100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    4 Iron wantobegolfer is on a distinguished road wantobegolfer's Avatar

gas prices...is it possible if....

Do you guys think that if we boycotted one gas company, let's say Petro Canada. ,this would force them to bring their prices down to get customers back, then we all go to Petro can, once the price is down, and the rest of the gas stations lower their prices to match. I know, Iknow, it will never happen but could this work... , do the math.

P.S. sold my Ford f-150, 4x4 (built by Petro-can, I'm sure...lol) and now drive a Honda accord, what a diff...
    Last edited by wantobegolfer; 08-20-2005 at 06:43 PM.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Yup thats the only way the gas prices will come down.

The problem is getting the entire country to do it!
    What we need is for the idea to reach that many people.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    if you think you're gas prices are bad, i am back in Thunder Bay where i live for the summers and the gas price here is about $1.15/L. I can't wait to get back to Ottawa and pay whatever you guys are paying, i am sure its cheaper!!!

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Like most drivers, I don't like paying the high gas prices. However, I still think that Canada has it good from a global perspective. The gas prices in the UK and Europe are like at least twice as much if not more.

Like the US, we Canadians are generally a bunch as gas hogs. Look at all those owners with Hummers and the like.

Gas is cheaper in the US....but their demand for oil is 25% of the world's supply. I wouldn't be surprised that crude oil will exceed $100 per barrel in the very near future. $2 per litre gas prices may be the norm too.

Countries with cheaper gas prices are often those who produce the oil. For example, gas prices in Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Venezula are quite cheap....typically a few cents to 25 cents per litre.

Dave

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    a friend of mine was in Iraq, doing weapons inspections before the war. he mentioned gas was less than a cent a litre...

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Gas in Iraq is 3 cents as of now.

The main problem with getting people to stop buying gas is that you would almost have to stop your life. Transportation is a must and how many of us are willing to use the bus system? (Although it is one of the best in the country) If Ottawa had a subway system like Montreal or NYC then there would be almost no need to drive your car. But unfortunately most of us live in the many bedroom communities and driving to work or at least the park and ride is a part of life. The reality is that as much as we all hate being screwed at the pumps, we will all have to bend over and take it.

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    To boycott one gas station will not result in lower gases prices. Gas prices are high due to demand increasing, not supply being low. This being said, mostly all gas is bought from one cartel - OPEC - and if one gas station (say Petro-Can) stops buying from them due to the boycott, the other stations will simply buy more, thus demand holds constant. In turn, Petro-Can would not lower their price below cost to sell off their gas, because that doesn't make sense, as they can hang on to their current gas inventory in tanks and not lose any money. The real solution - if one exists that is - is to decrease the supply. This is not done by not driving, but by changing what we drive. Too often the roads are full of SUVs and full-sized trucks driven by people who have never been off-road in their lives. If vehicle purchases were made with practicality in mind instead of status, we'd be much better off.

Look no further than Europe where many driver sensible sedans and coupes rather than huge gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs. I guess I just get sick of people complaining about gas prices, only to watch them hop into Yukons and Escalades.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I was in Ireland two weeks ago and gas prices were not that high. It ranged from 94 cents to 1.04 euro per liter. Although the exchange rate puts this at about $1.50/liter, everything else costs about the same (in euros) as it does here. For example, I pint cost 4-5 euro...here its $4-6. Meals cost the same in euros as dollars. So, basically, I think that our NA prices have simply begun to catch up with the european prices..so, we are essentially paying the same for gas, with all other factors considered equal.
    when comparing prices internationally you have to take into account the cost of living, salaries, etc to get a reasonablecomparison...its not purely exchange rate.

Andru
    I think high gas prices is a great idea.

No offense to any non-business suv and pickup truck drivers. but I'm glad there's a real price to pay for driving those environmental atrocities. If you run a business that requires it. It's the cost you have to pass on to the cost of business . But if you're a suburbanite and you're driving one of those beasts for 'show'. Sorry no sympathy here.

and I knwo they feel like regular cars. but physics says. They wont' handle like cars and they won't stop as fast as cars. So Slow the down. it's 5000 lbs. truck not a 2000 pound sports car.

Whew that felt great.

thanks for the forum.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    A funny video about gas prices:

http://www.atomfilms.com/contentPlay..._gas&preplay=1

Dave

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Who is going to stop the atrocious gas prices?? Man if you have a car that's need 93 octane it's unbelivable. At least the gas prices are the same for everyone rich or poor there's no getting around it.

We can stop gas prices, but it has to be done through educated vehicle purchases. I drove by two (yes, two) hummers on a five minute drive to get lunch today. This is in Ottawa, where I doubt either own has any reason to own such a vehicle. If we continue to demand a product in such high quantities, the corresponding prices will reflect that. We, in an economical way, dictate gas prices. This is like turning the heat up instead of putting a sweater on and compaining about the heating bill.

On a positive note, we are on the verge of something wonderful in the tarsands of Alberta, which could very well supplement the increasing demand for crude oil. If this venture pays off, it could help lift the burden for us commuters.

Barnie
    Something wonderful? Not really.. Digging up and taking from the planet is what I would describe as wonderful. Even if it's incredibly plentiful gas prices in Canada will not fall because of it. Gov't has no reason, their making a fortune right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SGH
    We can stop gas prices, but it has to be done through educated vehicle purchases. I drove by two (yes, two) hummers on a five minute drive to get lunch today. This is in Ottawa, where I doubt either own has any reason to own such a vehicle. If we continue to demand a product in such high quantities, the corresponding prices will reflect that. We, in an economical way, dictate gas prices. This is like turning the heat up instead of putting a sweater on and compaining about the heating bill.

On a positive note, we are on the verge of something wonderful in the tarsands of Alberta, which could very well supplement the increasing demand for crude oil. If this venture pays off, it could help lift the burden for us commuters.

The Tarsands will be a huge supply of Oil but the cost to extract it is equally huge! I see this as an increase to the supply for the demand but I think cost will stll be high at the pump.

1. I assume you drive a car, so taking from the planet is something you do everyday. Don't make it sound so hidious now that it's being done in our country.

2. The government doesn't set gas prices, it simply sets the rate at which fuel is taxed. That has absolutely nothing to do with the recent rise in prices. The rise in prices is due to increased demand, which has allowed OPEC to rise prices while holding output constant.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    Something wonderful? Not really.. Digging up and taking from the planet is what I would describe as wonderful. Even if it's incredibly plentiful gas prices in Canada will not fall because of it. Gov't has no reason, their making a fortune right now.

dbleber,

Costs will be high, but that is not uncommon in this sort of venture. If the return on investment was there, these big independent investors would not have their money tied up in the tar sands.

If Canada can become an efficient supplier of crude oil, our prices will go down as a result of less dependency on OPEC. Cartels dictate prices and take power away from the free market. In a market where competition exists (ie. Canada supplying crude oil as well) prices will theoretically fall. Yeah, I know it's only theoretical, but that's the best we can hope for.

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Hard to cut demand when people NEED their Suburbans and Hummers etc... to drive to and from work and get groceries on the weekend.

My point exactly. It's time to stop blaming the government, OPEC, the Middle Eastern geographical region, and gas stations, and start looking at the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RLaw
    Hard to cut demand when people NEED their Suburbans and Hummers etc... to drive to and from work and get groceries on the weekend.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Resources are not unlimited. Eventually, like it or not, conservation, improved fuel efficiency, alternate transport and/or alternate fuels are the long term solutions.

The real future is in alternate fuel. They have had the technology for decades and it is time to stop messing around and develop it. I was reading that BMW has produce a very powerful engine that runs on hydrogen!

Pretty cool stuff.

Saw a really inovative ad in a magazine a while back, and I think it was for Shell. Basic premise was that Shell was going to build the first power station geared at electric cars. Similar to a gas station, but instead you're able to quickly charge your vehicle. The text said something along the lines of "somebody had to build the first gas station, now we're taking the next step". Nice to see gas stations realizing the problem, and preparing for the future.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    September 1st Will Be The Day!!

It Has Been Calculated That If Everyone In Canada Did Not
    Purchase A Drop Of Gasoline For One Day And All At The Same Time, The
    Oil Companies Would Choke On Their Stockpiles.

At The Same Time It Would Hit The Entire Industry With A Net
    Loss Of Over
    4 To 6 Billion Dollars Which Affects The Bottom Lines Of The Oil
    Companies.

Therefore September 1st Has Been Formally Declared Stick It Up
    Their @$$ Day" And The People Of This Nation Should Not Buy A Single
    Drop Of Gasoline

That Day. The Only Way This Can Be Done Is If You Forward This
    E-mail To As Many People As You Can And As Quickly As You Can To Get The
    Word Out.

Waiting On This Admiinstration To Step In And Control The Prices
    Is Not Going To Happen. What Happened To The Reduction And Control In
    Prices That The Arab Nations Promised Weeks Ago?

Remember One Thing, Not Only Is The Price Of Gasoline Going Up
    But At The Same Time Airlines Are Forced To Raise Their Prices, Trucking
    Companies Are

Forced To Raise Their Prices Which Effects Prices On Everything
    That Is Shipped. Items Like Food, Clothing, Building Materials, Medical
    Supplies.

Etc. Who Pays In The End? We Do!

We Can Make A Difference. If They Don't Get The Message After
    One Day, We Will Do It Again And Again. So Do Your Part And Spread The
    Word.

Forward This Email To Everyone You Know. Mark Your Calendars And
    Make September 1st A Day That The Citizens Of Canada Say "enough Is
    Enough".

Please Forward This On To Everyone You Can!!!!

Save your frying pan oil.
    http://www.eecom.net/Earthscope/earthscope_34.htm

Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fuel Tank"
    By Melanie Williams, EarthScope Reporter

This article was originally published in the Marin Scope Community Newspapers
    (Pub. Date: December 2-6, 2003)

Can recycled vegetable oil be the secret ingredient in the recipe for environmental sustainability? Biodiesel, derived from renewable sources such as soybean oil, is now available in Marin. The alternative fuel, described as “less toxic than table salt” and “as biodegradable as sugar” by the National Biodiesel Board, is the latest constituent in America’s automotive kitchen. Do you want fries with that?

Most people prefer the innocuous smell of biodiesel, similar to a French fry aroma, to the toxic fumes of gasoline, and so does the environment. Biodiesel was approved and designated as a fuel by the Environmental Protection Agency, the Department of Energy, and the Department of Transportation. It is the only alternative fuel to pass the health effects testing required by the Clean Air Act, posing no known threat to human health. Biodiesel emits 75-90% fewer hydrocarbons and other cancer causing components than petroleum diesel. It is free of aromatics and sulfates (the prime element of acid rain).

A United States Department of Energy study showed a reduction of carbon dioxide emissions by 78.5% in biodiesel compared to ordinary diesel. Even in B20, a blend of 20% biodiesel and 80% petroleum, particulate matter release is reduced by 31%.

Because it is nontoxic, biodiesel is safer and easier to transport, use, and store. Any vehicle currently powered by diesel, even an SUV with a compression-ignition engine, can easily convert to biodiesel with little or no modifications to the engine. Biodiesel has no effect on the performance of an automobile and no more than a 3% effect on fuel efficiency (mpg).

Biodiesel’s lack of petroleum is also advantageous. It makes the US less dependent on foreign countries for oil and so saves billions of dollars spent annually on oil security, transportation, and taxes.

Naft Gas, a local station in Fairfax, now serves B100 (pure biodiesel) at $2.69 per gallon, a price that many citizens of Marin County are eager to pay.

Sam Ruark, Green Building Program Coordinator at the County of Marin Planning Office, fills his diesel-fueled car with biodiesel. He agrees that the rewards of the environmentally friendly car compensate for the price of gas. Although Ruark is in favor of the growing popularity of biodiesel, he knows that not everyone can rely on used vegetable oil from restaurants for fuel.

“We could not convert to a totally biodiesel society because we lack the acreage to grow the necessary amount of plants,” he said. “Biodiesel is one tool that we can use along with solar power, alcohol and hydrogen fuels, natural gas, and different alternative fuel vehicles developing in the next decade.”

Marin residents have discovered some of these alternative fuel vehicles.

The most popular current alternative vehicles in Marin are hybrid electric cars. Hybrids combine an electric motor with an internal combustion engine to create a substantial fuel efficiency. Lower fossil fuel consumption gives hybrids 33-50% less gas emission that contributes to global warming, according to the Office of Transportation Technologies.

Regenerative breaking capability enables hybrids to stop and decelerate without using extra energy. The 3 models manufactured in the US are all available with automatic transmission. Hybrids are typically twice as fuel efficient as their equivalents in conventional cars. The Honda Insight averages up to 68 mpg, the Honda Civic Hybrid reaches 51 mpg, and the Toyota Prius goes up to 52 mpg. This fuel efficiency also reduces US dependency on foreign oil.

Betsy Rosenberg, host of the environmental radio program Ecotalk, co-founded a campaign of Mothers for Clean and Safe Vehicles called “Don’t Be Fueled,” striving to popularize hybrids via an online petition, letters, and consumer awareness.

They increased demand by “educating consumers that their car purchases could make a huge difference environmentally, health wise, and politically,” said Rosenberg. “[We are] letting car companies know that if they make more family-friendly, fuel-efficient cars, we will buy them.”

The buyers may be receiving a bargain. Though the current models typically cost about $20,000, $1,500 to $4000 more than their conventional counterparts, their gasoline bill is cut in half. The increase in gas prices over the years will further accelerate the redemption of the cost of the car. In addition, there is currently a $2,000 tax deduction for purchasing a hybrid. That alone could balance the extra money spent originally.

When searching for the best alternative vehicle, it can be taken in consideration that no automobile or fuel is a panacea for the world’s environmental problems. They are simply ingredients in the formula for the antidote.

RESOURCES:
    Learn more about biodiesel at the National Biodiesel Board website: www.biodiesel.org

Learn more about hybrids at www.hybridcars.com

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    September 1st Will Be The Day!!
    I remember days announced like this way back...good sentiment, nothing ever happens...

Hell, jack the gas prices, tax SUV purchases, eliminate highways and reintroduce trains for long distance transportation in North America, improve transit systems, and have a one family/one license rule...short term fixes that won't happen.

Even taking a taxi is better than owning a car, but people have this prestige/ownership mentality...it'll never change til...gas prices are out of reach...

hahahahhahahhahahhahahhaha....

Sorry I've cracked.

Take a Taxi? That has to be one of the biggest rip offs ever. $45 bucks from Barrhaven to downtown! Not to mention how they leave there cars running all the time. On another note, anyone else almost choke this morning when they saw gas at $1.20! Yikes!

I just don't see myself taking a train from Ottawa to the Heritage for a round of golf.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

not sure if everyone knows of this site...

http://ottawagasprices.com/

worth checking out to see where the cheapest gas is in town....

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    On another note, anyone else almost choke this morning when they saw gas at $1.20! Yikes!
    Ok who sent that email to the gas stations?
    My guess is that tomorow's prices will drop below the .96 just because they got wind of this plan NOT to buy gas tomorow.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

That site isn't bad but not always up to date, but good news. The US just opened up there reserve and the price is under $69 USD/barrel. Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Ok who sent that email to the gas stations?
    My guess is that tomorow's prices will drop below the .96 just because they got wind of this plan NOT to buy gas tomorow.
    Don't count on it Steve. We are hostages.

Thread Information