CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

becoming a member

I'm thinking of getting a membership next year. I was thinking of getting one at glenmar AND one at greensmere or the canadian. I figure I've played enough golf this year to to have covered the cost of two memberships. Maybe if I get only one membership I can pocket an extra $1300 bucks next season and use that to play a different course a week with my friends since they probably won't want to play my home course everytime we play. Are there any courses in the kanata area that are "hidden gems" with really low membership fees that I should consider?

glenmar $1384.20 (includes $250 food and beverage and taxes!!)
    canadian $1795.00
    greensmere $2250+ txs

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    I've only word of mouth experience with the memberships at any of these courses, however I believe there is a long waiting list at Glenmar, and that Canadian has little to no time for their members as it has become a tournament course.

Good luck.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    thotho, where are you and what's your age?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Clublink may be the best option for you. Colby will mentor

2 Iron BOMBER is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Clublink may be the best option for you. Colby will mentor
    Isn't ClubLink A LOT more money than two memberships combined?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    When someone considers two memberships it seems that money is available.

Quote Originally Posted by BOMBER
    Isn't ClubLink A LOT more money than two memberships combined?
    It all depends on what you mean by a lot of money. Take the membership quoted at Greensmere...

$2250 plus taxes for initiation (payable over three years) plus 1800 per year. Not sure if there is a food and beverage fee.

Take the membership at Hautes Plaines - $6500 (payable over 6-10 years interest free. Or if you are under 30, at least 25, it's 15 years interest free) plus $2125 a year plus 470 for food and beverage. This gets you reciprocal golf at both Greyhawk courses and Val de Lacs in the Montreal area. Also if your course is closed for a Corporate event, you can move up another level and play Kanata, Fontainebleau and Le Maitre for free. That covers the courses in the Ottawa/Montreal area. Clublink has also stated that they would like to add at least two more courses in the Ottawa area. One of these would have to be gold level, so that Huates Plaines members could play there also. It doesn't make sense to have it as a platinum course. Then add in the Toronto area courses... There are 11 more courses at the silver and gold levels that are free for reciprocal play. And Glenn Abbey is available for $55 (plus cart) Then if you travel to the US, you pick up the ClubCorp option for $500cdn extra, and you get to play courses like Firestone for cart fee, which I did a few weeks ago. Guys are making trips to Palm Desert and playing the Clubcorp courses there (there are 4 or 5 of them) over a two week period. If you want a list of the courses available, check out http://www.clubline.com/map/index.htm.

Is it expensive, looking at the price, I guess it is, but add up some of the benefits and it starts to make more sense...

Yearly membership fee at Hautes Plaines - 2125
    play two rounds at Le Maitre (160/round) - 320 (savings)
    play one round at Glenn Abbey (230-55) - 175 (savings)
    Theoretical cost of membership - 1630

So except for the initiation fee, if you can play more than one course, the yearly fee soon starts paying for itself. Even Greyhawk's yearly fee, 2570, soon starts to make sense as you add in the platinum courses, 10 more (including the new Greg Norman course that will open in 2007) and the three prestige courses (when a full event happens). I've played Le Maitre 3 or 4 times this year and should get in one or two more. I've also got a a weekend in the muskokas planned where I will golf some more Clublink courses for free.

All depends on what you want to do...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

One other thing I forgot to mention is the new Intermediate membership. It allows for prorated membership fees beteen 25 and 30. For example, if you are 26, you only pay a certain percentage (50% but I could be wrong) of the yearly dues. Then it increases every year (10% I believe) until you are 31 and paying full dues.
    Colby

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Here is the deal with clublinks now. Play the rest of the season for free. Membership is $4600 spread over 6 years interest free or over 10 years if you are less than 30(well last year's promotion anyway)Annual fee slightly over 200 0and bar bill $235 every 3 months. That's for Hautes plaines and Greyhawk. Depending of which club and which time of membership you have you might have to pay extra. In other words you better play a lot of golf to get your money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Here is the deal with clublinks now. Play the rest of the season for free. Membership is $4600 spread over 6 years interest free or over 10 years if you are less than 30(well last year's promotion anyway)Annual fee slightly over 200 0and bar bill $235 every 3 months. That's for Hautes plaines and Greyhawk. Depending of which club and which time of membership you have you might have to pay extra. In other words you better play a lot of golf to get your money's worth.
    Actually the food and beverage is split into two halves, each 235 at Hautes Plaines, 325 at Greyhawk.
    Colby

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    I'm a member at Hautes Plaines and enjoyed my season (not over yet!!!!!). It's pretty easy to get along with other members and the cost is fairly reasonable for the quality of the course and the selection of other courses we have access to. If interested, I would contact the appropriate person (name of the clublink website) to have more and accurate information about deals that they are currently offering. I will be travelling to Toronto at the end of the month and can't decide which course I'm going to play(!) That's an atrocious decision to make, isn't it... Played all the other courses in Montreal area (Fontainebleau is amazing) and will be playing Le Maître later in the fall...

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road

Clublink is a great investment...

I've a member at Greyhawk for a couple years now and I believe this is the way to go. Not only do you get access to some good golf in Ottawa but the Montreal courses are only 80-100 minutes away. The cost for my membership is $2500 + 550 F&B and $700 annual dues. I have played approximately 65-70 rounds this summer with 6 of them @ Tremblant, 1 @ Fountainbleau and 1 @ Val-de-Lacs. The golf outside my club would have cost me $1000+ (I plan on playing at least three more rounds @ Tremblant and 1 @ Fountainbleau) When it's over, the cost of Golf through my Greyhawk membership is totally worth it. Not to mention the great practice facilities and the fact there are TWO courses at my home course to play (Meaning I can get a tee-off when I want one on Saturday morning!), the membership there is the most attractive option on the market. It does cost a bit of money but if you plan to golf as much as possible there are NO other options that can compare. Sure, there may be a few better courses in Ottawa (Marshes, Eagle Creek and the soon to be Clublink Stonebridge course), none of these have a membership that can really compare with the reciprocal play of Clublink.

Join the Clublink Nation - you won't regret it!

"Richard"
    I think I'm going to keep it simple, get the member ship and glen mar and then just play a few rounds here and there with friends. I just want to get better faster and I think lessons, pratice and playing will do that for me

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar

using Colby's math ...

Yearly membership fee at Greyhawk - 2475
    play 3 rounds at Le Maitre (160/round) - 480 (savings)
    played one round at Grandview (160/round) - 160 (savings)
    played two rounds at Lake Joseph (160/round) - 320 (savings)
    played 3 rounds at Rocky Crest (160/round) - 480 (savings)
    played two rounds at Fontainebleau (105/round) - 210 (savings)

Theoretical cost of membership - 825...
    (not to mention a couple of rounds at some nice courses in the GTA and 40 + rounds here in Ottawa)

A few more trips and my membership will have cost me nothing.

Seriously... I love Clublink for the quality of the courses, 4 hour rounds, and the great service.

"Richard"
    so club links you pay one fee and you play for free after that? Its not one of those things where you pay money and get discounted golf at courses right?

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    so club links you pay one fee and you play for free after that? Its not one of those things where you pay money and get discounted golf at courses right?
    It all depends on the level of the course. Clublink has 4 levels of courses (besides Glen Abbey) These are silver, gold, platinum and prestige. There are only three prestige courses in the stable of courses, King Valley, Rattlesnake Point and Greystone.

Let's take the courses in Ottawa:
    • Hautes Plaines is a Silver-level Club
    • Greyhawk is a Gold-level Club
    • Kanata is a Platinum-level Club
    The reciprocal rules state:

Silver Members have access to Silver, Gold and Daily Fee* Clubs without a reciprocal fee and subject to availability. Silver Club Members have reciprocal access to Platinum Member Clubs for a reciprocal fee of $55 and Prestige Member Clubs for a reciprocal fee of $80. In the event a Silver Member introduces three paying guests at one time, the reciprocal fee is waived when playing at Prestige and Platinum Member Clubs. The reciprocal fee is also waived at Platinum Member Clubs if the Silver Member’s Club is closed the entire day for a non-member, full shotgun event.
    *Excludes Glen Abbey

Gold Members have access to Platinum, Gold, Silver and Daily Fee* Clubs without a reciprocal fee and subject to availability. Gold Club Members have reciprocal access to Prestige Member Clubs for a reciprocal fee of $80. In the event a Gold Member introduces three paying guests at one time, the reciprocal fee is waived when playing at Prestige Member Clubs. The reciprocal fee is also waived at Prestige Member Clubs if the Gold Member’s Club is closed for the entire day for a non-member, full shotgun event.
    *Excludes Glen Abbey

Prestige and Platinum Members have access to Prestige, Platinum, Gold, Silver and Daily Fee* Clubs, without a reciprocal fee and subject to availability.
    *Excludes Glen Abbey

ClubLink Member Access To Glen Abbey Golf Club**
    On Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, Silver and Gold Club Members have limited access to Glen Abbey by paying the reciprocal fee ($55) plus the applicable cart fee from opening until 4:00 p.m. On Saturdays, Sundays and holidays, Prestige and Platinum Members have limited access before noon by paying the Reciprocal Fee ($55) plus the applicable cart fee. After 12:00 p.m. and until 4:00 p.m. Prestige and Platinum Members have limited access for only the cart fee. Practice range access is only available prior to a reserved tee time.
    **Subject to availability

This is found here - http://www.clublink.com/become_policies.html

So depending on the level of Club you belong to, you get more options available to you.
    Colby

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMulligan
    and the soon to be Clublink Stonebridge course),
    Here we go again (!?) Seriously, this topic has come up a million times on this site - I'd love to know definitively if Stonebridge will become a Clublink course - and Eagle Creek too for that matter... I'm about to build a house on at Eagle Creeek, and I'm hoping, purely on my own speculation that one day Mr. Lacasse will sell to Clublink... (not the sole reason for building there, but it would be nice)...

I guess I'm asking if the Stonebridge thing is pure speculation, or if there is any official truth to it... Apologies for cranking up this rumor mill again, but if there is anything new to report, that would be most helpful.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Here is my thing about this ClubLink system. It's great to mention courses like Glen Abby, but it's more like a coupon for that course. Another thing too...Yes, the courses for the Montreal area might be 90 or 100 minutes away, but factor in the price of gas, and the fact it's not like you can just drive over to the course and play without planning it, is another situation altogether.

I think the ClubLink membership is a very cool membership because you have the ability to play more than one course with a single membership. I'm just not sure what level those courses would fall under in the Ottawa area. What would they compare to? Could I compare their conditions or facilities to say other private courses in the Ottawa area, or even semi-private ones like Emerald Links and Stonebridge?

Here is my thing about this ClubLink system. It's great to mention courses like Glen Abby, but it's more like a coupon for that course. Another thing too...Yes, the courses for the Montreal area might be 90 or 100 minutes away, but factor in the price of gas, and the fact it's not like you can just drive over to the course and play without planning it, is another situation altogether.

I think the ClubLink membership is a very cool membership because you have the ability to play more than one course with a single membership. I'm just not sure what level those courses would fall under in the Ottawa area. What would they compare to? Could I compare their conditions or facilities to say other private courses in the Ottawa area, or even semi-private ones like Emerald Links and Stonebridge?
    I'm not saying that it reflects on the quality of the courses, but the Ottawa Citizen Amateur tournament that was held this year played at Kanata (Clublink), Stonebridge, Talon (Clublink) (Semi-finals) and Marshes (Championship) for the men and Loch March, Outaouais, Talon and Marshes for the women.

I've played most of the high-level courses in Ottawa, and the Clublink courses are easily the equivilent of Stonebridge and Emerald Links (which I do not like at all). Eagle Creek and the Marshes are a level above, I think, and there are detractors for every course no matter what. Kanata has lots of houses, but so does Stonebridge now, both usually have excellent conditions. Hautes Plaines is shorter, and has a couple of quirky holes, but the conditions there are ususally excellent and it makes you think about your shots instead of grip it and rip it. Greyhawk has some conditioning issues, especially on Predator where there was an issue with the greens, but they are coming around nicely, Talon has some issues with growth in the fairways/rough but the course is just over a year old and this will grow in over time. The greens on Talon have been very good all year.

But certainly the three Clublink courses in terms of conditioning and challenge of play, from the correct tees, are certainly among the top courses in the Ottawa area, public or private, especially given the age of the courses.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    I'm not saying that it reflects on the quality of the courses, but the Ottawa Citizen Amateur tournament that was held this year played at Kanata (Clublink), Stonebridge, Talon (Clublink) (Semi-finals) and Marshes (Championship) for the men and Loch March, Outaouais, Talon and Marshes for the women.

I've played most of the high-level courses in Ottawa, and the Clublink courses are easily the equivilent of Stonebridge and Emerald Links (which I do not like at all). Eagle Creek and the Marshes are a level above, I think, and there are detractors for every course no matter what. Kanata has lots of houses, but so does Stonebridge now, both usually have excellent conditions. Hautes Plaines is shorter, and has a couple of quirky holes, but the conditions there are ususally excellent and it makes you think about your shots instead of grip it and rip it. Greyhawk has some conditioning issues, especially on Predator where there was an issue with the greens, but they are coming around nicely, Talon has some issues with growth in the fairways/rough but the course is just over a year old and this will grow in over time. The greens on Talon have been very good all year.

But certainly the three Clublink courses in terms of conditioning and challenge of play, from the correct tees, are certainly among the top courses in the Ottawa area, public or private, especially given the age of the courses.
    Good info. I wasn't a huge fan of Emerald Links either, but there's no arguing that they have beautiful fairways and conditions all around. I'm a fan of courses that have nice carpet like fairways, like Eagle Creek etc... I really like playing on courses like that where I know pretty much what kind of a divot I'll take, and that the fairway is not mistaken for the first cut of rough. I also enjoy tee boxes that are cut like the fairway, not with longer grass. I guess I might be asking for too much, but if I'm going to shell out the kind of money that golf costs these days, I'll shell it out for conditions that meet my standards.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack
    Here we go again (!?) Seriously, this topic has come up a million times on this site - I'd love to know definitively if Stonebridge will become a Clublink course - and Eagle Creek too for that matter... I'm about to build a house on at Eagle Creeek, and I'm hoping, purely on my own speculation that one day Mr. Lacasse will sell to Clublink... (not the sole reason for building there, but it would be nice)...

I guess I'm asking if the Stonebridge thing is pure speculation, or if there is any official truth to it... Apologies for cranking up this rumor mill again, but if there is anything new to report, that would be most helpful.
    I'm not sure that you will ever see EC purchased by Clublink, from what I understand, Andre advertised the golf course for 13M. What I heard, and this is hearsay, is that Clublink offered 8M. I think unless EC went into serious financial difficulties, it will stay out of Clublink's hands.

Stonebridge has been the source of many rumours, and I still believe it is in the works, it's just a matter of time.

Clublink doesn't want to build any new courses, and supposedly wants another couple of courses in the Ottawa area. There's been rumours of Outaouis, Camelot, Stonebridge and Falcon (not quite Ottawa, but not too far away). No-one knows what will happen, certainly it is in the best interest of the courses to keep quiet on the subject. That being said, who would have expected Clublink to pick up National Pines and Toronto Board of Trade courses in the last couple of years.
    Colby

...Yes, the courses for the Montreal area might be 90 or 100 minutes away, but factor in the price of gas, and the fact it's not like you can just drive over to the course and play without planning it, is another situation altogether.
    True, although I have driven an hour to go play Upper Canada and thought nothing of it... driving an extra 30 minutes or so is no big deal. It is definitely a full day trip so you want to take advantage of it by playing a second round if you can. You could easily leave early in the morning, play two rounds, take a swim in the pool, have a meal and be back before dark.

As for the Toronto courses, you obviously need to stay over night. It works best if you do any business there or have relatives you can stay with. These courses are just a bonus to your membership and you really get value from your membership if you have the opportunity to play them.

I'm just not sure what level those courses would fall under in the Ottawa area. What would they compare to? Could I compare their conditions or facilities to say other private courses in the Ottawa area, or even semi-private ones like Emerald Links and Stonebridge?
    I have not played a single clublink course that did not have conditions far superior to most of the public courses. I would say even the worst clublink is equal to (or close to) Stonebridge. The nice courses are equal to eagle creek. Most of the platinum and the prestige courses are equal to Marshes... And the resort courses like Rocky Crest/Lake Joseph are like le Diable/Geant... they were some of the best courses I have ever played.

The nice courses are equal to eagle creek.

Which courses would these be? Are you talking in the Ottawa area? I don't know a single course in Ottawa that is on the same level as Eagle Creek. Not trying to argue, I'm just wondering if there are some hidden gems out there that I don't know about.

Which courses would these be? Are you talking in the Ottawa area? I don't know a single course in Ottawa that is on the same level as Eagle Creek. Not trying to argue, I'm just wondering if there are some hidden gems out there that I don't know about.
    No, not in Ottawa. I would agree with Colby that the Ottawa area courses are equal to Stonebridge. I agree with you on carpet-like fairways. Which is why I have always liked Hautes-Plaines (Dome). I would say HP is pretty close to EC as far as conditioning... Before you attack me on that one, I have only played EC a couple of times. It is at least in the same ball park... I am talking conditions of the fairways and not lay-out.

The gems would be the prestige/resort courses which are Mont Tremblant/Muskoka/Tremblant. And courses like National Pines/Heron Point/Glencairn.
    They may not be the same type of course as EC... but they are equal quality/condition/layout wise.

Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    No, not in Ottawa. I would agree with Colby that the Ottawa area courses are equal to Stonebridge. I agree with you on carpet-like fairways. Which is why I have always liked Hautes-Plaines (Dome). I would say HP is pretty close to EC as far as conditioning... Before you attack me on that one, I have only played EC a couple of times. It is at least in the same ball park... I am talking conditions of the fairways and not lay-out.

The gems would be the prestige/resort courses which are Mont Tremblant/Muskoka/Tremblant. And courses like National Pines/Heron Point/Glencairn.
    They may not be the same type of course as EC... but they are equal quality/condition/layout wise.

I've played the Dome before it changed names and I'll agree with you, the conditions were nice and very similar to Eagle Creek. My only complaint with that course is that it's too short for my liking. Two thumbs up to the greenskeeper there though.

Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road
    I have heard the new Anderson Links club (opening July 1, 2006 or so they say) will be offering memberships that will have playing rights at both Emerald Links & Cloverdale Links. (I call it GibLink!).

Anderson Links is supposed to have 36 holes when completed, E.L. has 27 and Cloverdale 18, add it up and you have 81 holes of golf. Not a bad selection! Can't wait to see the fees associated with the membership.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TA 845
    I have heard the new Anderson Links club (opening July 1, 2006 or so they say) will be offering memberships that will have playing rights at both Emerald Links & Cloverdale Links. (I call it GibLink!).

Anderson Links is supposed to have 36 holes when completed, E.L. has 27 and Cloverdale 18, add it up and you have 81 holes of golf. Not a bad selection! Can't wait to see the fees associated with the membership.
    Great news for you eastenders, not so much for us in the west though...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I have heard different with regards to Emerald Links/Cloverdale. First it was EL members could play both courses (plus Anderson links when it opened). Then I heard this was only true if you paid an extra couple of hundred $$ to upgrade your membership. Then, a couple of weeks ago I was playing with a teaching pro at EL and he said there was no privelages for EL members at CL... was he just mistaken??

Or is this a package deal they have planned for when AL opens next year? Anyone know?

Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73
    Or is this a package deal they have planned for when AL opens next year? Anyone know?
    That's what I had heard...

When I was flying in a few months ago, we flew over the location of Anderson links, and I'll be surprised if they open 36 holes on day 1. It looked, from above, that there was only room where they were building for 18 holes.

As far as I'm concerned though, you can keep Emerald links. There's a number of silly holes, at least to me, and I've been unimpressed with the arrogance of the place. The conditions are generally good, athough I have played it when they have not been, chewed up tee boxes and bumpy greens. I can't say what it is like now, as I have not played it for a couple of years.
    Colby

Thread Information