100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

harzard or out of bounds?

I'm a little confused by something. I hit a ball into some red stakes and it was playable but because it was behind the red stakes. Are red stakes marking the out of bounds or are they marking a water hazard?

Can someone tell me what each color stake means?

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Red and yellow stakes are hazards.

White stakes are out of bound.

Should had played your ball in the hazard but you can't ground your club just like a sandtrap.

Chambo

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl

Should had played your ball in the hazard but you can't ground your club just like a sandtrap.

Chambo

Red stakes are Lateral Water hazards with slightly different drop options comapred to the Yellow stakes marking Water hazards.

"Richard"
    got it, thanks guys So lets say I hit a ball into a lataral hazzard but don't find my ball cause its so far into the trees, what is the correct move? You drop where the ball crossed the hazard?

Yes, you drop in line with where you went in. You can go back as much as you want but have to keep the same line and not closer to the hole.

Chambo

"Richard"
    Drop in line? Does that mean you drop the ball between where it went in and the tee box? Going back as far as you want? Or are you saying in line with the point of entry to the hole extended backwards

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar

Chambo
    What is a sandtrap?

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Red stakes are Lateral Water hazards with slightly different drop options comapred to the Yellow stakes marking Water hazards.
    Lateral water hazard do not have different options than water hazards. Lateral water hazards have ADDITIONAL options.

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    got it, thanks guys So lets say I hit a ball into a lataral hazzard but don't find my ball cause its so far into the trees, what is the correct move? You drop where the ball crossed the hazard?
    You have three options when your ball is in a water hazard (yellow stakes).

1. Play it as it lies.
    2. Under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last ball was played.
    3. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped.

If your ball is in a lateral water hazard (red stakes), you have two additional options.

4. Drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard.

5. Drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

BTW - How can your ball be far into the trees when it is in a lateral water hazard? Trees don't normally grow underwater.

"Richard"
    I don't know gary, We were playing the west course at medows and there was a creek to the left of the fairway and some trees on the left of the stakes that were marking the creek. My ball landed in those trees on the elft side of the creek and we thought it was out of bounds so i re-teed and hit another one. A few days ago, there was another creek on the left side of the fairway and right at the left edge of the creek there were a TON of trees an i was in there. Its one of the reasons I'm so confused. Shouldnt they have had stakes, creek, stakes, trees? Not stakes, creek, trees...?

I don't know gary, We were playing the west course at medows and there was a creek to the left of the fairway and some trees on the left of the stakes that were marking the creek. My ball landed in those trees on the elft side of the creek and we thought it was out of bounds so i re-teed and hit another one. A few days ago, there was another creek on the left side of the fairway and right at the left edge of the creek there were a TON of trees an i was in there. Its one of the reasons I'm so confused. Shouldnt they have had stakes, creek, stakes, trees? Not stakes, creek, trees...?
    If you don't have reasonable evidence (99 44/100% sure) that your ball is IN the water hazard, then your ball is lost and Rule 27 applies.

FYI - I work at Meadows. Unfortunately, I am NOT in charge of the placement of hazard stakes.

"Richard"
    YOu work at medows? That course is the best course for its twilight price. $22 and you can finnish. I must compliment you guys on the condition of your course. I've played greensmere (lots of brown on the fairways), glemar (great condition but not as fun of a course) and the canadian (to much money for what it is but still a good course when it good condition but 17 is always bad) and medows beats them all hands down. Were you working today? How was the Ottawa U mens tournement?

YOu work at medows? That course is the best course for its twilight price. $22 and you can finnish. I must compliment you guys on the condition of your course. I've played greensmere (lots of brown on the fairways), glemar (great condition but not as fun of a course) and the canadian (to much money for what it is but still a good course when it good condition but 17 is always bad) and medows beats them all hands down. Were you working today? How was the Ottawa U mens tournement?
    Didn't anybody tell you that today was a holiday?

I am the fleet supervisor for their 169 electric and gas carts.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    Lateral water hazard do not have different options than water hazards. Lateral water hazards have ADDITIONAL options.
    Right. I know that. If they are ADDITIONAL then they are NOT the same. If they are not the same, they are different.

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Right. I know that. If they are ADDITIONAL then they are NOT the same. If they are not the same, they are different.
    I was trying to make it clear that NONE of the options for water hazards are different from the options for lateral waters hazards.

It is much easier to remember all the options if you think of water hazards having 3 options and lateral waters having an additional 2 options.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    BTW - How can your ball be far into the trees when it is in a lateral water hazard? Trees don't normally grow underwater.
    Is there even such thing as a "lateral water hazard" or should it just be called a lateral hazard? Because the hazard does not necessarily need to contain water, correct?

"Richard"
    a water hazard doesn't have to contain water Gary told me that a long time ago

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrace
    Is there even such thing as a "lateral water hazard" or should it just be called a lateral hazard? Because the hazard does not necessarily need to contain water, correct?
    There is no such thing as a lateral hazard. How can you have a lateral bunker

Definition
    A "hazard" is any bunker or water hazard.

Definition
    A "water hazard" is any sea, lake, pond, river, ditch, surface drainage ditch or other open water course (whether or not containing water) and anything of a similar nature on the course.

It doesn't have to contain water but it is a place where you would normally expect water. It can't be an open field or a hill.

Definition
    A "lateral water hazard" is a water hazard or that part of a water hazard so situated that it is not possible or is deemed by the Committee to be impracticable to drop a ball behind the water hazard in accordance with Rule 26-1b.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    What is a sandtrap?
    sand trap
    n.
    A hazard on a golf course consisting of a depression partly filled with sand.

"Richard"
    ^^^ ahah, I thought the same thing but its actually supposed to be reffered to as a bunker for some reason... but sandtrap works for me

Thanks Shivas.....

Sandtrap ..... bunkers ...... all the same in my book ...... lol

Chambo

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    sand trap
    n.
    A hazard on a golf course consisting of a depression partly filled with sand.
    I think Gary's point is that under the rules of golf, there is no such thing as a sandtrap. Under the definitions, it is:

Bunker A “bunker’’ is a hazard consisting of a prepared area of ground, often a hollow, from which turf or soil has been removed and replaced with sand or the like.
    Grass-covered ground bordering or within a bunker, including a stacked turf face (whether grass-covered or earthen), is not part of the bunker. A wall or lip of the bunker not covered with grass is part of the bunker.

The margin of a bunker extends vertically downward, but not upward. A ball is in a bunker when it lies in or any part of it touches the bunker.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by jbrace
    A water hazard does not necessarily have to contain water, but it does have to be a sea, lake, pond, river, ditch, surface drainage ditch or other open water course.

You will notice that "a bunch of trees where it is hard to find your ball and always slows down play" is NOT one of the items listed in the definition.

Thanks Shivas.....

Sandtrap ..... bunkers ...... all the same in my book ...... lol

Chambo
    And what book would that be?      

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Gary Hill]You will notice that "a bunch of trees where it is hard to find your ball and always slows down play" is NOT one of the items listed in the definition./QUOTE]
    Got it. So, those golf courses that arbitrarily mark such areas as "lateral hazards" (just using the term they use when they make players aware on their scorecard) to speed up play should not be doing that?

[QUOTE=jbrace]
    You will notice that "a bunch of trees where it is hard to find your ball and always slows down play" is NOT one of the items listed in the definition./QUOTE]
    Got it. So, those golf courses that arbitrarily mark such areas as "lateral hazards" (just using the term they use when they make players aware on their scorecard) to speed up play should not be doing that?
    Correct.

It is against the Rules and courses have no authority to mark trees as hazards. These courses run the risk of losing their accreditation with the RCGA.

"Richard"
    Gary, I think the red stakes that I hit into had a ditch so it was fine, but I can't understand why the other hole I hit into had red stakes... I'm not sure what hole it was. There were red stakes on the left side of the green. I think there might have been a tree between the fairway and the tee box. A little to the left maybe. Does that mean it was not marked correctly?
    Or maybe there was a ditch or something, I was in the process of throwing my club at my bag and didn't really pay much attention

Thread Information