100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Hit by lightning

Just read this about two golfers hit by lightning yesterday. It seems that its around the Lock March course but not 100% sure. Hits home as we all have been caught on a course during a storm. Hopefully they recover.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Hope they made it through. There is not a whole lot you can do if you are on the course far from any shelter.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    Hope they made it through. There is not a whole lot you can do if you are on the course far from any shelter.
    Is it true that you can't be struck if you're in a cart? Are shelters grounded?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    The idea is to get off the course before it is too late. We were out on Saturday in Muskoka and could see visually and on radar a big storm approaching. We get the heck off before the rain and thunder started but too many people stay out on the course hoping it will pass and with nowhere to go.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Can a golf cart be struck by lightning?
    Just because motor vehicles are considered safe in a storm doesn't mean your golf cart is, too. Unlike your car, truck, or SUV, golf carts are not entirely enclosed with metal. In fact, most golf carts are made of fiberglass, making you the “path of least resistance.”Aug 24, 2021

A few years ago i saw a report on TV about this. They put a bird in a metal birdcage and zapped with high current. The bird survived. Also most people think that the rubber tires on the carts keep you safe. Not true.

Gap Wedge GolfLogics is on a distinguished road GolfLogics's Avatar
    It's sad that this happened for sure but every year I hear the same sad story.

I grew up on a golf course. Weather is a serious thing that we can't take with a grain of salt.

This is why we have systems in place . Watch the radar on your phone . It's 2023 we have them with us all the time.

We have the horns and siren system on the course for a good reason. When you hear it you need to take cover somewhere safe. By the time you hear the horn there is lightning in the area and you ARE in danger.

Don't worry about getting wet forget the umbrella get to someone safe before it gets bad. Once the thunder cell is over you its too late. You should have been heading to the clubhouse when you saw the system moving in.

Be scared your chance of being burned maimed loosing limbs and dying is real.
    Take it seriously don't be that person that plays through it or thinks it won't happen to them. Do it enough times and it will!

In the years of being on my family's golf course I can remember five people dying and numerous others being hurt from lightning strikes lightning flashover and trees being hit and injuring golfers.

That was just one course. This is not something that is just a freak accident it happens all the time.

The sad part is some mom and dad girlfriend wife or children are now without someone they love and need because of a mistake they made on a day they were just trying to enjoy a nice round of golf.

My heart goes out to all of them now suffering the loss.

BE SMART GET OFF THE COURSE WHILE YOU CAN BEFORE THE STORM IS OVER YOU!!
    GOLF LOGIC'S GOLF CLUB REPAIR CENTRE
    OTTAWA'S LOGICAL GOLF CLUB REPAIR CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by GolfLogics View Post
    It's sad that this happened for sure but every year I hear the same sad story.

I grew up on a golf course. Weather is a serious thing that we can't take with a grain of salt.

This is why we have systems in place . Watch the radar on your phone . It's 2023 we have them with us all the time.

We have the horns and siren system on the course for a good reason. When you hear it you need to take cover somewhere safe. By the time you hear the horn there is lightning in the area and you ARE in danger.

Don't worry about getting wet forget the umbrella get to someone safe before it gets bad. Once the thunder cell is over you its too late. You should have been heading to the clubhouse when you saw the system moving in.

Be scared your chance of being burned maimed loosing limbs and dying is real.
    Take it seriously don't be that person that plays through it or thinks it won't happen to them. Do it enough times and it will!

In the years of being on my family's golf course I can remember five people dying and numerous others being hurt from lightning strikes lightning flashover and trees being hit and injuring golfers.

That was just one course. This is not something that is just a freak accident it happens all the time.

The sad part is some mom and dad girlfriend wife or children are now without someone they love and need because of a mistake they made on a day they were just trying to enjoy a nice round of golf.

My heart goes out to all of them now suffering the loss.

BE SMART GET OFF THE COURSE WHILE YOU CAN BEFORE THE STORM IS OVER YOU!!
    Great advise. Thank you for posting. Sadly, i see many golfers that keep on playing when the sky is threatening. The other thing is some courses do not have shelters on the course. I *ed about this as a member for years at my course but nothing got done.

Gap Wedge GolfLogics is on a distinguished road GolfLogics's Avatar
    Sometimes golfers are either ignorant (don't understand) or think it won't happen to them (chances are it will and can).

Don't chance it. If not for yourself think of your family or dog or something that really cares about you.

Talk to the owners or the board at your golf course. Shelters are not cheap and believe me running a golf course is not the cash cow people think it is. But there should be a few that can be quickly accessed accross the course.

The safest thing to do is get to real shelter (clubhouse maintenance shed etc.) as soon as you hear weather is approaching.

If your caught by a quicker moving violent storm leave your clubs (go back and get them later as much as you love them they are not worth dying for) get the metal off your body (rings chains belt buckle etc) get as low as you can and do not be the tallest object in the area.

Stay away from trees or where a tree or limb (limbs weight hundreds of pounds and will kill you) can fall on you or where you can get hit by lighting flash from a tree getting hit.

When we had the course I don't know how many times I had to go out and rescue people caught in severe weather. Lots found it funny. Not once I explain the peril they put themselves and myself in though.

It's about educating people. Many just think it's a nice thunder storm and they think it will just pass. Unfortunately too many people pass away because of this train of thinking.

The above may sound extreme but lightning is simple physics. It will get you unless your smart about it and take those precautions.

Please talk to the new golfers and the junior players put the fear of something into them if that is what it takes to pass the word along and educate them.

And for the people who have been around long enough to know better. Make better choices. 👍

Okay I now have to get on with fixing all your clubs!

BE SAFE - HAVE FUN - ENJOY OUR WONDERFUL GAME & MAKE IT HOME TO YOUR FAMILY SAFE.
    GOLF LOGIC'S GOLF CLUB REPAIR CENTRE
    OTTAWA'S LOGICAL GOLF CLUB REPAIR CHOICE

Gap Wedge The Enigma is on a distinguished road
    Sad to report one died...the other in a medically induced coma...
    One of my neighbors is a life time friend of both

They tried to hide under a tree...

Your safer to just lie down on the ground and get wet!!!
    Don't be the highest point or anywhere near it!!!!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Enigma View Post
    Sad to report one died...the other in a medically induced coma...
    One of my neighbors is a life time friend of both

They tried to hide under a tree...

Your safer to just lie down on the ground and get wet!!!
    Don't be the highest point or anywhere near it!!!!
    Sorry to hear that. A tree is the last place you should be for both lightning and it falling on you.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

So sorry to hear that. Condolences to friends and family.

7 Iron Kyaku is on a distinguished road
    Condolences to your neighbour. Hate to hear this news. Prayers to the one fighting in a coma.

Pitching Wedge Budapest is on a distinguished road
    Get away from your clubs. Same with a cart if you’re riding. If no ravines or gully lie flat in a bunker.

Thread Information