100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Longest club - 2 club lengths

My friend (the cheater) is about 6'4 and he bought one of those putters than come up under his chin and its total length is 61 inches. So we were teeing up on a par three and there was a hole that was 105 yards and he doesn't carry a gap wedge so he pulled put the putter and tee up two club lengths behind the white markers and used his pitch which goes 115 yards, knocked the ball right into the cup!!! I disputed it and said, great shot and you can tell people you had a hole in one but you can't mark it on the score card. He asked me why, I told him that you can't use a 61 inch putter to move 10 yards farther back to play your yardage. I told him this before he teed up as well but he didn't listen... He asked me for a rule that says he can't do it and I since I don't know the rules that well I couldn't say anything. I told him, fine play another ball and see what happens and if I'm wrong you can use the ace and if i'm right you use whatever you get on this hole. So he teed up another one, shanked it and it went in the water, hit another and put it on the back of the green and then 3 putt which gave him a 6. Since he only beat me by 1 shots (he had an 84 and I had an 85) the ruling makes a difference of who won and since we were playing for $25 a stroke I either owe him $25 or he owes me $100.. so whats the rule?
    Last edited by "Richard"; 09-01-2005 at 11:29 PM.

Pitching Wedge Rye is on a distinguished road Rye's Avatar
    I think you owe him $25 thotho, and maybe a few beers too for raining on his hole-in-one parade.

If I'm not mistaken, for that kind of measurement you are allowed to use any of your clubs, including a long putter if that's what you happen to carry in your bag...

"Richard"
    I was really good about it. I was jumping up and down with him screaming OMG Holy #$%$ and so on but told him that there has to be something in the rules about that. He was good about it as well. Replayed the shot and there wasnt any negative feelings towards eachother. He will always have the hole in one even if it doesn't count. We are good like that, don't take golf too too seriously but try to play by the rules as best we can now that we are keeping track of our handicaps. Eitherway I'm happy that he got an ace but I just don't want shell out $25 if I actually am supposed to have $100 coming to me, thats a swing of $125.. I beleive that you are right but I'm going to wait for gary to answer this one just to be sure.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    I hate to lighten your wallet, but .....

For the purpose of measuring, a player may use any club he has selected for that round.

"Richard"
    doesn't seem fair but I'll let him know. Thanks gary. But what is to stop someone from carry two putters if they only carry 13 clubs (second putter would be 14) and get a 90 inch putter and use that one for par 3's to play to his yardage? From what I understand the tee box extends back two club lengths so this guy would have a tee box that is twice as big anyone elses and a tee box that is 15 feet deep is a huge advantage. You can drop it anywhere in there and since its 15 yards you can easily use that to play to your yardage. Just a thought. But I'll cover his next round at medows ($22 twilight) and call it even. It was a pretty sick hole in one. It just caught the front of the cup on its final rotation.. that sucker was almost out of gas

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    But what is to stop someone from carry two putters if they only carry 13 clubs (second putter would be 14) and get a 90 inch putter and use that one for par 3's to play to his yardage?
    Nothing.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    doesn't seem fair but I'll let him know. Thanks gary. But what is to stop someone from carry two putters if they only carry 13 clubs (second putter would be 14) and get a 90 inch putter and use that one for par 3's to play to his yardage? From what I understand the tee box extends back two club lengths so this guy would have a tee box that is twice as big anyone elses and a tee box that is 15 feet deep is a huge advantage. You can drop it anywhere in there and since its 15 yards you can easily use that to play to your yardage. Just a thought. But I'll cover his next round at medows ($22 twilight) and call it even. It was a pretty sick hole in one. It just caught the front of the cup on its final rotation.. that sucker was almost out of gas

He could also learn a 3/4 swing or get a gap wedge

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    2 club lengths of 61" is just over ten feet not 10 yards. That is still only a little over 3 yards. Since a driver would give him about 50", you are only talking a difference of 20-22"

This is less than two feet or 0.6 yards. Not really much of an advantage.
    Last edited by jmr73; 09-02-2005 at 11:20 AM. Reason: ...

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    I wondered how long it would be before someone did the math.

"Richard"
    ahaha, I was coverting inches to feet and then calling them yards

Didn't Canada go metric a few years back?

Thread Information