100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar

Does anyone here work??

This may seem like a strange question, but does anyone here work? It seems you guys golf on monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday and friday, not to mention sat. and sunday. I read this forum at work just to keep my mind on the fairway, but everytime I look the same ppl are playing golf. Man you guys are lucky. I guess being a student, and working full time, and no car can really impede my desire to golf everyday. Maybe one day I will be as lucky as you guys.

So what does everyone do, or more importantly what hours allow you to play so much golf. Or am I in some kind of dream world where everyone just pretends they are meeting to play.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Self employed here, I own a cleaning company with about 5-8 employees.
    I'm up and doing paper work from 6 am till I leave for the golf course. Play my 4 -4 1/2 hour round and then back working till midnight or so. Weekends are work time too but with good employees who know what they are doing most of the time does help, not to mention cell phone (on silent but still on in my golf bag)
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    You just need to have a job that allows some flexibility. As a student who also works full time, you're pretty much screwed as far as playing lots of golf goes.
    Just think of it as paying your dues, when you're done school you can golf your ass off.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Working at home. Doing your work when it's needed is a dicipline. The reward is having free time when you want.
    I do some work 7 days a week. I am up at 5:00 and at my desk by 5:30.
    Occasionally I have to cancel golf because of a meeting or whatever, but for the most part my schedule is my own.
    Of course winter kinda sucks since I have more time than I want or need to work.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Self employed consultant. I work more in the winter, when there is no golf, and take more time off in the summer when there is golf
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I work shift work, four or five days on, four or five days off. Out almost everyday I don't work and most mornings before or after a night shift. As some would say I am a golf

LOL... and aren't you supposed to get better the more you play?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf
    This may seem like a strange question, but does anyone here work?
    No. I paid my dues so now I can play golf every day instead of all the time.

Lucky, I cannot wait till I pay my dues....all of them, then I will be at the golf course.....

jhazelton

What about other responsibilities?

Now that we see how many of the forum members prevent work from interfering with precious golf time, how do you get around other responsibilities like spouses and kids, for example?

Same deal. Work at home. They love to get rid of you then.
    My Mrs loves golf and likes to see me enjoy my golf.
    My kids are in thier late teens so they don't have much interest in what I do.

OK, so I also get to call 12 rounds a year "work" as we get around town with the OttawaGolf Tour.

My clients would be ofended if I never showed up to play their course.

It's rough, but someone has to do it!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think Dan has it right....start a career in the golf industry, working for yourself, where you have to constantly "meet" with your customers.....

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazelton
    Now that we see how many of the forum members prevent work from interfering with precious golf time, how do you get around other responsibilities like spouses and kids, for example?

Ahhhhh...an excerrent question grasshoppa...

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Ahhhhh...an excerrent question grasshoppa...
    You end up paying in other ways.

I think Dan has it right....start a career in the golf industry, working for yourself, where you have to constantly "meet" with your customers.....
    Much easier said than done. I was fortunate enough to see a potential for a site like this back in 1996 when internet was just a techie buz word. I had to convince a lot of people that it would be popular enough to be bothered with!
    OttawaGolf will celebrate it's 10th anniversary next March! Stay tuned for special contests!

Way to go...nice to see small business's suceed. Not with the help of Paul Martin.....but I think the censorship rules need to be a bit more leanient. The pics from the Maxim golf....magically disappeared.

Not all the pictures were removed. "Up-skirt" shots are, and will never be, permitted here.

Come on fellas, it's a PG rating. There are kids who frequent the board.
    Anyway. That is off topic in this thread.

I know, just kidding around.....again....congrats on the great accomplishement, not many small businesses get to last the time you guys did. I know I use this sight religiously, so there was definately a skirt oops, I mean market for it.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Work?????????

Work? What is that? Is that something you are supposed to leave home for everyday and get paid for? Damn that is a different concept isn't it?
    I work, however I am employeed by Ford Motor Company and currently sales are little slow for the vehicles we produce at my plant. Currently on a two week layoff with more to come. Price of gas in USA ain't helping any.
    Plus I don't golf everyday, I only played 3 times since Monday Of course it was raining here this morning, along with lightning so that cancelled today's round. Sat/Sun/Monday should be good to go though!
    4 more years of employment at the Big Blue Factory and I am out the door to freedom
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    I work at a golf course, but hardly ever play anymore, the desire just isen't there, but once I start working somewhere else I think I'll play a whole lot more.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    I work at a golf course, but hardly ever play anymore, the desire just isen't there, but once I start working somewhere else I think I'll play a whole lot more.
    I had lots of freinds who worked at golf courses and they are the ones that usually play the least amount of rounds throughout the season. I understand and feel your pain
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar

Sound arrangement.

My buddies and I have been taking Mondays off as vacation days since June.

You get to spend the quality time on weekend with the family, then the golf on Mondays are more relax and at leisure pace on most couses. I just took the real extended week long vacation renting the cottage in Gananoque. Made some visits (three times ) to the new rave coure at Smugglers' Glen. Now I'm out of holidays and need to "earn" those weekend outings

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    I had lots of freinds who worked at golf courses and they are the ones that usually play the least amount of rounds throughout the season. I understand and feel your pain
    I can vouch for that.

I learned the hard way that, ironically, a golf course is not the place to be working if you want to play lots of golf.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    A little late noticing this thread but what the heck....

Federal Gov't employee with 28 years in, so 6+ weeks of vacation to use up. We also can go to a Compressed Work Week. I add an extra hour to 8 days and get away every 2nd Monday (for golfing, of course). I do this for 7 months a year. My wife's on the same set-up and we haven't missed one yet. She's happy to get in 20-30 rounds & can almost break 100 regularily. I've got in over 50 right now (Minor )
    We tried taking off Fridays two seasons ago but the course choices were much more limited (all booked due to all those darn Gov't. Golf Days).

Starting this Oct. I'm going to a reduced work-week and will have every Friday off until I'm out in April, '07.
    It's a sweet option as you get credit for all your various credits including pension just as if you had worked the full year. You lose the day's salary but maybe they'll offer that too in a couple of years??
    Yeah right....
    Anyway, our Mortgage is paid off in Oct. so the day's pay is easily absorbed.

The idea is to help us ease into retirement with some free time to check out things that might interest us.
    Let's see, what can I consider:

1) Ballroom Dancing,
    2) Macrame,
    3) Bank Robber,
    4) Consultant in my field (SR&ED) NOT
    5) Volunteer Work,
    6) Play more golf????

Actually, I've been part of the Blood Donor and/or Platelet Program for many years and I'm coming up to my 200th donation. Hoepfully making up for a few vices??

Any thoughts lads/lasses???

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Any ideas? Im a big fan of travel...how about golf vacations around the world, once a year...

Thread Information