100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    angelolc

Casselview vs Hammond

Planning to take a few novice players out in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me about the condition of these two courses and more importantly......which one is more friendly to golfers with minimum experience ?

Angelo

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I would go to Hammond becuase it is a little more open and less trouble. The large greens at Casselview may be really tough for a beginner and there are a few intimidating holes there fro abeginner as well.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    Hammond would be my pick too for the same reason, plus its a bit cheaper.

Nice to see other Hawkesbury residents on the forum !!
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

4 Iron jens is on a distinguished road jens's Avatar

Hammond conditions

I played a tournament there on Saturday. Fairway conditions are not very good. A lot of dead on almost every hole. The greens are pretty slow which would be good for inexperienced golfers.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by angelolc
    Planning to take a few novice players out in a few weeks. Can anyone tell me about the condition of these two courses and more importantly......which one is more friendly to golfers with minimum experience ?

Angelo
    Haven't played Hammond this year, but I played Casselview yesterday and it is in great shape. Both fairways and greens were in fine form. Plus I actually feel Casselview is MORE friendly to golfers with minimum experience than Hammond.

Both courses have generous fairways that run adjacent to each other with trees in between - the difference is at Casselview the trees are spaced farther apart so you still have a shot if you are little wild off the tee. At Hammond most of the water hazards are ponds while at Casselview most of them are creeks - so more intimidating for beginners at Hammond. Plus at Hammond the par 4's are longer so you end up playing driver far more often, while at Casselview you can leave your driver at home and score very well.

For the experienced golfer, Casselview is more of a challenge. The 8th and 15th greens are very tough to hold, and the 9th and 18th holes are very tricky to negotiate. But I still think it is a little more beginner-friendly.
    Last edited by el tigre; 08-22-2005 at 11:55 AM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

3 Iron fmanning is on a distinguished road fmanning's Avatar
    Played Casselview yesterday. Fairways have quite a few dead spots throughout the course...but the greens are in very good condition (and quite slow after the rain on Sunday AM)

Thread Information