+ Reply to Thread
    Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

'Plumb-Bobbing' it.

Does anyone here use Plumb-bobbing? A missed putt is worse than an ob in my opinion.
    I have a hard time reading breaks unless I get it past the hole. I often read a break one way and the ball breaks the other way. So if you're familiar with the technique or have had success using that method please share your thoughts.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Found the following article. Quite interesting.
    http://www.mts.net/~dwright/lostcaus...mbbobbing.html

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Plumb bobbing provides an absolute perpendicular reference for whether a putt will break left or right. Clever architects use optical illusions (usually in the topology surrounding a green) to make it appear that a putt will break one way, when it actually runs the other way; or make it seem like there is more or less break than there actually is.

You hold your putter at arm's length out in front of you, as lightly as possible near the top of the shaft, with the head pointing away from you (NOT to either side; this would be unbalanced). Due to the force of gravity, the shaft should now hang perpendicular (right angle) to the ground. Close your non-dominant eye and sight down the shaft.

You then align your eye view so that the lower part of the shaft "covers" the ball. If you are standing exactly on the line extension from the hole through the ball then the position of the hole as it appears with reference to the upper part of the shaft is said to indicate whether the break is to the right or to the left!

Whether this approach "works" is dependent on the golfer's ability to judge the break relative to the reference point. But it should prevent aiming on the wrong side of the hole, or playing two feet of break when there is only six inches.

This technique is used most effectively to find the break of a putt close to the hole when a player may not know if the putt will break left or right. The putter shaft should be perfectly vertical (due to gravity) and if you look at the cup with the shaft down the middle, it should be easy to tell if the cup is slanted left or right. If the shaft is perpendicular to the cup, then the surface near the cup is flat.

Sand Wedge charronja is on a distinguished road
    I don't know about plumb bobbing. It doesn't seem to help me read anything. I like to read my putts from just behing the hole looking back at my ball. That way I'm closest to the point where the ball will break the most.
    I consider myself a good putter. Just my thought.
    http://www.charrongolf.com

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I think it does not work. How do you know your putter is hanging vertical? Maybe put a level bubble on your putter shaft?

Personally, I think the feel at your feet is a better indication. I find that I tend to read putts fairly well, i.e., when I see the ball travel it tends to follow the path I see. Executing putts, well, that is another matter

I always try to view the putt from behind the hole, plus get a quick look from the side. Usually the break at the hole is the most influencial and I can see it better looking from the other side of the hole. The looks from the side help me see elevation changes better than along the line. And walking around also allows you to feel the slopes. My biggest error reading a putt is missing an overall slope on the green, i.e., I'll see undulations well, but I may not pick up that the whole green slopes a certain direction. To combat this I try to look for "horizon" references, e.g., you know a pond/lake will be flat.

Of course, you need to plan your walk to the green carefully to get this "walkaround" done without po'ing your partners and the group behind you. Try to incorporate looks at your line from different directions as you come up to the green to drop your bag off, etc. You don't need to stare at it as if the green jacket is on the line - usually a quick look is all that is needed to pick up something you would otherwise not see by simply looking at your line from behind the ball.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I’m not saying it doesn’t work but I never got the hang of it.

I know that Dave Pelz specifically says in his putting bible book that it does not work.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

4 Iron jens is on a distinguished road jens's Avatar

extra edge

When I come across a crucial putt that seems to be a straight one , I will plumb-bob it. I find it truly helps find the subtle breaks in short putts. This method seems to assure the reads on those putts you should make.

In my experience, some people just do not grasp the concept.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by byerxa
    I think it does not work. How do you know your putter is hanging vertical?
    I don't use it either, but you KNOW its hanging vertically...thats why you do it: gravity is constant and at right angles to the surface of the earth. The level/bubble is the same concept.

Now if your putter shaft is CURVED or bent, then you've got problems.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Plumb bobbing is for the birds unless your putter hangs straight and the greens are smooth with consistent slopes.
    If you just use your balance and feel, it is very hard to misread a 4 foot putt. Break your overall putt into 4 foot segments and use your balance to figure out the break on each segment. Then put them together to create a map and let your natural ability take over. IMO, the worst thing you can do is not make up your mind on what a putt will do. If you can't make up your mind, your doomed.
    SH

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    I gotta say I believe that this technique has helped me a great deal. As most of my fellow golf partners know, over the past 2 years putting has been a huge problem for me. After employing this late last year and all of this year....it's pretty rare for me to 3 putt and I am usually cutting across the edge of most holes on the first putt. Of course this doesn't cure any speed issues you might have on different greens....but if you hit the center of the hole with a speedy putt it will usually go in instead of missing it and going 6 feet past.

I say it's worth a try to anyone. If it saves you a couple of putts a round....maybe it's worth it take a couple of seconds and try it out.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    I'm not a believer in this technique, and that's what it really comes down to. No matter what method you use, there are margins for error and it's upto you to chose with sensory technique works best for you. Just like any other club in your bag, confidence plays a huge role in your ability to execute a shot.

Personally, I like walking alongside the putt to get a feel at my feet for the break. Follow this with a quick glance from 5-6 feet behind the ball, and I'm ready to go.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Recently my putting seems to be much better and I did not really change too much. I go in behind the ball and picture a line on where it will go. I then take about 5-6 swings to get a groove on how hard I want to hit it glance at the hole and let er rip. Has really helped, but as mentioned, I think it has to do alot with feeling confident. Another major thing I noticed is making sure to follow through with the putt and not slow down the swing. Makes a HUGE difference.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    Putting tempo is also a huge part that some people don't realize.
    If you're having a good day you're probably swinging it back and forth real smooth at a perfectly even pace.
    Bad days can sometimes be attributed to being too quick in the back-swing, trying to putt a bit harder/quicker to add firmness, etc.
    As far as reading greens everyone maps the green using their senses somehow and if you're having a hard time why not try drawing that map differently.
    Even I've never heard of me

5 Wood Shushu is on a distinguished road Shushu's Avatar
    agreed. All I know is I'm putting a lot better. It could be a combination of a lot of things that has finally clicked with me....but I do believe it helps me to read breaks at the hole better then ever.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    The best way to improve your putting and green reading is this training aid. Everyone has a tendency to push a slice putt and pull a hook putt. Using this aid will greatly reduce this tendency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krYFJRaqXBU

When I practice my putting I line up the putting tutor then hit a putt. I can immediately see if I under or over read it or push or pulled it. It’s like having eyes behind you all the time. Then when I get the proper line I must make 5 in a row matching line and speed before moving on to the next putt. It’s very frustrating at the beginning but gratifying when you learn to correct your putting stroke.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Thread Information