100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hybrid Chris is on a distinguished road Chris's Avatar

Hitting off the side of a hill

Welcome Colin

I would like to know the proper stance and foot placement when hitting a ball that is lying on the side of a hill. Scenerio is this... My feet are on level ground, but the ball is lying on the side of a hill. So I'm reaching out in front of me to swing at the ball. Also, should I be choking up on the club? Should I be aiming right of the target? (I'm right handed).

Thanks

Colin Orr
    CHRIS IT SOUNDS LIKE THE BALL IS ABOVE YOUR FEET SO YOU ARE CORRECT IN CHOKING DOWN AND AIMING RIGHT. ONE IMPORTANT THING THAT YOU SHOULD NOT FORGET IS TO TAKE AN EXTRA CLUB THIS WILL HELP COMPENSATE FOR THE CHOKING DOWN.

Gap Wedge ParT is on a distinguished road
    When shooting downhill, move the ball forward in your stance. This will allow you to hit the ball on the upswing and hit the ball higher.

Also make note of how balanced you feel. Backing up your back foot will bring the back hip down getting you a little more in balance.

The opposite applies when shooting uphill.

Good luck

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like you are hitting off a sidehill lie with the ball above your feet. If so the ball will draw/hook (depending on the severity of the slope) and if the ball ois below your feet it will fade/slice again depending on the severity of the slope.

I agree with other posters, choke down on the club, play for the ball to hook and also play for the ball to run a bit as it will come out with top/side spin from the hook lie.

Gap Wedge ParT is on a distinguished road
    Something to consider when hitting on a slope. Pay very close attention to the lie of your club. If your toe is up, the ball will take a left of target direction (if your right handed), and a right of target if your toe down (again if your right handed). This affect is compounded by the loft of the club. This affect increases as the loft increases. If you can, keep the lie flat or learn to componsate in direction or reduce loft or all of the above.

Thread Information