100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    99.9 today at Sunoco corner Fisher and Merivale.

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar

Prices

I'm not sure where this thought comes from that the government has influence over gas prices. Yes they make money through taxation, but that has zero influence on the price of gas. As for the amount in which gas is taxed, I say we're lucky compared to what's being done in England. It'd be easy for the government to tax gas at 80-90% (as has been said, we're dependent), but they don't.

As for SUV owners, I also agree that they are a main contributor to the problem. Minivan drivers, and truck owners as well. If you personally need an SUV to accomadate your family activities, that's fine. But the discussion pertains more to those who don't need the size of an SUV/truck, but rather enjoy the prestige associated with driving such a vehicle.

And yes, gas prices have increased because of demand exceeding supply. OPEC is at a favourable position and we're playing right into their hands by our excessive vehicle purchases. Do I complain about gas prices? Occasionally, we all do, but understanding why it's happening re-directs my anger, that's for sure. Can't get mad at anybody but ourselves.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    From what I read, and I don't necesesarily buy it either, gas prices went up from the hurricane because New Orleans was a major shipping area for receipt of gulf gas.

Since Canada is the U.S.A's major supplier of oil (not Saudi Arabia), I suspect we sell it to the states (or whoever will pay most for it) first...thus putting our prices up with theres. Just like we sell the best fish caught to Japan (who pay a kings ransom for it).

Gas/oil, fish, wood, water, you name it, are limited resources, its doesn't replenish quickly...no matter how you cut it (tar sands, oil reserves in Alaska), it is being depleted faster than it can be replaced...thus making it a supply/demand issue, if not now, eventually...

I dont buy its the government, other than the taxes. An example: the drugs we buy by prescription are made by the same company that sells them for 10 times more in the states. Why are ours cheaper? The Prescription Drug Regulatory board, which doesnt EXIST in the USA, said "You can only charge so much for such and such a drug." The U.S. has an open market, so they charge what the population will pay. If that means selling 10 pills for $100 to rich people, instead of selling 100 pills for $10 each to joe average, then yes, they'll do it...this is obvious, we can see it.

Do I suspect prices are jacked up so someone will profit? Of course, welcome to a capitalist society (which I'm fine with, it just has its repercusions). Just remember, we've had it so good for so long, that anything else seems criminal. Imagine if there was no 3rd world labour? Computers would cost $8000...

Am I right? Are you right? Doesn't really matter, the gas prices are what they are because someone can do it, and people will pay. So, what are we prepared to do about it?

Barnie
    My post wasn't directed towards you.. Take offense to it if you want but it's the truth. Actions speak louder than words. Someone who drives an SUV can't really say their #1 concern is the environment.. Just my opinion anyway.

Thread Information