100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron BOMBER is on a distinguished road

Which golf balls?

Just curious as to which balls you mid to low handicappers are using. I've been trying to find one that suits my game recently. I've been pretty happy with the Nike One Black and the Nike One Platinum. I've also tried the Ben Hogan Tour Deep. I felt the Hogans had a bit too much spin off the tee for my liking though, but nice feel around the green.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I use either the Strata Tour Premier or the Maxfli Revolution Tour.

The Revo is now discontinued so you might some on closeout.

The Strata is a very good ball for the money. Spin is just right for me off the irons. I really hit down on the ball, and the really soft ones spin too much for me.

Lob Wedge golf18 is on a distinguished road golf18's Avatar
    I like the Titleist ProV1. It is very soft and extremely long. I have been playing it for about 2 years and I don't have a single complaint. Well maybe one complaint, I haven't had an "ace" yet.
    [url="http://www.fairwayfinders.com"]http://www.fairwayfinders.com[/url] - Golf Website

Quote Originally Posted by golf18
    I like the Titleist ProV1. It is very soft and extremely long. I have been playing it for about 2 years and I don't have a single complaint. Well maybe one complaint, I haven't had an "ace" yet.

I really like the ProV1 and the ProV1x. They have awesome feel around the green, and really good feel with the irons. My only complaint about those balls is that if you are off just a bit with your driver, they aren't very forgiving.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I also like the ProV1s. They are the only ball that I can really tell the difference with around the green. You can really shoot at the pin with them when pitching, chipping, etc. However, too much $ for me so I play them as I find them. I don't find them particularly long - good but not outstanding, but believe me I need all the help I can get around the green as opposed to more distance. The exact opposite are the Pinnacle golds! At least a club longer than most other balls, but useless around the green!

When I am paying, the Titleist SoLos are a good comprimise. I find them as long as the ProVs (maybe a tad longer), and fairly decent around the greens.

BTW, driver swing speed ~101mph (240ish carry), fairly straight hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by byerxa
    I also like the ProV1s. They are the only ball that I can really tell the difference with around the green. You can really shoot at the pin with them when pitching, chipping, etc. However, too much $ for me so I play them as I find them. I don't find them particularly long - good but not outstanding, but believe me I need all the help I can get around the green as opposed to more distance. The exact opposite are the Pinnacle golds! At least a club longer than most other balls, but useless around the green!

When I am paying, the Titleist SoLos are a good comprimise. I find them as long as the ProVs (maybe a tad longer), and fairly decent around the greens.

BTW, driver swing speed ~101mph (240ish carry), fairly straight hitter.

Good info. Maybe I'll pickup a sleeve of the Solo's and give them a try. The ProV1's are crazy expensive, and I'm not one to play balls that I find.

Keep them coming boys.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I've been playing the Wilson smart core all year. Decent ball but does not bite on the green unless you play a course like Hautes Plaines formerly named le Dome. On courses like the Champlain I always get some forward roll once the ball lands on the green and even more so on the 2 new greens(1st and 13). Same deal at the Chateau Cartier.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Strata Tour Ultimate

Get them at www.knetgolf.com Mint are about $20 per dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Strata Tour Ultimate

I'm not a fan of playing used golf balls. You never know how long they were sitting before they were found, or if they were sitting on the bottom of a pond before they were found. I'd rather play something out of a box so I know the condition they're in.

True enough, but the mint balls really are in virtually perfect condition. At half price they are a better ball than I'd get for the same money buying brand new cheepies.
    Either way the Strata Tour Ultimate is a great ball. Soft and straight with excellent spin for grip on the greens.

True enough, but the mint balls really are in virtually perfect condition. At half price they are a better ball than I'd get for the same money buying brand new cheepies.
    Either way the Strata Tour Ultimate is a great ball. Soft and straight with excellent spin for grip on the greens.

I'll try some of them too. Ultimately, I'm trying to narrow it down to one or two different balls that I feel will work best for my game. I think so far that the Nike One Platinum is in the lead, but I'll give the two afformentioned balls a try.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Strata Tour Ultimate

If you get them on eBay from knet, they're about $10-12/dozen.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/3-DOZEN-Strata-To...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.ca/5-DOZEN-Strata-To...QQcmdZViewItem

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BOMBER
    I'll try some of them too. Ultimately, I'm trying to narrow it down to one or two different balls that I feel will work best for my game. I think so far that the Nike One Platinum is in the lead, but I'll give the two afformentioned balls a try.
    I could not help noticing that your post was at 9:16AM this morning. Now you should be out trying out those golf balls at this time of day Man I was just about on the back 9 by then!
    As for Knet golf balls, I have bought 10 dozen NXT's off them, the Mint Conditon balls. I have not had a dud ball yet and for $75 Cnd to my door for 5 dozen balls I did not go wrong. Buddy of mine buys his PRO V's there too and he has no complaints.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

If you get them on eBay from knet, they're about $10-12/dozen.
    Hmmm.... Thanks!!!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure all they're doing is reselling me the same balls over and over again, it gets expensive when I think about it that way...

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    I could not help noticing that your post was at 9:16AM this morning. Now you should be out trying out those golf balls at this time of day Man I was just about on the back 9 by then!
    As for Knet golf balls, I have bought 10 dozen NXT's off them, the Mint Conditon balls. I have not had a dud ball yet and for $75 Cnd to my door for 5 dozen balls I did not go wrong. Buddy of mine buys his PRO V's there too and he has no complaints.

I had my clubs re-gripped today so I couldn't play. I got Golf Pride V-55's on the bunch.

I had my clubs re-gripped today so I couldn't play. I got Golf Pride V-55's on the bunch.
    Nice cord grips, I have those on my irons, no need to wear a glove!
    Man you need to get your priorities straight! You regrip on a day you are not going to be able to play.

As for golfballs, I have found I really like Titleist NXT's. That is all I buy for the summer months. I get them through Knet Golf.

I play Loco's when it gets colder, below 6C. I find they are a bit softer than the NXT's in cold weather.

The bottom line with golf balls is this. Try em all, well at least the middle to high end balls. To be honest if you are not a single digit player I doubt Pro V's will be of any benefit to your game. ProV'X balls require a high club head speed. Middle priced balls will likely suit your game. I am a single digit and as I said I play NXT's. I have tried ProV's and to be honest I do not notice a lot of difference. I do not put a lot of spin on my iron shots so I have adjusted to play the NXT's for some release on the greens. Chipping and putting, I do fine with those balls.

Once you find a ball you like stick with it. Reason being you will know how the ball reacts with your irons, your putter, when chipping and pitching. This is a big advantage to your game.

Good Luck, let us know what you settle on!
    Rick
    I only play golf on days that end with a Y
    Last edited by Golfbum; 09-03-2005 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Nice cord grips, I have those on my irons, no need to wear a glove!
    Man you need to get your priorities straight! You regrip on a day you are not going to be able to play.

As for golfballs, I have found I really like Titleist NXT's. That is all I buy for the summer months. I get them through Knet Golf.

I play Loco's when it gets colder, below 6C. I find they are a bit softer than the NXT's in cold weather.

The bottom line with golf balls is this. Try em all, well at least the middle to high end balls. To be honest if you are not a single digit player I doubt Pro V's will be of any benefit to your game. ProV'X balls require a high club head speed. Middle priced balls will likely suit your game. I am a single digit and as I said I play NXT's. I have tried ProV's and to be honest I do not notice a lot of difference. I do not put a lot of spin on my iron shots so I have adjusted to play the NXT's for some release on the greens. Chipping and putting, I do fine with those balls.

Once you find a ball you like stick with it. Reason being you will know how the ball reacts with your irons, your putter, when chipping and pitching. This is a big advantage to your game.

Good Luck, let us know what you settle on!
    Rick
    I only play golf on days that end with a Y

I'm in the low single digits for my handicap, but I've only played a handful of rounds this year because I moved accross the country. I think I'll pick up some NXT's and give them a whirl on Monday. I'm playing Outaouais around 3 PM. Hopefully we'll get a full round in.

I have a review on the NXT's.

So I was playing at Outaouais yesterday with a member on the East course and I decided to buy a dozen NXT Tour's because they are cheap for members compared to buying them at Golf Town.

I don't really see how you can compare the NXT to the ProV1 unless you really aren't that great of a golfer. I noticed the difference the first time I hit them to tell you the truth. They feel hard as hell when you make contact and really aren't soft when you play them around the green. I was very skeptical about them not really being that different. I mean when you pay $20 extra, or more, for a dozen of ProV1's, you'd expect a difference in ball. The ProV1 is MUCH longer, and MUCH softer than the NXT. I had a sleeve of ProV1's, and those NXT's to compare. On one hole, I teed up the NXT, then the ProV1. I hit the same shot but it went further with the ProV1 and didn't feel like I was hitting a rock either.

To tell you the absolute truth, the Nike One Platinum is softer and longer than the NXT Tour.

I guess I'll be sticking to the ProV1 and the Nike One Platinum.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

usually play the Strata Tour Ace

but bought a box of the Maxfli Revoution Tours recently. Played on Friday and really like the ball. Seems to be quite long, with a good amount of spin for around the greens.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    but bought a box of the Maxfli Revoution Tours recently. Played on Friday and really like the ball. Seems to be quite long, with a good amount of spin for around the greens.
    How much for a dozen?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

on sale last week

for $19.99 a dozen at sport chek.

I should also add they seem to be incredibly durable. Played the whole round with one and it is still good to go.

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    Found a Maxfly Blackmax in a ball washer. I guess someone got distracted by the beer cart girl. Ppayed 36 holes with it. Very durable, tons of feel, as long but not as much bite as the Pro-V. Feels like Callaway's HX Tour but more durable. Only one sleeve of Pro-Vs to go through and I'll get a dz of Blackmax.

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDAH
    Found a Maxfly Blackmax in a ball washer. I guess someone got distracted by the beer cart girl. Ppayed 36 holes with it. Very durable, tons of feel, as long but not as much bite as the Pro-V. Feels like Callaway's HX Tour but more durable. Only one sleeve of Pro-Vs to go through and I'll get a dz of Blackmax.

Cool. Thanks for the review.

I have a review on the NXT's.

So I was playing at Outaouais yesterday with a member on the East course and I decided to buy a dozen NXT Tour's because they are cheap for members compared to buying them at Golf Town.

I don't really see how you can compare the NXT to the ProV1 unless you really aren't that great of a golfer. I noticed the difference the first time I hit them to tell you the truth. They feel hard as hell when you make contact and really aren't soft when you play them around the green. I was very skeptical about them not really being that different. I mean when you pay $20 extra, or more, for a dozen of ProV1's, you'd expect a difference in ball. The ProV1 is MUCH longer, and MUCH softer than the NXT. I had a sleeve of ProV1's, and those NXT's to compare. On one hole, I teed up the NXT, then the ProV1. I hit the same shot but it went further with the ProV1 and didn't feel like I was hitting a rock either.

To tell you the absolute truth, the Nike One Platinum is softer and longer than the NXT Tour.

I guess I'll be sticking to the ProV1 and the Nike One Platinum.
    Bomber I did not say the NXT was as good as the Pro V. I realize the PRO V is a better ball. However I just don't like the PRO V for some reason. Now maybe it is because I have not played it enough to get used to it. I know what the NXT's do as I have played them for a few years. It's all what you get used to in a golf ball. By the way I am single digit. I just prefer NXT's.

A friend of mine was playing the new Callaway HX Tour yesterday and man he was taking those deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep off the tee! He normally plays PRO V's but said he liked the new Callaway.

One thing I do know, find a ball you like and stick with it. At least that way you will know how the ball reacts.

Remember when the MC Lady came out? Man those things were selling like crazy once people found out a couple of Nationwide players were using them! I remember that those balls were hard to find in this area at the time. Now they are dirt cheap and everywhere!

If you have golfed a long time you might remember the old TopFlite HOT XL's? Man those were STONES! Like hitting a rock on a cold day

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

Balls

It's funny that you said that the NXT felt like rocks as for me I have been playing those for over a year and for me the ProV feel like rock, mind you I am not a single digit hdcp and maybe my swing speed is not fast enough for the ProV. I was on a site and they said that the ball compression of the NXT was 85 and the ProV was like 90 so the NXT should feel softer. I guess it is a question of preference but for me the NXT goes further than the ProV.
    Just my opinion
    Thanks
    Claude

Bomber I did not say the NXT was as good as the Pro V.

No, you said this though....

I am a single digit and as I said I play NXT's. I have tried ProV's and to be honest I do not notice a lot of difference.
    That's fair enough. I guess I was just surprised by this because I played one after the other on a couple of holes and they were like night and day off the tee and off the fairway for feel. One felt like a rock, the other felt soft.

On another note...

Since Callaway was mentioned, I'll say something about them. I really don't think it's a good idea to be producing 6 different kinds of balls. It's just more confusion for golfers than anything.

I do remember the Top Flite balls. They felt like they were made of solid glass.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Has anyone else tried those new Wilson Hope balls? They have what looks like a clear coat on them. Weird looking ball, with a strange feel off the putter - soft, but a strange sort of soft. Didn't like it for the driver at all. I think they're being marketed as a ladies ball.
    For me the best compromise of distance & feel are the Titelist SoLo & Maxfli Noodle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Has anyone else tried those new Wilson Hope balls? They have what looks like a clear coat on them. Weird looking ball, with a strange feel off the putter - soft, but a strange sort of soft. Didn't like it for the driver at all. I think they're being marketed as a ladies ball.
    For me the best compromise of distance & feel are the Titelist SoLo & Maxfli Noodle.
    Last summer I met the Wilson rep at the local golf store. He gave me a couple of sleeves of balls to try. Man they were like rocks! When I putted them all I heard was a loud clicking sound! Apparently they redesigned them Same thing with an iron shot, CLANK. Funny dimple pattern too, it was really weird.
    There was No Hope for those Wilson golf balls!

Lob Wedge TheNextTiger is on a distinguished road
    I love to play Pro V's when I find them - they are a fantastic ball. However, they are just too expensive to buy, so I tend to get the DT Solo. I find they fit my game very well. Good distance with the driver, fairly forgiving, and a fairly soft feel that will hold the green. I highly recommend them for the price.

Thread Information