100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Iron Carlos is on a distinguished road

From Bunker to water hazzard?

Today we were playing and I hit it from the fairway over a water hazard in front of the green and landed in the water hazzard near the bank. I played a provisional from where I just hit and when I went across to where my ball went in I noticed I could attempt a shot to the green which I did..unfortunately I went over the green into a bunker... from there I hit my ball over the green, took one bounce on the rough and into the water hazzard.. what are my options here. Drop a ball one club length from the water hazard or drop one where I last hit from (bunker)?
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Tigger Macgregor[/FONT]

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    You have a few problems here.
    First if your ball is in a water hazard you can't play a provisional. You have to proceed under rule 26-1. One of the options being to play a ball from where you played the original. So, your 'provisional' is now your ball in play plus 1 stroke penalty.
    By playing your original out of the hazard, you played a 'wrong ball, however there is no penalty for playing a wrong ball in a hazard (Rule 15-3). But you should have corrected it by playing the 'ball in play' before you play from the next teeing ground. The penalty for not doing so is DQ.
    However lets assume all that didn't happen and you now have hit a ball from a bunker on one side of the green into a water hazard on the other side of the green.
    You must proceed under Rule 26-1.
    a) Play from as near as possible to where you played originally - in this case on the spot in the bunker.
    b) drop a ball on the far side of the water from the hole, keeping the place where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard directly between the hole and the spot you intend to drop. You can go as far away from the hole as you like.

Thread Information