CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Montebello

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road

Montebello

I guess we now have an explanation for why the course has gone downhill over the last couple of years:

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...a-4db4cc2ce15b

Hopefully somebody will buy it and restore it to its former glory. One of my favourite layouts in the region.

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar
    I saw that also and was going to post here .... but you beat me to it.

Interesting that it's owned by the China company but "managed" by Fairmont, which is a well known name in Canada. I would have thought that Fairmont would have bailed on the Management deal as the place went downhill, but maybe they are waiting to buy it for a deep discount and then revitalize it?

One can hope.
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I assume that Fairmont really only cares about the hotel. If that's making money for them there is no need to worry about the golf course.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar
    Given that Fairmont has other hotels with adjoining golf courses, Jasper and Banff come to mind, they might consider an existing golf course as a part of the Montebello package. Hard to say.
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

5 Wood SIMMER is on a distinguished road SIMMER's Avatar
    Not related to the sale, but can anyone tell me if range balls are included at Montebello? Haven't played here in 10 years and website makes no mention of warm up bucket costs.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Have not been in a few years , balls were not included in 2021. The course has been on a steady decline over the past few years . You way want to consider playing Heritage ~ 10 mins down rte 323. If you do play Montebello a review on conditions would be appreciated.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Balls not included but about $75 for golf and cart. Played in June and course was in much better shape than previous years and also better shape than heritage. Which we also played.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Such a shame. A truly great Stanley Thompson golf course which really could be one of the best around if returned to its former (much earlier) glory. It would require a huge investment but the architecture is outstanding.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I spoke to the Montebello reps at the golf expo in March and I let them know that I loved the course architecture as mentioned by Goochy and especially the greens but that because of poor conditions I had stopped going there. They told me they were aware and kind of skirted around as to why but it was obvious that funding was the issue with little focus on the couse itself. They did tell me that this season would see a great improvement and to come play it again.

Has anyone played it recently to see if their words match up to the conditions? I for one would go back in a hearbeat if it was better, way better
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I spoke to the Montebello reps at the golf expo in March and I let them know that I loved the course architecture as mentioned by Goochy and especially the greens but that because of poor conditions I had stopped going there. They told me they were aware and kind of skirted around as to why but it was obvious that funding was the issue with little focus on the couse itself. They did tell me that this season would see a great improvement and to come play it again.

Has anyone played it recently to see if their words match up to the conditions? I for one would go back in a hearbeat if it was better, way better
    As noted I played it in June and have played it every year for the past 7 or so and this was the best I have seen it. It’s not as good as it could be but for about $75 including cart it was well worth it. The resort is being sold - not sure where it’s at but hopefully whoever buys it will invest in the course.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information