100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road

Collapsing Elbow

I have a very difficult time keeping my right elbow (i'm a lefty) straight during my backswing. Does anyone have any quick fixes or swing devices that might cure this?

Lob Wedge St Andrew is on a distinguished road
    for what it's worth
    A teacher once told me to put a headcover under my armpit and keep it there throughout the swing to keep my elbow from flying out. I did that for a while at the range and it really helped.

Gap Wedge ParT is on a distinguished road
    If your elbow is bending it's probably due to not rotating your body enough. Try turning your shoulders at least 90 degrees in your full backswing.

Good luck

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Practice keeping your takeaway low and long and on plane (i.e. not inside), that should keep your arm striaghter.

And... go see a pro since they know what they are talking about!

54Rigger
    Before reading the next paragraph place tongue firmly in cheek

Take a knitting needle and break off the dull end. using a bit of tape, affix the needle to the inside of your forearm at one end and to the underside of your bicep at the other. Make your normal swing, trying to concentrate on keeping your arm straight. If you suffer no discomfort and there is no blood loss, then you've successfully solved your problem, remove the knitting needle. If there is slight discomfort and no blood loss continue swinging, (your motivation to concentrate will naturally be heightened). In the event of blood loss make sure you sterilize the needle before your next practice session.

(outake from "Extreme Golf Lessons")

This is an ongoing problem for most golfers, and one of the major components of swing correction. There are dozens maybe even hundreds of drills to address the problem. Bottom line is that the practice tee is the only way to solve the problem I don't think that any particular drill is any better than another.

Make sure, before you start working on this issue, that your stance base (waist down) is a sound foundation. Posture, weight transfer, rotation and keeping your back knee from shifting away from the target are all factors that should be addressed first. Often players will adress upper body problems and look at the lower body afterwards. This approach usually means you have to relearn most of the upper body stuff.

One little trick that helps me is to not shave before a golf game. the brush of stubble against my left sholder as I swing usually means my takeaway is straight and on plane with a straight arm. Stole that trick from Arnold.

Rig

Thread Information