100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Deadline set for NHL transfer agreement

I don’t understand why the NHL has to pay if a foreign player decides to come play in the NHL instead of the a Pro league in there countries.

Can someone explain the politics in this mater?

Thanks
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I think they only pay if that player is under contract somewhere else. Makes sense, it covers there loss.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I don’t understand why the NHL has to pay if a foreign player decides to come play in the NHL instead of the a Pro league in there countries.

Can someone explain the politics in this mater?

Thanks
    Mike
    The transfer payments are made as an incentive for IIHF teams in other leagues to release players from contractual obligations. However, with no agreement, the NHL can essentially poach talent at no cost provided the player is willing to shirk his contract.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    And what does this have to do with NHL player not being able to play in the Olympics if an agreement is not signed?

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Because the transfer agreement also covers the transfer of players, not just compensatory financial transfers. Basically, if the Russians and Czechs do not sign off on the agreement, it voids the whole agreement between the NHL and IIHF, meaning no participation by the NHL in any IIHF sanctioned events (World Hockey Champs, Olympics etc.).

I agree with the Russians and Czechs, but think it's stupid to torpedo the NHL's involvement in the Olympics. All nationalities want their best players there...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Because the transfer agreement also covers the transfer of players, not just compensatory financial transfers. Basically, if the Russians and Czechs do not sign off on the agreement, it voids the whole agreement between the NHL and IIHF, meaning no participation by the NHL in any IIHF sanctioned events (World Hockey Champs, Olympics etc.).

I agree with the Russians and Czechs, but think it's stupid to torpedo the NHL's involvement in the Olympics. All nationalities want their best players there...

Dan

Dan,

Where can one find the details on this? I know the transfer payments are somewhat akin to the amounts the CHL gets for its players that are drafted but are far more lucrative. What is the rationale for the NHL paying such large amounts (~$1M) for a junior player that gets drafted from say Russia or Czech Repub compared to (I think) much smaller amounts for a similar draft pick from the CHL? Are the Euro players indentured servants who must be bought out of servitude or what? And why are thge CZech and Russian Federations so opposed to what seems like a gravy train of cash? What am I not understanding here?

Thread Information