CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road

Best Course in Ottawa

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    Interesting view?

Gap Wedge The Enigma is on a distinguished road
    I have played all but 3, and tend to agree with the negative reviews.
    (The 3 I haven't played... I can't afford, or have friends at Camelot, Hunt Club or Royal Ottawa)

Two courses that have improved quality (but I question cost increases), Pineview and Edgewood.

Pricing is the biggest barrier to increasing the numbers of new golfers... unless there is a pandemic!

And when the operators start seeing the same decreases as before 2020 I wonder if they will see the light (not holding my breath).

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar
    Wow ... Champlain in the top 25. Lost my respect based on that ranking. Whoever made this list drove 1 1/4 hours to Montebello, but Renfrew, Perth, Oaks of Cobden, Prescott, Mississippi are WAAAAAYYY better courses than Champlain and within the 75 minute drive limit. I'm sure there are others I haven't played.
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Hilarious. Montebello while a solid track, has been a disaster from a conditioning perspective for a long time. No way you can rate it as #1 and besides it’s not even remotely close to Ottawa. And he can’t even take 2 minutes to look up the two nines along Hawthorne at the meadows which are south and west, not south and north. Embarrassing. No mention of any courses in the valley.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Hilarious. Montebello while a solid track, has been a disaster from a conditioning perspective for a long time. No way you can rate it as #1 and besides it’s not even remotely close to Ottawa. And he can’t even take 2 minutes to look up the two nines along Hawthorne at the meadows which are south and west, not south and north. Embarrassing. No mention of any courses in the valley.
    I don't know if there are more than two main guys associated with that blog, but they clearly have a thing for Montebello. I get it, the bones are there, but it has been completely neglected and it's tough to rate something in the present on it's potential (with nothing planned), or on it's history.

Aside from that, I think the point is that beyond the top few courses, everything else around here is meh. In that vein, does it really matter which 9s elevate Meadows to 20th spot on a mediocre list?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Perhaps. But if you can’t take 2 minutes to figure out which two 9’s those are then it just comes off as bush league and hard to take seriously. He hacks apart eagle creek (and rates it below Hylands) partly due to conditions but I’m not sure I’ve played a worse course condition wise than Montebello in the past 5 years.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Agree with all you guys, this ranking system is not good.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Gap Wedge The Enigma is on a distinguished road
    While I tend to agree with the negative reviews.
    The rankings are questionable and leaves out many local courses... say within 30, 45mins of the city center.

But it is nice to see some criticism... that is rare in the golf industry

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Nation in the same category with Champlain and Tecumseh..... hmmmm

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eez View Post
    Wow ... Champlain in the top 25. Lost my respect based on that ranking. Whoever made this list drove 1 1/4 hours to Montebello, but Renfrew, Perth, Oaks of Cobden, Prescott, Mississippi are WAAAAAYYY better courses than Champlain and within the 75 minute drive limit. I'm sure there are others I haven't played.
    I agree, Renfrew is better Champlain, or Tecumseh, I prefer to play Hawkesbury over Montebello (silly 1st hole to start)

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    The Hunt is the best course around. Montebello was in almost unplayable shape when we played it 2 years ago and I heard last year it was even worse. It’s foreign owned and up for sale, so I doubt there will be any improvement this season.

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Whitetail and Dragonfly in my opinion are tops

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Enigma View Post
    I have played all but 3, and tend to agree with the negative reviews.
    (The 3 I haven't played... I can't afford, or have friends at Camelot, Hunt Club or Royal Ottawa)

Two courses that have improved quality (but I question cost increases), Pineview and Edgewood.

Pricing is the biggest barrier to increasing the numbers of new golfers... unless there is a pandemic!

And when the operators start seeing the same decreases as before 2020 I wonder if they will see the light (not holding my breath).
    Good points but the courses are under the same inflation pressures as everyone else so it is cut costs or raise prices.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    That list has to be a joke. Hunt isn’t in the same category as Montebello. It isn’t even close. There are arguments to be made with some other names when you consider the course relative to price but if you are setting cost to play aside the top 5 are Hunt, Royal, Camelot, Rideau View and Rivermead. Falls off after that (sorry EC, I don’t know what happened there).

And golf is still packed. Lots of people “working” from home and still plenty of discretionary money floating around. I bet we see a different story in 2-3 years but for now there are still lengthy waiting lists despite dues and initiation fees going UP!

Thread Information