CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Adding an inch to my driver shaft

I had it cout down to 44" a while ago because of my slice but now its gone after 5 lessons so i wanted to add the inch back. I was curious how much head spead does adding an inch to a driver usually add? I swing at about 100-105mph right now with the 44" shaft (got tested) so with an extra inch will it go up alot? I heard that if you have good mechanics you can increase your distance 2 yards for everyone 1mph increase in head speed.. true?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Don't extend it. If you are hitting it well at 44", leave it there.

Very few people can actually benefit from the extra length. It's actually harder to swing a long club faster, not to mention hit it on the center, so you'll probably end up losing both distance and accuracy.

"Richard"
    Thanks for the reply, I actually had it cut down because of the slice so the golf coach said that instead of playing golf just take it to the range and practice, no need to cut it down but I told him I'd be playing alot and he suggested to just cut it down and after a few weeks of lessons to just get it extended again. I just want to extend it back to what I bought it at. I'm hitting it straight and pretty par but depending on how much an extra inch will add to my distance.. I might not do it. if its only going to add 2-5 yards then its ok ,I don't need it. But if its going to add something like 10 yards then I'll get it. Any ideas how much 1 inch can add if at 44" I'm clocked at 105?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Any ideas how much 1 inch can add if at 44" I'm clocked at 105?
    If your club head speed is 105MPH with a 44" and 105MPH with a 45" driver, you will get the same distance.

You are assuming that by lengthening the driver you will actually get more speed. This is NOT always true. Many people have found that they can swing shorter clubs as fast as or FASTER than their long clubs. This is because the Moment of Inertia for the shorter club is smaller, i.e. it is easier to swing faster.

Assuming you are a swing robot, 1" extra on a 44" driver will add about 2% to your club speed/distance. So 5 yards at best if you already hit it 250 yards. This assumes you are still making perfect contact and are actually able to generate more speed at the longer length.

"Richard"
    forget it then

Thread Information