CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Looking for a good golf tech.

First of all I am looking for some tapered irons shafts (DG S300 3-PW), (DGlite X100),(Dynalite gold X100) standard tip
    And looking for a private or good golf tech who does a great job reshafting/regripping a lie adjustment for a great deal.

Barnie
    Chieftlongtee is pretty good. I bought a club off him that he made. Very well put together. Seems to know his stuff as well.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    Chieftlongtee is pretty good. I bought a club off him that he made. Very well put together. Seems to know his stuff as well.

Thanks Steve. I will and can do all of the above but I won't do lie adjustments.Not that I don't want to it is just that I don't have aloft and lie machine. Pretty pricey to justify the cost. Being a hobbyist it would take me a couple years for it to pay for itself. That being said I know of a sponsor here who does not have a loft and lie machine for the same reason. Another sponsor I don't know and another one will push his system. The shafts mentionned above do not cost very much and are all available at the Golfworks. They also do lie adjustment. More later.

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    Here's the change from my couch. I also do club assembly/repairs but I don't do lie ajustments. Frankly, I don't believe lie ajustments are necessary unless your shorter than 5'6" or taller than 6'4". How often do you get a perfectly flat lie on a course? OK, tee boxes excluded. If you can constantly repeat your swing and you are able to maintain the same spine angle, then having a dynamic lie check will help. But by then you will have custom ground clubheads, X-rayed shafts and your name will be on your bag!

Quote Originally Posted by THUNDAH
    Here's the change from my couch. I also do club assembly/repairs but I don't do lie ajustments. Frankly, I don't believe lie ajustments are necessary unless your shorter than 5'6" or taller than 6'4". How often do you get a perfectly flat lie on a course? OK, tee boxes excluded. If you can constantly repeat your swing and you are able to maintain the same spine angle, then having a dynamic lie check will help. But by then you will have custom ground clubheads, X-rayed shafts and your name will be on your bag!

Your spread is a lot bigger than mine but that's OK. I do disagree on one point though If you lies need to be ajusted 2 degrees either up or down and you are playing a sidehill lie where exactly should you aim? Will you jam the toe or heel into the ground?IMO the lies should be checked at least once instead of adjusting your swing to the clubs. Then if you miss you'll know that you did not miss because of improper club lie. I would rather have all the odds in my favour.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 08-30-2005 at 08:40 PM.

Depending on the slope of the sidehill lie you will adjust your stance and posture. If your playing off a 5º sidehill lie and the lie angle of your irons needs to be adjusted 2º either way, wouldn't that be the same as playing off a 3º to 7º sidehill lie depending on the lie adjustment required. A right handed golfer playing on a sidehill lie with his feet below the ball will aim right, and aim left if he is playing with his feet above the ball

Unfortunately I can't bring a level to the course

Range finders today, protractors tomorrow.
    Anyhow, your practice swing, if done properly will give you a good idea of the stance you need.
    I probably need irons that are 1 or 2 degrees more upright. Instead, I switched to graphite and made them an inch longer.
    My 18th post, your 1800th!

My 18th post, your 1800th!

Good work Columbo.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    "I also do club assembly/repairs" and I do make "lie ajustments." And the reasons should be obvious. If a golfer between 5"6" and 6'4" makes a perfect swing, but his lie angles are not set properly, he is likely to miss the green from a flat lie. When he encouters a side hill lie, the amount of adjustment would have to be greater if the lies are off by two degrees, as you have indicated. This just increases the guess work which shold be minimized.

An assumption is made that in the manufacturer of a set of heads that there is a constant difference in lie angles so that if one club is set up properly, that they all must be set up properly. Not true, particularly with OEM heads. I have checked golfers lie angles where 5 of the clubs are perfect and the others are out by as much as 3 degrees. They all must be adjusted.

A 5'10" golfer with a very upright swing and a 34" wrist to floor measurement versus a 5'10" golfer with the same wrist to floor measurement with a very flat swing, will be in a very different position at impact, making a lie adjustment for both, essential. I would suggest that how you swing is more important than your height. Length of club determination should be based on wrist to floor measurement and height, and not on impact lie angle.

If you have to increase the length of a club by an inch or two to accomodate a too flat lie angle, AND then you add weight under the grip to maintain the desired swingweight(if you consider that important) you upset the dynamics of the club, most importantly the overall weight and the feel, so why do it? Just adjust the lie angles and not doing this, IMO, is a cop out.

Shafts flex and unflex in different planes. Some will allow the toe of the club to droop causing the lie angle of the head at impact to be either more or less than another shaft that does not allow as much toe droop.

BTW: I flattened all of my lie angles 3 to 4 degrees. So if I was playing with clubs that were not adjusted, and when I encounter a flat lie, which is most of the time, you are suggesting that I aim several yards to the right of the green to allow for a lie angle that is too upright, or shorten my clubs. I don't think so.

Thread Information