CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Yes but it was just to have some fun, seing as we arent playing today.
    Some aren't playing. I tee off at 3:00
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Some aren't playing. I tee off at 3:00
    It's ok dave, I have a tee off in the morning
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

2 Iron BOMBER is on a distinguished road

Mine is for 4:09 at Eagle Creek. Should I laugh at the people who tee off 11 minutes before me for paying almost double the price?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You could, but they'd probably be a long way off, since those times just in front of twilight are seldom sold.
    You should be able to play quickly though. Nobody in front of you.

Stonebridge at 8:20 am for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    You could, but they'd probably be a long way off, since those times just in front of twilight are seldom sold.
    You should be able to play quickly though. Nobody in front of you.

Hopefully. I'm playing with a buddy who isn't the same calibre as I am, so it might be a bit slower than I'm used to.

Lob Wedge Wrexxer is on a distinguished road
    played Emerald Links yesterday and the green where punched....and they had just done 3 fairways in front of us...still had the turds in the fairway...it wasn't pretty and it sucked they should of warned us or put us on the south

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Renfrew tonight as soon as I fred flintstone my way (yabba dabba do!) down the dinosaur and out the door here at 5pm, and tee off at 5:25. back home by 7. yeah with this weather it will be a 70 minute 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Renfrew tonight as soon as I fred flintstone my way (yabba dabba do!) down the dinosaur and out the door here at 5pm, and tee off at 5:25. back home by 7. yeah with this weather it will be a 70 minute 9.

I'd like to play there before I leave. Are you a member?

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BOMBER
    I'd like to play there before I leave. Are you a member?
    Yes. I love the course tremendously

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Yes. I love the course tremendously
    I might be looking for a partner to play out there if you're around or are interested.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    I heard the Stones skipped 16 at the Marshes because they were punching it when they played yesterday. I wonder if they were concerned about getting a discount?
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=10459
    A discount from what? You don't think they actually had to PAY to play the course, do you?
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Bommer and Sakuraba:
    Please take it to PM's or move to arrange a game. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    A discount from what? You don't think they actually had to PAY to play the course, do you?
    Yah, I guess you're right. They did not charge enough for tickets to the show to be able to afford to play there.

I have a tee time tomorrow also... Oh and Friday
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I have a tee time tomorrow also... Oh and Friday
    How about saturday and sunday you

How about saturday and sunday you
    It's a cleanup weekend I was supposed to play Sat, Sun and Monday.
    Colby

It's a cleanup weekend I was supposed to play Sat, Sun and Monday.
    Thanks for reminding me, I gotta get tee time for monday too now.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    So Golfbum, you would have no problem paying $115 to tee it up at the Marshes & play on greens that are punched & top-dressed?
    First issue here is this. If I was going to pay $115 for green fees I would be asking in advance about greens being worked on. Pretty simple to just ask when booking a tee time.

Come on guys you are beating a dead horse here. All you have to do is ask. Is that so hard to do? Or do you expect everything in life to be handed to you on a silver platter?

Or maybe you want every course to take out a half page ad in the local rags stating:

"HELLO GOLFERS.

Butt Creek Golf Club will be punching and top dressing the greens this week. So we do not want you to book any tee times this week, and possibly next as we know you expect to play on a perfect course.

Sorry for the inconvience that we might have caused you and your golf buddies. But if we do not do this work then our greens will be crap in the spring and you will whine then!

I am sure that Rock Hard Greens Country Club will be quite willing to take your hard earned cash when you go there and pay green fees.

THANK YOU, THE MANAGEMENT AT BUTT CREEK GOLF CLUB"

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Pretty simple to just ask when booking a tee time.

Pretty simple to tell somone when they call as well.
    You are right about one thing, we are beating a dead horse for sure.
    Poorly run courses are simply not going to mention top dressed or punched greens, and courses like Mississippi and Renfrew that are properly run, will.
    I'll take my money to those courses and know what I'm getting, you can go play Butt Creek.
    Last edited by Shivas Irons; 09-01-2005 at 08:57 AM.

....you can go play Butt Creek.
    HAHAHA!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    [/font]

Poorly run coursers are not simply going to mention top dressed or punched greens, and courses like Mississippi and Renfrew that are properly run, will.
    I'll take my money to those courses and know what I'm getting, you can go play Butt Creek.

couldn't agree more. It's about customer service, plain and simple.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Give me a break!
    It's up the customer to ask if the product that is being presented is up to par? I don't think so.
    So you never do any research before buying anything???? I've got some land to sell you in South Florida.....

This is the reason the information is not offered is a matter of getting your $$$.
    Which you seem willing to give up without a fight....or even a whimper.

As far as picking up your ball on the first green - that might work except:

1. - a course that charges full price & does not inform you of the inferior quality of the greens is unlikely to refund your money or provide a raincheck.
    2. - as was already pointed out about walking off the course - then what ? not play at all?
    3. with gas at over a buck a litre, I don't really want to drive for half an hour or more to NOT play golf.

Tell you what, all you chumps who want to pay full price to play on top dressed greens, go right ahead & enjoy your round, I hear P.T. Barnum has a course just for you.
    I'll patronize the courses, such as Renfrew, who, when the greens were not up to par advised people over the phone and offered a discount like any GOOD business person should.
    You have missed the point completely. My suggestion for leaving the course is a possible solution to your refusal to protect your own money, which apparently you want to do, but only by not wasting gas driving to a golf course, the staff of which you would not ask a simple question when you booked over the phone. At only one half hour away, I assume it is a local call, so that did not cost any $$ either cudos for your pocketbook.

If your reference to Renfrew was when they re-built their greens several years ago, that is a completely different scenario then simply top dressing and aerating. Otherwise I do not know of the situation there.

But I digress....

[/font]

Poorly run courses are simply not going to mention top dressed or punched greens, and courses like Mississippi and Renfrew that are properly run, will.
    The Cart Babes are AWESOME AT BUTT CREEK

I just came from my course, I was informed our greens would be punched and dressed on Sept 19-21. So they know ahead of time. Today they were putting slits in the back 9 greens to let some air get to the roots. It was not a big issue for myself and my playing partner.

I talked to a buddy on the range, he played a course that charges $80 (Firerock) yesterday. Shot +8 and told me the greens had been punched and dressed the day before. I asked how he putted, he said great, greens really rolled nice.

So it all comes down to how good the guys are when they do the greens.

Was he ticked the greens had been done? Not at all, he said he would go back to that course in a heartbeat.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    So you never do any research before buying anything???? I've got some land to sell you in South Florida.........
    You do research to book tee times at courses you've played before? Right.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    You have missed the point completely.....
    Nope, but you did.

Here is the gist of the original thread:

Any opinions on courses giving discount rates when their greens have holes in them that make it like playing a game of Plinco on Price is Right?

It is my opinion that as a courtesy, the pro shop could mention this at the time of booking OR offer some kind of small compensation.

You feel the course should not offer this information, but I feel that's poor customer service. I'll continue to frequent the courses that provide good service, and since you don't mind paying full price for half the product, you can continue to frequent those courses that don't.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Yes all good greens are going to get punched, if they didn't then they wouldn't be as good. I work at a golf course and I will let the people know when are greens have been punched, because I know that paying full price for punched greens isen't exactly fair. What I don't understand is that even after telling them the greens have been punched they still complain. What are we supposed to do? Also about doing 9 holes one week and the other 9 the other week, the reason they don't do that is that aerating greens is a pretty lenghthy job and it would be combersome to have all that equipment out and just do 9 holes. In addition the greens would be growing in all differently if you waited too long. It's not just punching them, it's top dressing, picking up cleaning all the little pieces of green and brushing the greens, and it takes time. So most Super's will want to get the job done as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    Yes all good greens are going to get punched, if they didn't then they wouldn't be as good. I work at a golf course and I will let the people know when are greens have been punched, because I know that paying full price for punched greens isen't exactly fair. What I don't understand is that even after telling them the greens have been punched they still complain. What are we supposed to do? Also about doing 9 holes one week and the other 9 the other week, the reason they don't do that is that aerating greens is a pretty lenghthy job and it would be combersome to have all that equipment out and just do 9 holes. In addition the greens would be growing in all differently if you waited too long. It's not just punching them, it's top dressing, picking up cleaning all the little pieces of green and brushing the greens, and it takes time. So most Super's will want to get the job done as fast as possible.
    BRAVO, Thanks for explaining that to those who do not realize how much work goes into looking after greens. Not to mention a lot of courses rent the machine that does the coring on the greens. So they do not want it sitting around for two weeks.
    You're a good man Flagolfnut for taking time to fill everyone in on this issue There will be a little extra in your pay cheque next week

BRAVO, Thanks for explaining that to those who do not realize how much work goes into looking after greens. Not to mention a lot of courses rent the machine that does the coring on the greens. So they do not want it sitting around for two weeks.
    You're a good man Flagolfnut for taking time to fill everyone in on this issue There will be a little extra in your pay cheque next week

I work at a golf course and I will let the people know when are greens have been punched, because I know that paying full price for punched greens isen't exactly fair.
    I think this is the point people were making, not whether or not they need to be done. Were you even reading the thread?

What are you talking about?
    You are among those who attempted to sidetrack this discussion by making an issue out of whether the greens need to be top dressed or punched - that's not the issue here, we ALL know that work needs to be done.

For your assistance the original question was :

Any opinions on courses giving discount rates when their greens have holes in them that make it like playing a game of Plinco on Price is Right?

We are not debating whether the work needs to be done or not, but...
    you conveniently omitted any reference to this part of flagolfnuts post:

Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    I work at a golf course and I will let the people know when are greens have been punched, because I know that paying full price for punched greens isen't exactly fair.

Good on you flagolfnut. This is just common courtesy, and good business practice.
    Last edited by Shivas Irons; 09-02-2005 at 08:21 AM.

I think we all agree that the work needs to be done. I think we can all agree that paying full price when the course is not in the best of shape is unfair. That being said, the likelihood of changing the mindset of course owners is pretty slim. We can banter back and forth all day if we want and it won't affect course prices because there is always someone will to go pay that price to play the course.

It's like gas prices. No matter what we do, until the markets decide that gas is worth less than what they are paying now, we are going to keep paying higher and higher fuel costs.
    Colby

Thread Information