100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

Question area of intended swing....

Gary....

When I see a pro tee his/her ball, many times I will see them step down on the grass behind the ball. This is presumably to press down the grass behind the ball so it doesn't accidentally get caught between the ball and clubface.

I was just at the rules site for the USGA, and I saw a decision that says that even before the start of a hole, it is a penalty to improve the area of the intended swing. (The player moved/broke branches that overhung the teeing area).

These two actions seem to contradict. Can you press down the grass behind the teed ball? How about pulling a weed in the teeing area where you want to tee up?

spidey

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    I would advice against trying to apply a Rule by looking for or quoting a decision. The Decisions are specific rulings given to specific situations and require a thorough knowledge of the Rules and their application.

If you look at Rule 13-2, there is a special exception "on the teeing ground in creating or eliminating irregularities of SURFACE".

Low hanging branches are not part of the the teeing ground surface and no such exception exists.

Laura Davies does not like to use wooden tees on Par 3 holes. You may have noticed her slamming her iron into the turf to create "an irregularity of surface". This is within the Rules, but you probably will not be welcomed back by the Greenkeeper.

Thread Information