+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    September 1st Will Be The Day!!

Therefore September 1st Has Been Formally Declared Stick It Up
    Their @$$ Day" And The People Of This Nation Should Not Buy A Single
    Drop Of Gasoline
    The economics of this doesnt work....don't bother. Everyone, in preparation for these "boycott days" either fills up the day before or day after. One day will never be an effective boycott to bring down demand. Make it a week, and there actually might be a shot

Not only that, but Thursdays are historically the days with the lowest gas prices, on average...

PLUS. The BS about the Hurricane in Louisiana causing major damage and therefore increasing prices is absolutely the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard. When's the last time ANYONE has mentioned oil production in the Gulf of Mexico as a major contributor to world oil supplies...yet a bit of damage causes a 20% increases in prices...gimme a break!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Long weekend

Hurricane Katrina

All adds up to gas at $1.23/litre in the London/St Thomas area this morning.

Is it BS? Sure it is, but like anything else what can you do about it? If you drive you need gas, and the Big Oil Boys all know that!

I was smart, filled up yesterday at 97.5 because I knew this was coming.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    I just don't see myself taking a train from Ottawa to the Heritage for a round of golf.
    Train: for transportation of major goods across north american instead of the ridiculous auto routes that are currently the american (and thus became the canadian) standard, yet it is common knowledge that train transportation over long distances if FAR more efficient...the truck industry was all part of the big Ford-industry boom...and never woke up to reality...and still hasn't.

A taxi for short distances is the equivalent of a shared car...which they also have now, coop cars. Going downtown? The (gasp) bus ! Do they need a more comfortable, better transit in Ottawa...yes they do. So what did they do with the old train tracks...they put down the transit route...pathetic...they could have easily put the equivalent of the O train down...elevate it in the downtown area.

The problems discussed here are easily fixed, the truth is were greedy, spoiled little brats who refuse to give up our comforts. I'm as guilty as the next regarding things like air conditioning...but well all pay the price sooner or later, so * away...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant

The problems discussed here are easily fixed, the truth is were greedy, spoiled little brats who refuse to give up our comforts. I'm as guilty as the next regarding things like air conditioning...but well all pay the price sooner or later, so * away...
    I'd love to take public transport to work every day. I spent 2 weeks in Munich in June and the subway/train system there is 2nd to none. I was there for a week on business and I never drove or took a cab once. I took the subway/train every day to my meetings. It was that easy. I took the train from the airport to our friends house (which is 45min outside of downtown Munich), which would be the equivalent of landing at Pearson and going to Oshawa. 1.5 hours on the train, one switch at the main station. The hardest part was figuring out what ticket I need to buy since the ticket machine was in German

Unfortunately, I live in the south end and work in Hull so the option of public transportation is not feasible as it would take me 2 hours each way.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    Unfortunately, I live in the south end and work in Hull so the option of public transportation is not feasible as it would take me 2 hours each way.
    Yes, and I'm not saying you're at fault for taking a car. But someone in the city council makes these decisions on improving mass transit, and someone votes for these guys, and NO ONE puts pressure to change things (til its very late in the game, and ding-ding, seems like its getting late), so anytime you wonder why things suck, we probably have ourselves to blame.

I just find that gas prices are not the cause, they are the effect...the cause is us.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    I'd love to take public transport to work every day. I spent 2 weeks in Munich in June and the subway/train system there is 2nd to none. I was there for a week on business and I never drove or took a cab once. I took the subway/train every day to my meetings. It was that easy. I took the train from the airport to our friends house (which is 45min outside of downtown Munich), which would be the equivalent of landing at Pearson and going to Oshawa. 1.5 hours on the train, one switch at the main station. The hardest part was figuring out what ticket I need to buy since the ticket machine was in German

You don't have to go that far to find a great subway system. Montreal made the investment years ago and it is a great public transit system. Which is good for them since gas prices are super high there. Ottawa should bight the bullet and make the investment in somesort of subway system. The O train is a good idea in theory but the way they seem to want to run it just doesn't make sense.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    You don't have to go that far to find a great subway system. Montreal made the investment years ago and it is a great public transit system. Which is good for them since gas prices are super high there. Ottawa should bight the bullet and make the investment in somesort of subway system. The O train is a good idea in theory but the way they seem to want to run it just doesn't make sense.
    I agree. A subway is the way to go. If there were a subway available from home to work, I would take it and leave the SUV at home. It takes me 20 minutes from home to work. It takes over an hour with the bus. Sorry but that doesn’t cut it. I would take my bike but there are no showers at work. Could be a good way to keep people out of my office.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Last I heard, and it was based on some engineering study done a few years back when considering that or the transit tunnel they eventually built, Ottawa is not capable of building a subway system...I guess they'd have to go too deep and hit water tables or something, who knows, thats just all I remember.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    WOW, check this pic from parts of the US:
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Ok who sent that email to the gas stations?
    My guess is that tomorow's prices will drop below the .96 just because they got wind of this plan NOT to buy gas tomorow.
    Too late !. I'm dusting off my E-scooter now

Pitching Wedge laiec is on a distinguished road
    Get this documentary http://www.endofsuburbia.com/
    The price of the gas will NOT be coming down any time soon.
    It's an excellent eye-opener about the future

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Went to get gas today...Nothing like standing across from someone at the gas station listening to them complain colourfully about how much it costs to fill up their Yukon, only to see the same person 10mins later in the drivethru at Tim Horton's. LOL! I have no pity for you!

Quote Originally Posted by RLaw
    Went to get gas today...Nothing like standing across from someone at the gas station listening to them complain colourfully about how much it costs to fill up their Yukon, only to see the same person 10mins later in the drivethru at Tim Horton's. LOL! I have no pity for you!
    Ya but how much more does it cost you to fill up?

$50+ these days in my tiny RSX, I never really put more than $20 in though. Pretty much have cut my driving in half in the past few weeks. Riding the old Nike express much more.

$50+ these days in my tiny RSX, I never really put more than $20 in though. Pretty much have cut my driving in half in the past few weeks. Riding the old Nike express much more.
    And it doesn’t bother you that it costs you 30$ more per tank?

Driving a Yukon or a Civic still cost more to fill up then 6 months ago. I’n my book it’s frustrating.

I have a friend that drives a Ford Focus. It costs him 20$ more a week in gas. Thanks 90$+ more a month spent in additional gas. This cuts down on other spending habits. Now imagine those who need two cars. Average people will stop spending.

Mark my words, the economy will drop dramatically with Christmas just around the corner. Even worse if mortgage rates go up.

Mike

I agree with your final statement, we could be in big trouble. Don't get me wrong, the cost to fill up does bother me. That is why when I purchased my car, I bought something that was fairly fuel efficient (less so than a Civic but not much) because I didn't want to flush money down the toilet and the gas prices had slowly been going up for quite some time. Which is why I cannot comprehend why someone would go out and buy one of those monstrosities that burns gas like it's going out of style. If everyone drove around in a compact car do you think we'd be in the same position today? Maybe, but I would think not. Our resources would be more plentiful.

I agree with your final statement, we could be in big trouble. Don't get me wrong, the cost to fill up does bother me. That is why when I purchased my car, I bought something that was fairly fuel efficient (less so than a Civic but not much) because I didn't want to flush money down the toilet and the gas prices had slowly been going up for quite some time. Which is why I cannot comprehend why someone would go out and buy one of those monstrosities that burns gas like it's going out of style. If everyone drove around in a compact car do you think we'd be in the same position today? Maybe, but I would think not. Our resources would be more plentiful.
    How old are you, how many kids do you have and do you go camping or on road trips? If you are a single male with no kids, a small economical car is the smart way to go.

I have two young kids, go camping often and go visit my Brother-in-law every month or so in the States. I hade a Jetta and traded it in for a Toyota Highlander. The kids are in car seats and one seat is reversed so I needed the space. It was the SUV or a van. Gas mileage is the same so I went for the attractive vehicle. It costs me 80$ a week.

Well, I'm 26 with no kids (that I know of). I do try and spend most of my weekends away from home, camping, cottaging, golfing or whatever. Planning on going to Wonderland and to London to visit my brother at Uni. this month, there was even mention of a stop at Deerhurst
    Growing up, my parents had a Pontiac 6000 wagon and a Hyundai Pony. Neither car was large. The wagon was later traded in for a Mazda 626, another small car.

Well, I'm 26 with no kids (that I know of). I do try and spend most of my weekends away from home, camping, cottaging, golfing or whatever. Planning on going to Wonderland and to London to visit my brother at Uni. this month, there was even mention of a stop at Deerhurst
    Growing up, my parents had a Pontiac 6000 wagon and a Hyundai Pony. Neither car was large. The wagon was later traded in for a Mazda 626, another small car.

It is possible to it with a small car but we were very uncomfortable and unsafe. My girlfriend’s knees were about 1 inch from the glove compartment. And considering all the stuff laying in the car cause the trunk was full. It was disaster waiting to happen. We needed the space.

My guess is that it’s 1990. 1990 Pontiac 6000 wagon is not cheap on gas. Average 23 MPG

1996 Mazda 626 is 4cyl has an average of 26 MPG and the 6 cyl is 22 MPG. Not cheap either.

Toyota Highlander averages 20 MPG.

I’m looking in to the new Highlander hybrid model coming out this year.

Mike

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Have you seen the price tag on the new Highlander Hybrid!!! Better of to get the new Lexus one, at least you would have the prestige to go with the price tag.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I leased a 2005 Focus ZX5 SE. With the back seats folded down there is a lot of space back there. Lots of leg room, I am 6'2", my wife is 5'10", my girls are 5'8" and 6'1" and they are comfortable in the back seat when they ride in this car. The only issue I have with the trunk space is this. When I use my Taylormade stand bag I have to take the driver out of the bag in order to fit it in the trunk. With my Titleist Sunday bag that is not a problem. Small issue, not enough to worry about. I have had 3 stand bags in that trunk so it is not like there is no room there.

Lots of get up and go with the 136 HP and I have an automatic as it is easier for my daughters to drive. On a trip to Collingwood and back when the car only had 3000 Klms on it I averaged 36.5 MPH at 85-100 Klms/hr. Now once it gets closer to 15,000 klms on it the gas mileage should be better, so I have been told.

Now one thing I wish Ford, GM Chrysler would do is offer a diesel in their small cars. Man a Focus with a diesel engine would be awesome. Apparently they must figure the market isn't there for those vehicles, otherwise they would be pumping them off the end of the assembly lines. Maybe in the near future with the price of gas rising this could be a possibility.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Have you seen the price tag on the new Highlander Hybrid!!! Better of to get the new Lexus one, at least you would have the prestige to go with the price tag.
    Highlander hybrid is $44 000
    Lexus RX 400h is $63 000

That’s quite the difference for prestige and luxury.

The 6000 if I'm not mistaken was an 84 or something like that as well as the Pony. The 626 was an 88 but bare in mind we're talking 80's and early 90's, back when few cars back in those days had the feul economy that they do now. They were all fuel efficient (for their time) and perfect for a family of 4.

Barnie
    Personally I don't think anyone who owns an SUV gives a about the environment. End of story! The excuses, reasonings and justification are all attempts to make people feel better and try to explain to others and themselves why they really need it. We all seemed to make it this far in life without SUV's so why has it all of a sudden become something we MUST have. Family sizes in Canada nowadays are roughly half of what they used to be. Gone are the days of 4+ kids. People used to go camping, take their kids to hockey etc etc. So why the need for them now?? The worst part of it SUV owners always use the excuse well it makes me feel safer in it.. Well when the big tank comes rolling into me it makes ME very unsafe. To top it all off SUV's are a major contributor to traffic congestion. Personally in a way I'm happy gas is going crazy. There is already talk of people driving less and biking more. Perhaps high gas prices will wake people up to start demanding alternative ways. The hybrid is a step but not the solution. People need a better alternative and it's up to us to push our gov't for it. This post isn't directed towards anyone it's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    Personally I don't think anyone who owns an SUV gives a about the environment. End of story! The excuses, reasonings and justification are all attempts to make people feel better and try to explain to others and themselves why they really need it. We all seemed to make it this far in life without SUV's so why has it all of a sudden become something we MUST have. Family sizes in Canada nowadays are roughly half of what they used to be. Gone are the days of 4+ kids. People used to go camping, take their kids to hockey etc etc. So why the need for them now?? The worst part of it SUV owners always use the excuse well it makes me feel safer in it.. Well when the big tank comes rolling into me it makes ME very unsafe. To top it all off SUV's are a major contributor to traffic congestion. Personally in a way I'm happy gas is going crazy. There is already talk of people driving less and biking more. Perhaps high gas prices will wake people up to start demanding alternative ways. The hybrid is a step but not the solution. People need a better alternative and it's up to us to push our gov't for it. This post isn't directed towards anyone it's just my opinion.

Who are you to judge that SUV owners don’t care about the environment. You have no idea what I do for the environment.

Cars today are a lot more environmentally friendly then 5-10-15-30 years ago. You are now aware about global warming because of the damage done starting way back. I was a mechanic for 4 year and specialized in smog control. The Lincoln Town car your dad or uncles drove back in the days pollutes 2.5 times more then my SUV.

I am from a family of 4 and I do a lot more activities with my two kids today compared to what my parents did with us when we were kids. My dad comes from a family of 14 and family activities were inexistent. Taking 1 kid to hockey practice is not hard when you leave the wife and three other kids at home. Taking those 4 kids camping with the wife in a Honda civic. Good luck.

When I was a kid, not too long ago, there weren’t any baby car seats. We were all 4 strapped in the back seat. You cannot do that any more.

On vacation this summer I went to Safari park with my family and brought my 6 year old niece for three days. There is no way, I repeat, no way I could do that with a 4 door sedan like a civic or a Camry. Just one stroller takes up the whole trunk. I couldn’t fit the two baby seats plus the booster seat in the back seat. I had to “Macgiver” the booster seat to make it fit.

PS: Mid-size SUV and V6 mini-van have the same fuel economy and pollution rating. Might as well judge them too.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    PS: Mid-size SUV and V6 mini-van have the same fuel economy and pollution rating. Might as well judge them too.
    I dont know if judging is the right term mberube, and for people who use them well with full loads, no problems.

But honestly, how many hummer and SUV drivers do you see driving alone in a car? I see them all the time. When I was in Vegas (talk about the perfect city to represent lack of responsibility) it was 4/5 's SUVs. And its not that I'm judging them so much as saying "OK, you've lost all right to complain about gas prices."

If you use a car like that for work or family, and have an alternate source for single riding, fine...but I don't believe that most people do.

Judging? No, just not listening to complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    I dont know if judging is the right term mberube, and for people who use them well with full loads, no problems.

But honestly, how many hummer and SUV drivers do you see driving alone in a car? I see them all the time. When I was in Vegas (talk about the perfect city to represent lack of responsibility) it was 4/5 's SUVs. And its not that I'm judging them so much as saying "OK, you've lost all right to complain about gas prices."

If you use a car like that for work or family, and have an alternate source for single riding, fine...but I don't believe that most people do.

Judging? No, just not listening to complaints.
    Gas prices don’t really affect me cause I make good money but it is still frustrating to se that 99% of the population is at the government’s mercy. They can do what they like and we can’t do anything about it.

This increase effects a major part of the population from the Civic to the Hummer driver. It doesn’t mater if you drive a gas-guzzler or not it still costs you substantially more to fill up your tank. Your car reflects your budget. There is a good chance that it will affect the Honda Civic driver more then the large SUV owner. Think of all the students and minimum wage employees. They are the ones suffering or will suffer in the end. Not the wealthy.

If the gas prices don’t come down, the bus pass will also cost more. Who knows what else!!!!

Is your salary going up???

Gas is expensive because demand is greater than the supply. Who then will have the greatest effect on decreasing the demand, the Civic owner or the Hummer owner?

Gas is expensive because demand is greater than the supply. Who then will have the greatest effect on decreasing the demand, the Civic owner or the Hummer owner?
    Gas is not expensive because demand is greater then supply. If that was true, we would be limited on the amount of gas we use per month. I have never seen a gas station close because they were out of gas due to no supply.

Gas is expensive cause it’s an easy way for a country to make money. 65% taxes per litter is easy money. We dependent on gas.

The main reason why gas prices went up dramatically is that “supposedly” the hurricane damaged the oil wells. My guess is that if those wells were really broken they were repaired within 48 hours. Billion dollar enterprises don’t wait to fix those types of problems. Why hasn’t the prices dropped? My guess is to pay for the damages caused by the hurricane. The money has to come from somewhere!!!

Gas prices for the past 10 years go up fast then comes down a bit, goes back up high and down a small amount again. Gradually going higher and higher every year. Haven’t you noticed that it always climbs before every long weekend?

They have been filling us with this bull for the past 20+ years. They said we only had 20 more years of fuel left for supply. If that were true, all countries that don’t sell fuel would find an alternative solution and fast.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Gas is not expensive because demand is greater then supply. If that was true, we would be limited on the amount of gas we use per month. I have never seen a gas station close because they were out of gas due to no supply.
    actually that is exactly the reason it is expensive. Yes there are taxes, but those taxes have not changed in the past several years.

Why hasn’t the prices dropped? My guess is to pay for the damages caused by the hurricane. The money has to come from somewhere!!!
    Actually, the prices are dropping. Not on the Quebec side though (I work here). Lots of places in Ottawa under $1.10.

http://ottawagasprices.com/

Haven’t you noticed that it always climbs before every long weekend?
    Again. Supply and demand. Demand is higher on long weekends.

Supplies are limited. That is a fact. How long is anyones guess. Getting to some of it may not be economically feasible now, but in 10 years, it may very well be.

Thread Information