CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    . I am quite sure Colin Campbell would be glad to read your opinions on this matter. Take time to write him and air your thoughts out on this matter.
    Good advice.

Funny thing is, it seems pretty much all the fans and media agree that the NHL really missed the boat on this one.
    Too late to reverse the decision now, but if there is a similar incident during the upcoming season, and the NHL is equally lax when it comes to doling out punishment, the league can expect to be relegated to "roller derby" status in the U.S.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Moore should have turned around and taken his medicine. If moore didn't run away like a chicken he would have had a black eye and a busted nose at worst. For any of you who have played any high level hockey you would be aware of the unwritten rules and certain things that happen with palying at that level. Look when Reonick broke Modanos jaw and hatcher then broke his with a flying elbow! This stuff has been going on since hockey started along with the fighting. So if it has been there since the game started and it's still there now, how is it not apart of the game? Moore broke the rules by taking a cheap shot at a teams star and the punishment is an asskicking. You see this stuff all the time in a lot of different leagues the difference is that most players know this and take the licks. Go to a junior tryout sometime and see how many guys should be "thrown in jail".

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Moore should have turned around and taken his medicine. If moore didn't run away like a chicken he would have had a black eye and a busted nose at worst. Moore broke the rules by taking a cheap shot at a teams star and the punishment is an asskicking.
    Did you see this game or the highlights?
    Moore did not "run away like a chicken" he had his back to Bertuzzi. Not only that, Moore already fought this battle with some other Canuck (McCuff or something?) and pounded him, further fueling the Canucks fire. What's Moore supposed to do, fight every Canuck player until he loses one?
    In addition, Brad May, Bertuzzi, and others made comments about revenge on Moore before this game was played.

The hit on Naslund was marginal.

The real chicken in this episode is Naslund and the rest of the Canucks.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    In addition, Brad May, Bertuzzi, and others made comments about revenge on Moore before this game was played.
    And Brad May now plays for the Avs....

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Your response is so ridiculous that it is hardly worth responding to, but I guess I should at least clarify the facts that you have so grossly mistated.
    Moore should have turned around and taken his medicine. If moore didn't run away like a chicken he would have had a black eye and a busted nose at worst.
    How can you be "running away" from a completely blind-sided sucker punch? How do you defend yourself against an attack from behind when you don't know it is coming? If Bertuzzi wasn't such a jerk he would have fought the man face-to-face.
    For any of you who have played any high level hockey you would be aware of the unwritten rules and certain things that happen with palying at that level. Look when Reonick broke Modanos jaw and hatcher then broke his with a flying elbow! This stuff has been going on since hockey started along with the fighting. So if it has been there since the game started and it's still there now, how is it not apart of the game?
    Uh no, cheap shots and muggings are not part of the game and never have been at any level for any reason. Just because they happen doesn't make it OK. Moore already had a fight in that game, so even by your so-called "unwritten" rules that should have been the end of it. Seems funny that not a single NHL player is defending Bertuzzi's actions as justified (including Bertuzzi himself).
    Moore broke the rules by taking a cheap shot at a teams star and the punishment is an asskicking. You see this stuff all the time in a lot of different leagues the difference is that most players know this and take the licks. Go to a junior tryout sometime and see how many guys should be "thrown in jail".
    Moore's check on Naslund was clean (he received no penalty for it, and at worst it would have been a minor for charging) and it happened weeks before. If Naslund had his head up and prepared himself properly for the check, then he probably wouldn't have been injured. And as I stated before, Moore already took his licks earlier in the game. Bertuzzi's attack was a totally pre-meditated mugging that cannot be justified under ANY code or rules, "unwritten" or otherwise.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Just because nobody is coming out and saying doesn't mean they don't think it, can you imagine the headlines if players said "good job bert"? Bertuzzi was talking to him and trying to get him to turn around way before he hit him from behind. Should he have slugged him from behind? No, it’s dirty and he played for it. But you guys want to throw him in jail and he should never play again. Give me a break! All I'm saying is that if he would have turned around when Bertuzzi was telling him to fight him he would have been better off. I guarantee that’s what most players think but who the hell will say that? All of you including me can think what ever you want and your "facts" seem as fictional to me as mine does to you, that why they are call opinions. It just so happens that I think mine is the right.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Just because nobody is coming out and saying doesn't mean they don't think it, can you imagine the headlines if players said "good job bert"? Bertuzzi was talking to him and trying to get him to turn around way before he hit him from behind. Should he have slugged him from behind? No, it’s dirty and he played for it. But you guys want to throw him in jail and he should never play again. Give me a break! All I'm saying is that if he would have turned around when Bertuzzi was telling him to fight him he would have been better off. I guarantee that’s what most players think but who the hell will say that? All of you including me can think what ever you want and your "facts" seem as fictional to me as mine does to you, that why they are call opinions. It just so happens that I think mine is the right.

Gotta vehemently disagree here.

What Bertuzzi did was criminal (he was convicted) and cowardly and has nothing to do with the game. In my opinion it was far worse than what McSorley did to Brashear and McSorley got a one year suspension. Bertuzzi should have been suspended for at least one year of "NHL time", i.e. the lockout time should not count. Let him apply for re-instatement in March of 2006.

Why is Moore required to turn around and fight Bertuzzi? He apparently fought someone earlier in the same game and, from reports, acquitted himself quite nicely - maybe that was his problem. Maybe he should have not defended himself and let someone pound the tar out of him earlier in the game. In any event, "code" justice had already been carried out earlier in the game. Bertuzzi's reaction was way, way over the line and he is a disgrace to the game.

Oh and by the way, the incident that started the whole thing was a clean hit. If anyone was responsible it was Naslund for being stupid and putting himself in such a vulnerable position not Moore for checking Naslund.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I think we are all missing the point really.

In any other sport,the rare occasion we see actions like this,It's followed with
    heavy suspensions and fines.
    Once we start to punish athletes based on the"intent"to injure,we forget that it should
    not take place in the first place!
    Will i let my five year old son watch hockey?No way.
    It's just hurting the game bad.
    The n.h.l only cares about ratings,and lets face it,this gets ratings!
    If Sackic or Sundin did that,or any other big star player,there may have been
    a two game suspension.
    It happens all the time,i can remember Messier being a bit of a goon and never getting called for anything.
    I agree with Don Cherry ditch the helmets and watch the game clean up a bit
    Last edited by covanant; 08-12-2005 at 09:20 AM.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I haven't chimed in on this topic yet but I will add just a few comments. I never saw the game in question, only the replay of the incident on the sports shows. Bertuzzi was trying to goat Moore into a fight, ok, Moore was not responding probably because he had already fought that game, ok, Bertuzzi should have dropped it then and there. For the record what Bertuzzi did made me sick as a hockey fan.

I have to agree with whoever posted earlier that with the game out of reach, Moore should not have been on the ice. Even if the hit on Naslund was clean, guys will always seek payback because it is the team's marquee player. If Moore was game, he probably could have fought 5 times, I'm sure there was enough Canucks that wanted a piece of him. And the fact that he held his own, or even beat up someone earlier in the game, probably made Bertuzzu even more mad and he figured he'd take care of this guy. But I think Granato, who was a bit of a fiesty, pesky sort of player, should have known better and read the situation better.

There is always going to be a lot of what ifs, but the incident happened and regardless of how long Bertuzzi was suspended for there will always be fans everywhere who will not let him forget what he did. And he will have to carry that embarrassment and shame for the rest of his career and maybe life. Sure that doesn't seem like much but over time that could really start to bother some people and let it affect their lives.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    I haven't chimed in on this topic yet but I will add just a few comments. I never saw the game in question, only the replay of the incident on the sports shows. Bertuzzi was trying to goat Moore into a fight, ok, Moore was not responding probably because he had already fought that game, ok, Bertuzzi should have dropped it then and there. For the record what Bertuzzi did made me sick as a hockey fan.

I have to agree with whoever posted earlier that with the game out of reach, Moore should not have been on the ice. Even if the hit on Naslund was clean, guys will always seek payback because it is the team's marquee player. If Moore was game, he probably could have fought 5 times, I'm sure there was enough Canucks that wanted a piece of him. And the fact that he held his own, or even beat up someone earlier in the game, probably made Bertuzzu even more mad and he figured he'd take care of this guy. But I think Granato, who was a bit of a fiesty, pesky sort of player, should have known better and read the situation better.

There is always going to be a lot of what ifs, but the incident happened and regardless of how long Bertuzzi was suspended for there will always be fans everywhere who will not let him forget what he did. And he will have to carry that embarrassment and shame for the rest of his career and maybe life. Sure that doesn't seem like much but over time that could really start to bother some people and let it affect their lives.
    I agree with this one..... Moore's scars should heal faster than Bertuzzi's.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    dbleber: Your comments are laughable. How can you attack facts and say "they appear as fake as mine does to you"? If Bertuzzi pled "no contest" or "guilty" to assault causing bodily harm (which I myself have been priviledged to be charged with for defending myself in a bar fight in Hull), then clearly he thinks his actions were wrong. This is not simply a player admitting to his league's disciplinary body that he broke a rule in order to receive a lighter suspension. He made a deal with THE JUSTICE SYSTEM. This is not a game, it's real life. Give your head a shake and realize that no matter what kind of idiotic codes exist in hockey (and I played at a reasonable level through my teens) it is not OK to paste someone in the side of the head from behind.

You and Don Cherry would likely get along great, as this is the second hockey related thread in which you display an utter disregard for sportsmanship and class. I'm glad you represent such a small minority of hockey fans, and hope for the sake of Leaf Nation that you are not a Leafs fan, as that would be the last straw...lol... Hell, I don't want you as a Senators' fan either.

Cheers, and may I suggest "WWE" or "UFC" for your viewing enjoyment...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    I agree with this one..... Moore's scars should heal faster than Bertuzzi's.
    Moore may never fully recover from his injuries. Only time will tell.
    NHL hockey will also take a long to heal from this broken neck.
    Any scars Bertuzzi has are self-inflicted, hopefully he's learned that as an adult homo sapien he needs to be able to control his urges.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Moore may never fully recover from his injuries. Only time will tell.
    NHL hockey will also take a long to heal from this broken neck.
    Any scars Bertuzzi has are self-inflicted, hopefully he's learned that as an adult homo sapien he needs to be able to control his urges.

Unless Bertuzzi is going to heckle himself I don't see how his scars are self-inflicted unless you mean because he punched Moore to start this whole thing. You are right, Moore may never recover from his injuries, but no one is going to boo or heckle him because he got suckered punched. If he steps foot on any NHL ice surface again I'm sure he'll get a standing ovation for everything he has been through. That will help with the healing process with people showing their support.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Unless Bertuzzi is going to heckle himself I don't see how his scars are self-inflicted unless you mean because he punched Moore to start this whole thing.
    You got it, that's exactly what I mean.

Thread Information