100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

Redden On The Move?

Just read on TSN.com that there are rumours of Redden being traded.

Anyone have any "inside" info on this one?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Personally, I wouldn't mind getting someone like Pavel Datsyuk for Redden. We will lose Redden or Chara anyways in the near future and I think that Chara is MUCH more valuable to the team than Redden. Besides, Ottawa needs a second line centre and I hope that they fill that spot soon!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Worst first-passer in the NHL, constantly mis-judging pinches in the offensive zone, and an all around turnover liability... Hmm... Better get something for him while other teams still think he's good!

Currently the report that Datsyuk might be coming our way seems to be baseless. In reality, Mike Van Ryn from FLA or Lubomir Visnovski from LA seem far more realistic. But, don't rule out a deal involving a second line C from St. Louis.

My ideal scenario: We move Redden and a 2006 2nd rounder to Washington for Brendan Witt and Zubrus.

Will try to dig up insider info, but noone is answering the phones right now for some reason...
    Dan
    Last edited by broken27; 08-17-2005 at 04:02 PM.
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Redden has got to be the most overated player in Ottawa, maybe even in Canada. Dan, you hit the nail on the head with the first pass and pinch critiques, sometimes it looks like he's high out there. I really don't get everyone's affection for this guy. If we can get someone good for Redden, AND that means we keep Chara and Hossa, count me in. Even if it just means we keep Chara and Hossa, count me in.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Thats just stupid! Ottawa is stacked up front and although Redden is no Pronger he is still a good D-Man. If they want to free up cap space get rid of the real dead weight, de vries and smolinski. Those two are crap for the money they are getting, besides they will need some dough to get a top tender next year.

Driver bazooka Don is on a distinguished road

Center

I don't know why you guys are talking about trading Redden for a second line centre for. We need a first line Centre. And if Detroit was foolish enough to trade Datysuk for Redden i would jump all over it. But I would sooner move Chara than Redden. Somehow i think team Canada knows a little bit more about hockey players than your average fan, and if he is good enough to play for Canada he is good enough for the Senators.

Quote Originally Posted by bazooka Don
    I don't know why you guys are talking about trading Redden for a second line centre for. We need a first line Centre. And if Detroit was foolish enough to trade Datysuk for Redden i would jump all over it. But I would sooner move Chara than Redden. Somehow i think team Canada knows a little bit more about hockey players than your average fan, and if he is good enough to play for Canada he is good enough for the Senators.
    ??? Are you implying team Canada should have picked Chara if they thought he was better? That's just a plain silly comment... Redden is on Team Canada because his style (sic "stool") of "defence" works on the larger ice surface.

Have you ever seen him hit anyone? He's been in 1 fight where he knocked some poor bastage out... But his play is detrimental to Ottawa and always has been.

Canadian media (CBC) singled out Karel Rachunek as the culprit in the New Jersey Devils' series win against he Senators... FACT: Redden plays that side (R) while Rachunek plays the other side... FACT: Rachunek was the only player who had a shot at (was it Friesen?) the NJ player. FACT: Redden is seen coming into the play from behind Radek Bonk, which means he was on a pinch at the wrong side of the ice... FACT: Redden sucks.

You can call Team Canada geniuses before they win if you want, but remember that this is the same team that picked Shayne Corson for the Olympics... Remember Nagano?

Dan

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I would keep Chara! That guy is a power house and now that he has the offensive game, he will be a Norris winner in the next few years. That being said I wouldn't say Reden sucks. Is he in the top 10 D's in the league, no but he is in the top 20. Ottawa has the best on paper team in the NHL and it is hard to find a weakness. But I would say they have more depth up front then they do on D. As for the goalie situation, maybe next year they will pick up Joseph for a couple of water bottles and a bag of pucks. Would be worth it if they can get him cheap.

Ty Webb

Chara

If Chara was Canadian, he would play for team Canada. Redden is a good passer but, if there is a giveaway, you don't have to look at the number. Redden has also always been one of my favourite fighters

My opinion, if they can unload him and get something worthwhile, strike while the iron is hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ty Webb
    Redden has also always been one of my favourite fighters.
    You actually saw him fight?? He DOES NOT fight.

Ty Webb
    My point exactly. I have seen him involved in several fights (being the recipient of several blows). Gretzky put up more of a fight in his one NHL scuffle.

Ottawa has a first line centre, Jason Spezza. Redden vs Chara is a no-contest. Chara is much more valuable than Redden. He's an asset on the powerplay and he's one of the most intimidating players in the league. As much as I like Wade and want him to stay in Ottawa I know that someone has to go. If letting Redden go and being able to sign Chara and Hossa, then so be it. Someone has to bite the bullet!

That Team Canada statement is just silly.

Ty Webb
    Apparently, Ottawa is trying to keep redden.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I don't think Spezza is a proven, legitimate first line center. He may develop into one over the next few years, but he is far from it right now. As far as Redden, I have never been a big fan but do think he is a solid D-Man, just not in the top 5 or 10 in the league. Id take Chara anyday over him. As for Hossa, it's a fine line. If he only gets 4M in arbitration, say good bye to him next year. I think there are a lot of teams that will pay top $ for his services. While his regular season has been impressive, he has been less than stellar in the playoffs....

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Yep, Redden is overrated and I hope Chris Phillips gets into the Team Canada ahead of him. So often Lalime would get the blame for Sens goals when you could clearly see he was hung out to dry by Redden trying to pinch into the offensive zone. Watch the replays of goals versus the Sens closely this year, you'll see the goalie sprawled on the ice, the forwards celebrating and just as the replay is about tocut back to the game, number 6 will coast into the picture. Trade him for Datsyk NOW!!!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    My opinion, if they can unload him and get something worthwhile, strike while the iron is hot.
    Exactly.
    I wouldn't say Redden sucks, but he does seem to have a problem staying focused, and is over-rated.
    Now is the time to deal him - while the Sens still have some bargaining power.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Exactly.
    I wouldn't say Redden sucks, but he does seem to have a problem staying focused, and is over-rated.
    Now is the time to deal him - while the Sens still have some bargaining power.
    Agreed, to say he sucks would be unfair. A talented center would be more valuable to us at this point, so cash in before other teams realise that he is overrated.

Lalime and Redden...

Here's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    You actually saw him fight?? He DOES NOT fight.
    Redden has been in two NHL fights. In his first one, he KO'ed some guy with one punch, and the guy was no *****... Must have been a lucky shot. Second fight was something that evolved from one of those scrums in front of the net. Was a draw.

Dan

Ty Webb
    he has been "involved" in more fights that that. I recall him losing at least 3. He broke his hand in one and (I was at this game) about 5 years ago he dropped the gloves with an LA player (ottawa native Sean O'Donnell) who beat the crap out of him.

So he's "fought" 12 times.... Those stats are mostly based on major penalties and not the actual fighting part. Nonetheless, pretty cool site.

Ty Webb
    amazing that someone keeps stats on this and actually has a website. Personallly, I think Redden is pretty average. Could never understand the hype. For Ottawa's $$, I would have kept Karel Rachunek.

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Redden has been in two NHL fights. In his first one, he KO'ed some guy with one punch, and the guy was no *****... Must have been a lucky shot.
    Dan
    If I remember correctly Mike Grier was the guy he KO'd, and you're right, it wasn't a sucker punch, but it was a lucky shot.

Driver bazooka Don is on a distinguished road
    You are correct it was Grier and i beleive that was also when he hurt his hand. I am sure the senator brass told him to worry about other aspects of his game rather than fight after all it was the Jaque Martin regime that got rid of Andre Roy. And as for the person that thinks Spezza is a number 1 centre you may have to wait about another 3 years he still has a lot to learn. The talent is definetly there but. I think the Senators are going to be looking for a goalie come February. At 40 i would be very surprised if Hasek doesn't have any more groin problems and Emery had a rough go of it last year in Binghamton. But only time will tell. At least we don't have two lame ducks like Lindros and Allison i would like to see Chara or Phillips pop both of them guys. Not that i like to see someone get hurt but if you wnat to play the game don't expect any preferential treatment.
    Last edited by bazooka Don; 08-21-2005 at 09:07 PM.

Ty Webb
    I hear they got rid of Roy because of his off ice habits. Other than that, I agree with most of your points Bazooka. I am more interested to see how the team develops with a new coach.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    They got rid of Roy because he was a one dimensional cement head.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

And as for the person that thinks Spezza is a number 1 centre you may have to wait about another 3 years he still has a lot to learn.
    Spezza was the top scorer in the AHL during the lockout. As far as I'm concerned, he deserves a shot.

Ty Webb
    Jason Spezza when asked for a golf tip (http://www.thehammer.ca/content/2004...lf_tips.html):

Never forget your defensive responsibilities on the golf course. Always backcheck. Always cover your man. Always dump the puck into the corner and get to the bench, even if you're on a goddamn breakaway…

God, I'm so glad that android got fired.

Thread Information