CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chip vs. Pitch

Ty Webb

Chip vs. Pitch

I understand that chipping is used when close to the green but at what point (distance) is a chip not used and the pitch incorporated? I can chip that ball a long way.

Ty

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb
    I understand that chipping is used when close to the green but at what point (distance) is a chip not used and the pitch incorporated? I can chip that ball a long way.

Ty
    Personally, I don't think there is a right answer to this question.

There are so many factors that come into play for the short game: lie of the ball, location in fairway or rough, whether trees or hazards are in play, elevated greens, how much green you have to work with, speed of the greens, whether the greens are hard or soft, etc. - not to mention your own skills at executing some shots better than others. I don't think you can definatively break it down strictly by distance.

The bottom line is that it only matters where the ball ends up - not how it got there. If you consider a bump-and-run to be a kind of chip shot, then I've chipped on from over 100 yards. If you consider a flop to be a kind of pitch shot, then I've pitched on from 5 yards. Some guys putt with a utility club or fairway wood from 20 yards off the green, others use a putter while others chip instead. They all can work.

IMHO, whatever works for you is the right shot to choose.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Ty
    The old fashioned differences between a chip and a pitch were simple. A chip rolled farther than it flew and was hit with a 5,6,7 iron and a pitch flew farther than it rolled, was usually hit with a wedge, and both were recovery shots from around the green.

As the game evolved and most golf courses grew long rough just a few feet off the green, the high lofted wedges were used, but the ball still rolled farther than it flew, in many instances, and the word chip was again used to describe the shot.

I would love to see more fringe around greens, say 6' to 10' feet instead of 1' to 3' so that the true chip and run was used more. It is an easier shot than a pitch from rough but less used now than in the olden days.

Lob Wedge TheNextTiger is on a distinguished road
    Generally I try to keep the ball as low as possible and putt/chip from off the green...however if this isnt possible because there is little green to work with or a bunker in the way or something then I will pitch the ball or even hit the flop shot...but in my opinion the general rule should be to keep the ball as low as possible because the margin for error is greater therefore making the shot easier to exectute...also, your worst chip will be a lot better than your worst pitch

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Ty
    It all depends what you consider a chip and a pitch. To me a chip is around the green but a pitch is from 50 yrds in. It may be the same motion but the club selection and how hard you hit the will change. Outside 50 yrds a use a wedge and fly the whole distance, which I consider an approach shot. A chip you want it to start rolling quickly and almost be like a putt, where as a pitch you need in to fly a bit more since you have more fairway or rough in front of you and then have it role. Both of these shots I keep fairly low and penetrating, thats just my definition, others will think totally different.

Thread Information