100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golfers elbow

Eagle TA 845 is on a distinguished road

Golfers elbow

Is anyone else out there suffering from golfers elbow (tennis elbow)? Man, each time I swing my club I just tell myself it will only hurt for a second It started a couple of weeks ago and is only getting worse, any suggestions? And no I won't stop golfing!

Mark

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Theres a difference between tennis elbow and golfers elbow. Tennis elbow affects the outside of your arm and golfers elbow (also known as throwers elbow) is on the inside of your arm. Best thing to do is rest it for a few days for the pain to go away and slowly start doing light weight for many reps for your muscles in your lower arm (forearm/wrist excercises) and bicep curls. This should slowly strengthen the tendons and help reduce its occurence.

And yes, I know your pain....it is especially difficult since i play in 2 ball leagues on top of golfing. Haven't golfed in 3 weeks because last time I was out, on the 13th hole the pain was so bad I had to give up. Couldnt swing anything but a driver (since there is not as much impact with the gorund), and when i did try I had to go up 3 clubs...

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Been there and there's not much you can do but rest. I didnt want to stop playing so I too played through the pain. Mimd you I had it ofr a couple of months
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Been there and there's not much you can do but rest. I didnt want to stop playing so I too played through the pain. Mimd you I had it ofr a couple of months
    You got yours from the 19Th tee

Quote Originally Posted by TA 845
    Is anyone else out there suffering from golfers elbow (tennis elbow)? Man, each time I swing my club I just tell myself it will only hurt for a second It started a couple of weeks ago and is only getting worse, any suggestions? And no I won't stop golfing!

Mark
    Apply a little Bengay before playing. Then squeezze a tennis ball very slowly until you are warmed up. Use a brace of some kind to keep it warm at all times. Once warm you won't feel it at least not durng the round.

Gap Wedge alien270 is on a distinguished road
    i was suffering tennis elbow last season.
    my personal remedy is REST! and stop using the mats at the range and limmiting my time at the range, also now i take 1 advil after every round, once in a while it still hurts
    but it usually goes away now. good luck

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Apply a little Bengay before playing. Then squeezze a tennis ball very slowly until you are warmed up. Use a brace of some kind to keep it warm at all times. Once warm you won't feel it at least not durng the round.
    Cool
    next time i will get the brace. I was told to get one nut was lazy and never did.

You got yours from the 19Th tee
    And now I use a straw.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I had the same pain (whether it's golfers or tennis I don't know) just that the forearm and elbow area were painful and gradually weakening in strength.

A pro gave advice to switch to graphite to help. Said it was lighter, so easier on arm/elbow and absorbs most of the shock of repeatedly striking the ground.
    So 1 yr ago I got some Mizuno Mx20's in reg flex graphite, after a short while pain gone completely.
    However....I recently decided to get new irons thinking I might be more accurate with steel, many friends thought graphite would greatly impact my accuracy.
    Well I got some Callaway x18's in uniflex steel and guess what, I started to feel a numbness creeping in within 2 rounds. Sure enough after a half dozen rounds I love the beautiful look of the irons, but am constantly feeling a soreness, weakness, and throbbing in the elbow, forearm and hands.
    I did not sell my Mizuno's yet so I am confused but thinking of going back to them and selling the Cally's.
    Don't know your style of game, handicap etc, whether you already play graphite or not, but I can tell you first hand that once I started:
    1)stretching before (and most importantly after!) each round
    2)pop a couple of advil before and after each round
    3)try graphite All pain went away.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar

tennis elbow

I had tennis elbow last winter...check out "tennis elbow" thread in this newgroup posted in Feb 2005...I can't seem to get the actual link.

Anyway, I did physio and it helped.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    I had the same pain (whether it's golfers or tennis I don't know) just that the forearm and elbow area were painful and gradually weakening in strength.

A pro gave advice to switch to graphite to help. Said it was lighter, so easier on arm/elbow and absorbs most of the shock of repeatedly striking the ground.
    So 1 yr ago I got some Mizuno Mx20's in reg flex graphite, after a short while pain gone completely.

3)try graphite All pain went away.
    Short of graphite get some sensicore shafts or some prosoft inserts.

Short of graphite get some sensicore shafts or some prosoft inserts.
    That's funny, I changed to graphite this year & now it's flaring up! Maybe I should go back to steel - hmmm... don't think my better half would like that

I just came back from Walmart & was looking at elbow braces, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Firstly they are uncomfortable, secondly, it's bad enough I have a golfers tan around my ankles, I don't need one around my elbow

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road

Mark
    You might consider it too drastic, but after years of Golfers Elbow I made the switch to the Single Axis swing and now am completely pain free. I also hit the ball longer and straighter. Back pain is gone too.

note: this is not Natural Golf but Single Axis Golf. www.swinglikemoe.com
    Also featured in the July Golf TIps magazine.

]

I just came back from Walmart & was looking at elbow braces, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one. Firstly they are uncomfortable, secondly, it's bad enough I have a golfers tan around my ankles, I don't need one around my elbow
    So I take it you don't wear a glove either OJ

So I take it you don't wear a glove either OJ
    Ha Ha My watch band hides the obvious line!

Ty Webb

Tennis Elbow

I suffered from a similar situation from playing squash. I couldn't even hold a light buld. I tried physio, massage, etc. without success. I read about a new treament while in Hungary and it cleared it up in a week.

In a seated position, you hold a weight palm down in your affected hand (5 or 10 lbs) with your entire arm over your leg (hand hanging over the edge of your knee). Slowly lower the weight using your own strength. Use your other hand to lift your wrist back up and lower it again. You only want to use the negative (lowering of the weight). This is similar to a reverse wrist curl. I did this twice a day for 10 reps.

Good luck

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I had the same pain the last two years. This year would had been worse since the courses are so dry. It comes from the vibration when you hit your irons.

I switch to graphite shaft and magic .... no pain. This is why I went to graphite. I am playing more this year because I am pain free.

Good luck.

Jean-Guy

Thread Information