100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    8 Iron Yankflank is on a distinguished road

Ottawa-Gatineau GOLFEXPO news; Ottawa Golf Putting Challenge returns

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Does anybody know if there will be demo clubs or new clubs for sale? I am looking for a fairway wood.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Golf Liquidators will be there. There will also be a demo range with some manufacturers letting you try their newest clubs - but you'll have to go to Golf Town or a pro shop afterwards to buy them.

5 Wood rossigm is on a distinguished road rossigm's Avatar
    To be honest the Ottawa Golf show isn't really worth it. I stopped going years ago (pre-covid). Just isn't worth driving all the way down to EY Center and to have to pay for parking (Saturday) just isn't worth my time and money. They fill out empty spots with kiosks not related to golf like Micro Breweries, insurance companies, curling, axe throwing, kids play area etc....just so the hug hall doesn't look empty.

Administrator MikeRaganold is on a distinguished road MikeRaganold's Avatar
    If you want a new or demo club, you will definitely find what you want at Golf Expo - all club makers will be there so you can try before you buy. Plus, Ottawa Golf has rounds of golf to give away at the OttawaGolf.com $10,000 Putting Challenge - PLAY TO WIN big prizes including a "Golf Getaway" for two any where you like unlimited golf, accommodations, flights, all inclusive food & drink... come say hello. If you want complimentary tickets, PM me.

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rossigm View Post
    To be honest the Ottawa Golf show isn't really worth it. I stopped going years ago (pre-covid). Just isn't worth driving all the way down to EY Center and to have to pay for parking (Saturday) just isn't worth my time and money. They fill out empty spots with kiosks not related to golf like Micro Breweries, insurance companies, curling, axe throwing, kids play area etc....just so the hug hall doesn't look empty.

All clubs on demo can be purchased from Canadian Proshop Online who sponsors the demos or go to your local golf club to buy. It is better to support your local owners than to put money in the pockets of an American Company. Do not go to GOLF TOWN - shop local!!!

And for all your repairs, go see John Kennedy at Golf Logics, 1292 Wellington St - call 613-514-0113.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Golf Liquidators will be there. There will also be a demo range with some manufacturers letting you try their newest clubs - but you'll have to go to Golf Town or a pro shop afterwards to buy them.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRaganold View Post
    All clubs on demo can be purchased from Canadian Proshop Online who sponsors the demos or go to your local golf club to buy. It is better to support your local owners than to put money in the pockets of an American Company. Do not go to GOLF TOWN - shop local!!!

And for all your repairs, go see John Kennedy at Golf Logics, 1292 Wellington St - call 613-514-0113.
    Agree that you get great service at local green grass golf retailers, I buy most of my stuff through my club mostly at prices below what GolfTown sells for. That said, I like GolfTown too.

GolfTown is not an American company. It was originally started by an American but was then turned into a TSE listed income trust back in the heyday of income trusts. OMERS, the Ontario municipal employee pension plan, then bought it and took it private, merging its operations with US based Golfsmith (but still remaining Canadian owned). Golfsmith evanutally went bankrupt and OMERS sold GolfTown to Fairfax (a Canadian company) who merged it with Sporting Life.

Anyways, Golf Expo is Mar 1 & 2. Come say hello at the OttawaGolf.com $10,000 Putting Challenge.

Cheers

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Agree that you get great service at local green grass golf retailers, I buy most of my stuff through my club mostly at prices below what GolfTown sells for. That said, I like GolfTown too.

GolfTown is not an American company. It was originally started by an American but was then turned into a TSE listed income trust back in the heyday of income trusts. OMERS, the Ontario municipal employee pension plan, then bought it and took it private, merging its operations with US based Golfsmith (but still remaining Canadian owned). Golfsmith evanutally went bankrupt and OMERS sold GolfTown to Fairfax (a Canadian company) who merged it with Sporting Life.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Great post Jax!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gap Wedge GolfLogics is on a distinguished road GolfLogics's Avatar
    Hey Lefty!

Thanks we just need the community to understand how fragile the industry will and could be again in the future.

It's up to the golfers to support the people who are there to support the local golf community.

Nice to see you are back to the land of the normal (Canadian weather) Lefty!

Guys are just itching to get outside and hit some balls!
    GOLF LOGIC'S GOLF CLUB REPAIR CENTRE
    OTTAWA'S LOGICAL GOLF CLUB REPAIR CHOICE

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I went to the Golf Show this year. Tried some new clubs (Cobra, Callaway, & Haywood irons). Not much else for me, first time back since the OAC days of the golf show. Used to come home with a bag full of coupons for 2 for 1 for green fees at courses to try in the spring, wife was surprised I came home empty handed (No coupons from any courses). Nothing else was really there for me personally. Parking cost more than the entrance fee to get in. I think I am good for another 10 years. Like others, I usually get my clubs from a friend who is a pro at a golf course as well.

Gap Wedge The Enigma is on a distinguished road
    The Golf Show is not a special event... anymore.

Golf Town over the years has actually reduced the variety of products with their house brands, which for the golfer reduces the choices and the number of different suppliers and ideas available.

Before Golf Town there was a lot more choice (and jobs) with all the independent stores across the city. Big box stores are bad for innovation and competition. And the Golf Show WAS a special event because of the retail competition.

Most courses and commentators think the COVID bump is permanent... I beg to differ.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Have to agree with Bogeygolf...it was nice coming home with a few freebies and 2 for 1 coupons. Always looked forward to that. Now, the golf show, at least for me, is more of a social event. Going with a couple of buddies, talking to a few friends in the various booths and hitting a few of the new offerings. I dont mind paying a few bucks to get in, but cmon....that parking fee is ridiculous. I am sure more people would attend if the parking was free. The OAC used to be packed..(smaller venue yada yada yada)

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Went with a friend Friday night, between the 2 for 1 ticket and parking we paid $12.50 each. I got a coupon for Smugglers and I know Oaks of Cobden had a good deal on a foursome-$100 or $120 can’t recall. I bought 2 passes for Tremblant for $200. Bought a shirt for $35. All in all I enjoyed it but depends what you are looking for.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information