100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Course reviews

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Course reviews

A lot of courses in the area are dry now. We need rain badly. There is only so much you can do without an unlimited supply of water. It's impossible to keep the grass green and the turf soft when the ponds dry up.

When "negatively reviewing" a course here, please remember to be polite, and to not rant. Rants will be removed. We do not like to remove threads, nor do we like to see good courses flamed because we're in a drought.

It would be nice to hear what courses are in good shape despite the dry conditions.

2 Iron BOMBER is on a distinguished road
    Yes, please tell us which courses are in good shape. This thread will be helpful for me especially. I'm from Ottawa but moved to Alberta and I'm in town till the 15th of September and want to play as much as I can.

Thanks

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    Are we talking overall good? There are a lot of courses that still have really nice greens and fringes, and that is all I hope for. the rest are added bonuses.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

There are a lot of courses that still have really nice greens and fringes, and that is all I hope for. the rest are added bonuses.
    You are not alone in that beefstuf. State that that's the case, it's good to know.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    I have to say I'm pretty impressed with just about all courses. The greens this year started in pretty bad shape, and they've done a lot with little rain. Plus, who can complain with all this sunshine? You'd think we have nice weather here.

Went to Emerald Links the other day. Overall, great shape. Some noticeable difference in quality of greens between 9s, but good overall. Amazing thing, Saturday morning round, you'd swear we owned the course.

Packenhams greens were in great shape last I played (about 1 week)...the fairways are as expected, ok, but the greens make the course.

Eagle Creek, good shape.

Le Sorcier, getting dry, but good shape. Its a hard ground beneath, but that's year round...

Vieux Moulins was good, considering lack of water. See note for Le Sorcier...

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    I have not played nearly as much golf as normal, but in the last few weeks I have been to the following.

Upper Canada: overall great shape. They have that river that helps them a lot. Greens are nice, and the fairways are ok.

Stonebridge: greens are true, fast, and hard. The fairways are always beautiful, but not as spongy as normal. But you do get extra roll.

Pakenham: The fairways have taken a beating. The ball will roll for ever and ever. I saw my short irons bounc 10 feet when landing on the fringe. The greens roll at a 12 and they are still short. We went yesterday and the guy said they are slow. They are rockets....the greens are still rolling great and the fringe is well groomed.

Meadows: fairways are realitively dry so if you do not hit down on the ball be careful. The greens are pretty quick, but a bit bumpy. The other thing here is that people do not fix ball marks, or do not know how to fx them so there are brown spots all over the place.

Eagle Creek: well....nothing need be said....

Sorry I do not have more input, my golf game has been very limited this year and my index is taking a beating for it. Busy summer....I will make up for it in a year.

Justin

2 Iron BOMBER is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf
    I have not played nearly as much golf as normal, but in the last few weeks I have been to the following.

Upper Canada: overall great shape. They have that river that helps them a lot. Greens are nice, and the fairways are ok.

Stonebridge: greens are true, fast, and hard. The fairways are always beautiful, but not as spongy as normal. But you do get extra roll.

Pakenham: The fairways have taken a beating. The ball will roll for ever and ever. I saw my short irons bounc 10 feet when landing on the fringe. The greens roll at a 12 and they are still short. We went yesterday and the guy said they are slow. They are rockets....the greens are still rolling great and the fringe is well groomed.

Meadows: fairways are realitively dry so if you do not hit down on the ball be careful. The greens are pretty quick, but a bit bumpy. The other thing here is that people do not fix ball marks, or do not know how to fx them so there are brown spots all over the place.

Eagle Creek: well....nothing need be said....

Sorry I do not have more input, my golf game has been very limited this year and my index is taking a beating for it. Busy summer....I will make up for it in a year.

Justin

Great reply.

More like this would be awesome.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Played Vieux Moulin on Sunday, all their ponds but one are dried up so fairways got no water lately. A member there mentioned their wells have been closed by the City as well since there's some new home developments nearby. The greens and fringe are in great shape. Almost like an oasis in the Sahara!

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    I've been pretty disappointed with the shape most fairways are in right now, but as has been said, if you don't have water there's not much you can do.

Loch March seems to be surviving as are Eagle Creek and the Marshes. It helps to have lots of money (and water)

The good news is that our courses around here are at their best in September and October.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninblack
    The good news is that our courses around here are at their best in September and October.
    My problem with sept/oct/fall golf: the leaves all over, you can lose a ball in the fairway...beautiful to see tho. And greens tend to be a bit shaggier...but I'd rather have that than skating.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    They punched the greens and top dressed them here at my club. With the rain we've been receiving, conditions are going to be great in a couple weeks.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Lob Wedge Wrexxer is on a distinguished road
    StoneBridge is pretty nice...I personally think the greens are fast and that makes them hard but the fairways are awsome...

Emerald link was ok...but they punched alot of fairways just before we got to them...

I'm playing manderley tomorrow...anyone have a review?

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    Played La Cite yesterday and the greens are in excellent shape. The fairways are also pretty good considering the dry spell we had this summer.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Played Manderley on Tuesday and it was pretty well watered. Not nearly as dry as some others. Should be good after the rain.

Stonebridge today was very nice. No dry patches. I don't know how it was before the rain, but it could not have been too dry.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Stonebridge has been great

played it on Sunday and the course was lush and green. Also played 2 Sundays ago. Same conditions.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Played Mont Cascades on Tuesday, they were punching their greens while we were there (on one hole they started punching it AFTER we hit on to it, but before we got there to putt ). Otherwise the fairways were in great shape and once the greens come back next week, I'll be playing there a few more times this fall. A beautiful course at this time of year.

Played Cloverdale Wednesday, mostly very good shape. A few dry spots on the fairways here and there, but overall quite good.

Played Casselview for the first time today, what a treat. Fairways and greens are in impeccable shape, and just a really nice course to play. I loved it and I'll be going back many more times.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    Played Mont Cascades on Tuesday, they were punching their greens while we were there (on one hole they started punching it AFTER we hit on to it, but before we got there to putt ). Otherwise the fairways were in great shape and once the greens come back next week, I'll be playing there a few more times this fall. A beautiful course at this time of year.
    It's gotta be one of the nicest courses to play in the fall.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Played le Sorcier wednesday. Beautiful course in great shape except for the tee boxes. We were told not to take practice swings on the tee boxes. Also played Tecumseh the week before. Fairways were in good shape but the greens were horrible..

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    rain expected for today and tomorrow, that should help all the courses out, unless of course you enjoy the 350+yd drives down concrete fairways
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    LOVE 350+ yrd drives down concrete fairways. Man do I hate chipping/pitching from 70 yrds and in on concrete fairways.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    It's gotta be one of the nicest courses to play in the fall.
    Due to an edit to my post, I won't say anything more about Mont Cascades (good or bad).

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    I'm a member at the Kingsway since 2001 and the course keeps improving. The owner ( R. De Celles) dug deep into his pockets and had an irrigation system installed which is fed from a reservoir that was dug 3 years ago , improved the drainage on several holes. Three holes (12th, 13th, 15th) suffer from the lack of slope and more work his needed to improve the drainage on them. Pierre Huard, the greenskeeper does a fantastic job. The greens are always in top shape. This summer, during the drought, the fairways were firm and fast but they were green. The rough was not as thick as it usually is and scoring was a bit easier.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road

Course Reviews

I am fortunate to be able to play quite a few rounds esch season. This year I decided to try to play as many courses in the area regardless of reputation or biases. I am a big believer of getting what you pay for. I am not afraid of paying more money for a better experience yet I play a regular round at a course that is unfairly regarded by many as a "dog track". I love this game so much that I am having as much fun playing on a $25 course as I am on a $125 course. Value is very important.

As many have already commented, some courses have had a rough start and some have had not stood up to the near drought like conditions. Some are in rougher conditions than others and they have adjusted their fees accordingly and I commend them..Some have not however. I recently paid $43 on a Friday morning to play a course that had the poorest fairways I've seen all year(50+ rounds). As a matter of fact I could not distinguish the fairway.
    I find this unfair. Especially for the poor guy who only gets out once a week. How would the rest of you handle this?

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Just wanted to give everybody the heads up. I have been fortunate to play Eagle Creek a few times this past week and wow!! This course looks just as good right now as it did on June 1st, if not better. I know that it is a healthy green fee to pay, but trust me it is worth it.

I love this course and truly believe it is the best course in the city and one of the best courses i have ever played!!

Its still a gem right now, but will be closing up on Oct. 2nd, go get a round in, you won't be disappointed.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

actually....

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Just wanted to give everybody the heads up. I have been fortunate to play Eagle Creek a few times this past week and wow!! This course looks just as good right now as it did on June 1st, if not better. I know that it is a healthy green fee to pay, but trust me it is worth it.

I love this course and truly believe it is the best course in the city and one of the best courses i have ever played!!

Its still a gem right now, but will be closing up on Oct. 2nd, go get a round in, you won't be disappointed.
    I played it last week and while most of it was in great shape, it appeared to be a little rough around the edges. Fairways were good, greens were excellent, fast and true and held nicely. It was the little things that seemed to be lacking (some of the tee boxes had some rough spots, some spots in the fairways, etc.) compared to previous times I have played there. Perhaps with the lack of a CPGA event they are not compelled to keep it to the same level as before.

Still for $75 I think it is in great shape and a great deal.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clankoffdatee
    I recently paid $43 on a Friday morning to play a course that had the poorest fairways I've seen all year(50+ rounds). As a matter of fact I could not distinguish the fairway.
    I find this unfair. Especially for the poor guy who only gets out once a week. How would the rest of you handle this?
    Every year I hear this same story, but nothing ever seems to change. The price seems to bear no resemblance to the value of the golfing experience.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

What do I do when a course (I feel) rips me off? I never give them my business again.

On the flip side, played both these courses recently, and both are in GREAT shape, especially for this time of year: Meadows and Le Sorcier.

I'm sure Le Sorcier's prices are going up next year, so take advantage.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar
    Played Le Sorcier yesterday for the third time and will agree it is a beautiful course. I love the way you have to think about what each par 3's yardage is. However, I tee-offed supposedly at 2:30ish, but was delayed about 15 minutes. The result - on the 16th hole..pitch black! I couldn't believe how slow it was, over a 5 hour round (after the 16th) and the greens were slow and long. I know it is new course, but my previous rounds there were a bit quicker, and the greens were in better shape. The course reminds me of La Bete, but Le Sorciers condition's are not as great.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Posted this in Ottawa Arrange a Game, but played Cloverdale today. Course is in great shape. Fwys were green and in great condition, hardly a bare/burnt spot. Greens were outstanding. No burn marks and rolled great. A little slow but no bumps or bounces. Rough was lush and thick. You had to take one or two extra clubs to get the ball to where you wanted it. Wind was benign, so course was there for the taking. Probably going to try and get back out there one more time before the season is over.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information