100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge SodCuTTeR is on a distinguished road

Any P3Pro Tiger Woods addon reviews?

Have any of you guys purchased the Tiger Woods addon for the P3Pro simulator yet?
    http://www.p3proswing.com/play/tigerwoods.php

I'm looking for a few reviews before I spend $80 on the upgrade and another $25 or so on the game.

Thanks,
    SodCuTTeR

Looking for a review

Anyone have this?

9 Iron westbeach is on a distinguished road
    Doesn't Golftown sell something similar for $299?

Tiger Woods addon

Quote Originally Posted by westbeach
    Doesn't Golftown sell something similar for $299?
    I'm just talking about the $79 addon for the P3Pro simulator. I already have the P3pro simulator and was wondering if the $80 software upgrade was worth it to play the Tiger Wood's courses on it.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    How do you like the P3Pro? Is it accurate? Can you give me any review???

I am looking into buying one and would love to have your input.

Thanks
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

P3Pro Review

The P3Pro is a great simulator. The impact position that it displays for your shots is right on.
    I put some impact tape on my irons and tried it out and the P3Pro showed the impact point to be the same as the results on the impact tape.

I love all the information it gives about your swingpath also.
    It tells you:
    • Swingpath
    • Your angle of attack coming into the ball (steep or shallow)
    • Face angle before, during and after impact
    • Where the ball strikes the clubface
    I've attached a screenshot to show you all the info that the P3Pro displays.

The putting simulator is also pretty good. It shows you all the above measurements with you putterhead. It's good to groove a straight stroke but it's kind of hard to read the breaks on the simulated greens so I just stick with the straight putts.

This unit does lack a bit when you play a simulated round of golf. The graphics for the golf game are pretty outdated compared the golf games out today. That's why I'm trying to find a review of the Tiger Woods addon for the simulator.

This addon will let you play a simulated round of golf on any of the courses that are available for the Tiger Woods game. I was looking for a couple reviews before I spend the $80 on that upgrade though.

If you do get the P3Pro then spend the extra to get the custom hitting mat. The P3Pro unit fits snug inside the cutout and the mat has alignment marks to make sure you align square to the unit.

Please feel free to ask me any more questions about the unit. I know I asked a ton of them myself before I finally bought it...

SoD

The graphics seem nice on the driving range. Aren’t they the same when you play 18 holes?

Do you hit irons on a tee or directly on the pad? Is the synthetic pad too hard to hit on?

Do you have a projector and an impact screen or do you use the PC screen?

I’m looking for a store in the Ottawa region that has one setup so that I can hit a few balls on it. Did you try it out before you purchased it?

Thanks
    Mike

P3Pro Review

The graphics seem nice on the driving range. Aren’t they the same when you play 18 holes?
    The graphics are ok but not what I expected. Finding yardages on the simulated course is hard too. The game only gives you the yardage from your ball to the hole, There's nothing to click on to find out a yardage to a dogleg or a pond that you might have to layup to or try to shoot over.

Do you hit irons on a tee or directly on the pad? Is the synthetic pad too hard to hit on?
    You can hit your irons of the rubber tee or directly off the pad. The pad is made out of a hard rubber material that absorbs the impact pretty good. You need to put a lubricant on the pad to help the clubhead slide through impact.

Do you have a projector and an impact screen or do you use the PC screen?
    I just use the computer screen

I’m looking for a store in the Ottawa region that has one setup so that I can hit a few balls on it. Did you try it out before you purchased it?
    There wasn't any golf stores within a reasonable distance to go and try it first so I asked a lot of questions and ended up buying one. I think they have a 30 trial period where you can send it back if you don't like it.

SoD

Are your Iron distance accurate compared to real life?

Mike

P3Pro Iron Distances

Are your Iron distance accurate compared to real life?
    The distances were pretty close at the start. There is a slider that lets you fine tune your distances to match what you would normally hit your clubs.

The P3Pro takes the data from your clubhead speed and impact position on the club and formulates the distance. Since you can't enter the brand or compression of the ball your using and the unit doesn't measure the actual launch angle or spin rate it's not 100% accurate on distance.

For example: You can take a fullswing without a ball on the tee and it will show you the simulated distance and shot shape of the ball. The shape of the shot is usually spot on.

SoD

Thanks a million.
    Mike

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Give me a week or so and I will let you know what I think, I have just recv'd the system with the tiger woods add-on and mat, but haven't had time to set it up yet. I too plan to just hit balls into a net and use my computer screen to see how I did.

I agree the mat is a good inclusion as it is the right depth and holds the unit firmly in place. The unit also appears to be well built and should be able to sustain getting whacked on a regular basis.

The warranty period is quite short, but as with everything these days, you can extend it for a price.

Quote Originally Posted by SodCuTTeR
    I'm just talking about the $79 addon for the P3Pro simulator. I already have the P3pro simulator and was wondering if the $80 software upgrade was worth it to play the Tiger Wood's courses on it.

Quote Originally Posted by lms
    Give me a week or so and I will let you know what I think, I have just recv'd the system with the tiger woods add-on and mat, but haven't had time to set it up yet. I too plan to just hit balls into a net and use my computer screen to see how I did.

I agree the mat is a good inclusion as it is the right depth and holds the unit firmly in place. The unit also appears to be well built and should be able to sustain getting whacked on a regular basis.

The warranty period is quite short, but as with everything these days, you can extend it for a price.

Any news?
    Mike

This is my update so far.

First the bad news. As far as playing Tiger Woods, I have no update.

I discovered my laptop cd/dvd drive does not want to read cd's anymore, and you can't start the game without the cd being in the drive and working. Once I get this fixed I will be back with a TigerWoods review. I hope it works well as that is how I plan to get my golf fix during the winter.

I bought my unit from www.E-tailGolf.com, which is in Sask. Thus as an Ontario resident I didn't expect to pay UPS broker charges or PST. I guess they were out of stock and had it shipped from the States. The good news is I recv'd the unit very quickly, and Jason addressed the UPS charges and sent me a refund promptly.

As far as setting up the unit, it was very easy to get everything working incl. the serial to usb adapter I needed.

For now I put it in a room that has a higher than normal ceiling, and I was able to take full swings with all my irons. I will have to re-locate to the garage (or the middle of the living room ) if I want to use a driver.

I tried many of my irons and used the foam ball they include - I seem to swing better with a ball than without. As SoD said, there is no requirement for a ball (or a net) as it only measures your club speed and angles. The distances were fairly close for me as well. There is a slider if you feel you are not getting the correct values.

I did not tape my irons - they say for irons you may not need to tape them. I would agree. And since I am golfing most days I didn't want to bother taping them.

I read somewhere to try the following - I cleaned the lubricant off the pad and tried some UHMW tape (used where you need a high wear slippy surface). It seems to work ok. Lee Valley sells it as "slippy tape". I wanted to use the 3M 2" wide stuff but I could only find it as an 18yd roll for almost $200. If you use the lubricant you will need to use soap and water to clean up your irons.

In summary, I think I agree with pretty much everything SoD said. Even without the TigerWoods part, I would buy this unit again.

Tiger Woods Addon

Quote Originally Posted by lms

Have you used the Tiger Woods Addon enough now to give a review?

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    Hope you don't hit a bad slice and break something in the living room. I used one of those in a pro shop, but i don't know what is the tiger woods addon.

Tiger Woods Addon

Quote Originally Posted by SodCuTTeR
    Have you used the Tiger Woods Addon enough now to give a review?
    I would still but the p3pro again. You should not buy the TW addon if you are expecting the game to give you the same hook/slice/inside out/ouside in feedback the p3pro can. Why the TW addon can't work as well as the p3pro unit itself is beyond me, but it doesn't.

The TW addon is ok for a fun computer game using your club instead of a mouse, but does not seem to capture anything to do with your swing other than distance, and even for that is way off of the p3pro distance. If you set the TW game to 150%, then the distance is about the same as p3pro. You can hit a ball on purpose to the left but it still goes down the middle on the game, and you can't hook or slice. Some players may actually like this .

P3Pro Tiger Woods addon

Thanks for the review and for saving me $80

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    can you imagine what would happen if an iron head flew off?

Can you guys tell me how thick the unit is? I have a hitting mat already and want to know if the pad is thicker or thinner then my mat. I’m debating if I’ll purchase the P3Pro mat.

Thanks
    Mike
    Last edited by mberube; 02-02-2006 at 01:13 PM.

P3Pro hitting mat

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Can you guys tell me how thick the unit is? I have a hitting matt already and want to know if the pad is thicker or thinner then my matt. I’m debating if I’ll purchase the P3Pro matt.

Thanks
    Mike
    I was going to try and use a different mat at first and try to save a couple $$. The unit is 1 1/4" thick. The mat is the same exact height with a cut-out for the cable connections on the side.

The mat also folds up for easy storage.

I'd recommend getting the hitting mat...

But don't waste your money on the Putting Extension mat...

I bought one and ended up sending it back. The artificial grass on top was so rough in texture that your ball couldn't roll straight on it. It was made of a totally different artificial grass than what's on the hitting mat.

Quote Originally Posted by lms View Post
    I would still but the p3pro again. You should not buy the TW addon if you are expecting the game to give you the same hook/slice/inside out/ouside in feedback the p3pro can. Why the TW addon can't work as well as the p3pro unit itself is beyond me, but it doesn't.

The TW addon is ok for a fun computer game using your club instead of a mouse, but does not seem to capture anything to do with your swing other than distance, and even for that is way off of the p3pro distance. If you set the TW game to 150%, then the distance is about the same as p3pro. You can hit a ball on purpose to the left but it still goes down the middle on the game, and you can't hook or slice. Some players may actually like this .
    Now that my golf season is over I'm getting ready to setup the P3Pro again.

I was just wondering if any of the recent software updates have improved the Tiger Woods game play for the P3Pro?

Thanks,
    SoD

I have not tried TW since the new upgrades and don’t plan to. My main goal with the simulator is to practice on the driving range. I rarely play a game unless I have friends over.

Mike

Pitching Wedge Shorthitter is on a distinguished road
    How many of you are using UHMW tapes? How often do you have to "retape"? My lubricant is about to run out and am looking for alternatives...

I don’t use UHMV tape. I’m too much of an aggressive swinger. The UHMV tape does not last 5 swings. I don’t use black tape on my irons ether, only on my woods because without it the sensors can’t read the head when it passes through. I lube every 10-15 swings. The pad is still in perfect condition.

A must buy for our long winter and keep you game in top shape.

Mike

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar

Tiger Woods Addon Review

Hey All,

I have been using the P3ProSwing system for over 3 years now and absolutely love it! I purchased my system from Jason at e-Tail Golf too just like lms. As soon as I found out that Jason retired, I jumped at the opportunity to represent P3ProSwing in Canada. (Being a fellow Canadian golfer, I wanted to ensure all Canadians wouldn't have to deal with the shipping and customs charges/delays and would rather support a Canadian economy). I have now been selling the system for about 2 years and everyone loves it just as much as I do!

OK, the quick background on me leads to this review. I have sold a lot of systems to a larger variety of golfers and businesses and always follow-up for feedback. So, based on my personal experience and the feedback of my clients here it is...

The Tiger Woods game is a great economical way to add courses to your system and can be a lot of fun to play (especially in party situations with a few beverages). However, because the Tiger Woods PC game was designed to be used with a mouse, the algorithms are a lot different than P3Pro's proprietary software and that means limited accuracy.

For those not interested in the technology of it, just skip the next couple of paragraphs...
    Basically when a mouse is used to swing a club, you are measuring the speed, FWD/BK angles and the Side-Side Angles. The system must determine the ball flight based on this limited information. With the P3ProSwing, the system directly measures what your club is doing:
    • Left/Right of Center
    • Up/Down Swing Path
    • Club Face Angle
    • Swing Path Angle
    • Toe/Heel Height
    • Swing Tempo
    • Impact Spot
    • Club Head Speed
    • Launch Angle (optional)

All of these measurements largely affect what the ball is doing; and therefore will be much more accurate in the proprietary P3ProSwing software as opposed to the Tiger Woods software. With the interface you can also adjust the distances to give you a more accurate representation, but some of the missing measurements needed to calculate the ball flight are estimated. Things like the club loft/strength, hit power, launch angle, ball spin, etc. are all pre-determined in the software. (Yes, you can change the power of your swing by selecting it from the menu – this further explains why the accuracy is off).

OK, enough with the analytics of it, is it worth playing right??? The answer is maybe. Why maybe? Well it depends on what you are looking to get out of the system.

For the newbie golfer: this could be a lot of fun to play, but if you are interested in improving your game it may not give you the accuracy you need to make the right adjustments and you may end up frustrated why you are not making any progress. Adversely, if you are someone who gets too frustrated by not being able to play right away, the latitude of accuracy may show your shots going further and straighter than they really are and allow you to gain confidence to play more often (this is great for my wife, as it got her more interested in playing).

For the average golfer: Great for some added fun on the course and is always a big hit when having friends and family over. You can setup players and really get detailed on your game. The online play feature is awesome, as you can play against other people who have the Tiger Woods game (they say that other players could be on other systems like Xbox; although I have never personally tried it). As long as you can separate the game from the analytics, it is definitely worthwhile. If you crave something more accurate, the new courses are much better.

For the pro: Stay far far away. From the feedback of the pros who use this system, not only is it not accurate enough for them, but most feel that the graphics are too “gamey”. They feel that by using a game like this, it can really throw off their game (must be using the analytical side of their brain instead of the creative side J).

For instructors/clubfitters: Run and hide – a great way to confuse your students: why are they doing so well on Tiger Woods and not on the proprietary software? Most of my clients in these fields really appreciate the analytics of the P3ProSwing and just focus on that.

For virtual golf centers: Great fun, but warn your clients in advance. Most clients want to come in, have a drink and play a round of golf. However, some clients really want to go in to improve their game. Just be sure when they use this software that you let them know that it is not 100% accurate. You can offer virtual golf at a lower price and get a good market share to boost your business.

For business owners: Great for potential clients! If you want to entertain your clients and/or staff, the Tiger Woods courses can really get people to relax and have some fun. And it is much cheaper than taking them out to the course! Sometimes a little leeway can mean the difference between making a sale with a happy client or not making a sale because the customer is frustrated with their game.

OK, now that I have gone through the basic list, there is more feedback that I just can’t type about any more (it’s breakfast time LOL).

Just a quick couple of other notes that are really important in my mind…

Graphics
    The graphics on Tiger Woods 2008 are great – if you don’t mind it being a little gamey. The video options are very cool and can really make the whole experience a lot of fun.

Setup
    I personally found the setup to take too long – I prefer to just type may name and go. One night we spent half and hour setting up 3 guys (we almost finished our beers before we got to play one hole!). Well, maybe for some that may be a good thing LOL. Some of my clients really like the setup feature and even love being able to play as, or against, Tiger himself.

Discontinued PC Software
    Well I have heard the rumours that EA Sports is not putting out any more PC versions of this software and moving to an online-version only. I don’t know if this is entirely true, but the last version they have for the PC is 2008. If you are ok with using the older software, it really isn’t a bad thing. I did like the option that you could always add more courses with the new TW software, but that’s technology for you.

What about the Optishot?
    The Tiger Woods interface on the P3ProSwing is way more accurate than the Optishot by Dancing Dogg (every shot I hit went completely straight and I have a fade from my outside-in swing path). The 16 sensors as opposed to the 65 in the P3Pro, as well as the limited interface of the Optishot, make the Tiger Woods game almost useless. It’s a good thing that they are moving to free courses with their 3DD golf software!

INFORMATION OVERLOAD?
    Yup, there is a lot to this system, but it can be a heck-of-a-lot-of-fun!

If you still want more information, or would like to get a system, options or accessories at great prices with no customs charges (and support a Canadian economy), then feel free to email me at cory@par2pro.com or visit my website www.par2pro.com or www.P3ProSwingCanada.com.

My goal is to revolutionize the golf simulator industry by providing customers with unbiased, experienced information. I love the technology and love the whole golf simulator / swing analysis experience and want to share that passion with anyone who is interested.

Keep Your Eye on the Ball,
    Cory Gauvreau
    Par2Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SodCuTTeR View Post
    Have any of you guys purchased the Tiger Woods addon for the P3Pro simulator yet?
    http://www.p3proswing.com/play/tigerwoods.php

I'm looking for a few reviews before I spend $80 on the upgrade and another $25 or so on the game.

Thanks,
    SodCuTTeR

Ryder Cup Par2Pro is on a distinguished road Par2Pro's Avatar

Taping Clubs - Quick Trick

Hey Mike,

Just a quick tip that my instructor taught me is to use scotch tape to keep the reflective strips on longer. The manufacturer won't tell you that because they want you to buy more strips (those crzy knuckle-heads).

We have been doing that at our Golf Center for over a year now and the reflective strips tend to last about 10-25 times longer (depending on the golfer of course).

Hope that helps,
    Cory Gauvreau
    Par2Pro
    www.par2pro.com

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I don’t use UHMV tape. I’m too much of an aggressive swinger. The UHMV tape does not last 5 swings. I don’t use black tape on my irons ether, only on my woods because without it the sensors can’t read the head when it passes through. I lube every 10-15 swings. The pad is still in perfect condition.

A must buy for our long winter and keep you game in top shape.

Mike

Putter P3 Steve is on a distinguished road
    Wow this is an old thread but I came across it in a google search so thought I would register and reply. We at P3 are actually running a new guarantee on our Pro X and Pro XS units. Not only can you return your simulator within 30 days but P3 will actually give you $100 in cash. We are confident our system is the best on the market.

This is the link to the deal. http://www.p3proswing.com/index.php/p3-super-guarantee/

Thread Information