COVID-19 and golf

Printable View

Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
It can kill anybody. What's your point?
Quote:

• What is the mortality rate for those who are neither seniors nor have pre-existing conditions?
  • Again, what's your point? Are you suggesting that seniors and those with pre-existing conditions don't matter?
    Quote:

• Why are deaths attributed to pneumonia sharply down this year?
  • Duh, because these same people are at the highest risk for dying from COVID-19, which kills them first.
    Quote:

• Why are hospitals using Covid-19 'diagnosis codes' when patients die of unrelated issues?
  • Really? This sounds like something from some wacko conspiracy website.
    Quote:

• Within any region, how do the total number of deaths attributed to Covid-19, flu or other contagious ailments compare to recent years?
  • COVID-19 did not even exist until December 2019 - its a little early to make yearly comparisons.
    Quote:

That would be 90,000 flu deaths per year vs. 20,000 COVID-19 deaths mostly in the last month. Not exactly a good comparison...
    Quote:

I don't like being manipulated or lied to - if I wanted any of that, I'd ask my teenager why he was home late from school (now a distant memory). I will continue to follow the guidelines to keep my family and others safe, and am making the most of our "mandatory bonding time" (which has been great, to be honest) but.....something's not right here, and I can feel it in my creaky bones.

I don't own (or rent) a tinfoil hat, so feel free to rebut but counter with facts to the contrary (I'd love to be wrong here) instead of the usual ad hominem when tightly held world views are challenged.

My Dad (recently RIP) always drilled into us the importance of critical thinking when watching the nightly news or reading any statistics.....I can hear him clearly now.
    North America has had the advantage of being one of the last places hit, so we've seen (and hopefully learned from) what is happening elsewhere in the world. Those countries that have ignored it are paying a steep price, and those that took swift and immediate action are coping.

This is not a new thing - only new to us. The Black Plague killed at least 100 million people in the 1400's, and the Spanish Flu killed at least 50 million people only a 100 years ago. So don't think it can't happen here. I can stay home for a month or two if that's what it takes.
  • 04-13-2020 10:01 PM
    Gobble_It
    There is some hope for golf soon

https://www.vicnews.com/sports/golf-...fety-measures/

Ford is going to extend the state of emergency for another 28 days...That will take us to second week of May. Most courses around Ottawa don't open until mid or end of May.. Still hoping for a full season !
  • 04-14-2020 08:47 AM
    Michael
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobble_It View Post
    There is some hope for golf soon

https://www.vicnews.com/sports/golf-...fety-measures/

Ford is going to extend the state of emergency for another 28 days...That will take us to second week of May. Most courses around Ottawa don't open until mid or end of May.. Still hoping for a full season !

Believe that will take us to 12 May when legislature is scheduled to return.
  • 04-15-2020 11:01 AM
    Gangrel
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 62395

this is why Covid has to be taken more seriously than the flu.
  • 04-15-2020 12:02 PM
    rossigm
    Hi,

There's currently a petition going around asking the premier of Quebec François Legault to let the golf courses open during the COVID-19.

https://www.change.org/p/gouvernemen..._share_initial

I'd feel safer going golfing outside on acres and acres of property rather then going at the grocery store...... as long as the basic rules of distancing are followed.

- Tee times every 10 minutes
    - One person at a time in the pro shop (pay your green fee (credit card only ''TAP' and get out) you can't buy balls/tees/shoes etc...
    - No power cart (golf courses don't have enough to send out 4 per group and 2 person in a cart is not social distancing)
    - No ball washer
    - No rake
    - Flag stick welded to the bottom of the cup with a 3-4 inch pool noddle at the bottom so the ball doesn't go all the way down. And yes welded because some dumb ass will still try to take the pin out.
    - No beer cart
    - No club house

And if you not comfortable with that don't bother complaining just stay home until it's over.
  • 04-15-2020 01:00 PM
    Michael
    I don't think 10 minutes between tee times is enough to avoid back-ups at some courses.
  • 04-15-2020 01:05 PM
    BARGEGOLF
    Under the physical distancing constraints, Public course green fees will have to be jacked up significantly to generate sufficient revenue to make it close to viable. 2somes with fewer tee times. Negligible pro shop, food and beer revenues...
  • 04-15-2020 01:40 PM
    BC MIST
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post

Here are a few of the documented facts that nobody ever talks about:
    • Around 90,000 Italians died from the flu and related symptoms just 2 years ago, mostly among the elderly who are the most prone to succumbing. Even if you accept the official Covid-19 numbers, their official death total right now is just under 20,000 (source: John Hopkins tracker)

I have not read all the posts so this simple point may have been made previously. IMO, the NUMBER of deaths is irrelevant, but the RATE of death is. If the death rate from the mostly preventable flu is.1% and using some current COVID-19 statistics, the latter has a world wide death rate of 6.4%. Simply means that one has 64 times the chance of dying from this virus than the flu at any age and obviously much greater than that if your my age.

Plus, there is currently no cure or vaccine.
  • 04-15-2020 03:54 PM
    ex-mailman
    The reason the rate is so high is that very few people in relation to the population are being tested. So the ones that die are counted but those that get it and survive are not being tested.
  • 04-15-2020 05:11 PM
    SnazzyD
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    I have not read all the posts so this simple point may have been made previously. IMO, the NUMBER of deaths is irrelevant, but the RATE of death is. If the death rate from the mostly preventable flu is.1% and using some current COVID-19 statistics, the latter has a world wide death rate of 6.4%. Simply means that one has 64 times the chance of dying from this virus than the flu at any age and obviously much greater than that if your my age.

Plus, there is currently no cure or vaccine.

I agree. The mortality rate is key.....but the numbers we are being shown are grossly inaccurate and misleading, for several reasons:
    1. the number of deaths reports as being "Covid-19 related" is being inflated (A)
    2. the number of confirmed cases is way, way under-reported (B)
    3. the mortality rate isn't being broken down by age/health conditions

A/B is the mortality rate you're referring to, and for the reasons above we can safely assume the true number is nowhere near 6.4%. And if you broke down a more realistic figure for mortality rate by age and health condition, you would see that the general population (younger, healthy) are at very little risk, while older people and those with pre-existing conditions are at a very high risk, just as they are with the flu every year.

The other thing they aren't talking about is the impact this is having on mental health, physical well-being and the many kinds of fallout occurring when people's livelihoods are destroyed.

The real numbers don't support the over-reaction. The damage being done to the world economy and societies everywhere is orders of magnitude greater than the disease itself.

It concerns me that so few people are questioning any of this...
  • 04-15-2020 10:13 PM
    justsomeguy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BARGEGOLF View Post
    Under the physical distancing constraints, Public course green fees will have to be jacked up significantly to generate sufficient revenue to make it close to viable. 2somes with fewer tee times. Negligible pro shop, food and beer revenues...

Very, very few golf courses are public only in this area. Almost all have some combination of members (who have already paid their fees) and public golfers. I'm sure that course maintenance is the biggest cost - and they are already paying out that money.

The real danger is if the courses are closed for half the summer, they're going to have to refund a portion of members fees or risk losing them next year. Plus all the tournaments that will be cancelled even if the courses do open. Its going to be tough year either way.
  • 04-15-2020 11:44 PM
    justsomeguy
    Quote:

I concerns me that you are stating so many things as FACT without a shred of evidence.

There is absolutely no evidence that COVID-19 deaths are inflated - in fact there is considerable evidence of the exact opposite. The death toll in China is so ridiculously low (especially since it started there), that the only question is whether the actual numbers are 4, 6 or 10 times what they are reporting.

I'm not sure what your point is about under-reporting of actual cases either. Do you think that 50,000 cases is somehow better? You get sick, and you either recover or you die - the other numbers are not that important.

As for your last point, well I guess your ageism is showing. Old people matter too.

Its not fun staying at home, not playing golf and having everything closed - I get that. But implying that young people should be able to do whatever they want because even if they get this highly-contagious, deadly disease with no known cure or vaccine they (probably) won't die from it - well that's just being selfish and I don't get that. So stop spouting conspiracy theories and suck it up for a few more weeks. You'll manage - and us geezers will thank you for it.
  • 04-15-2020 11:55 PM
    prophet
    Quote:

I agree. The mortality rate is key.....but the numbers we are being shown are grossly inaccurate and misleading, for several reasons:
    1. the number of deaths reports as being "Covid-19 related" is being inflated (A)
    2. the number of confirmed cases is way, way under-reported (B)
    3. the mortality rate isn't being broken down by age/health conditions

A/B is the mortality rate you're referring to, and for the reasons above we can safely assume the true number is nowhere near 6.4%. And if you broke down a more realistic figure for mortality rate by age and health condition, you would see that the general population (younger, healthy) are at very little risk, while older people and those with pre-existing conditions are at a very high risk, just as they are with the flu every year.

The other thing they aren't talking about is the impact this is having on mental health, physical well-being and the many kinds of fallout occurring when people's livelihoods are destroyed.

The real numbers don't support the over-reaction. The damage being done to the world economy and societies everywhere is orders of magnitude greater than the disease itself.

Last year if an 80 year old man would have died of pneumonia nobody would have batted an eyelash probably said he lived a good life this year not so much .when was the last time anyone heard of someone dying of cancer or heart disease?
  • 04-16-2020 08:13 AM
    Jasonreg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Its not fun staying at home, not playing golf and having everything closed - I get that. But implying that young people should be able to do whatever they want because even if they get this highly-contagious, deadly disease with no known cure or vaccine they (probably) won't die from it - well that's just being selfish and I don't get that. So stop spouting conspiracy theories and suck it up for a few more weeks. You'll manage - and us geezers will thank you for it.

Well said.
  • 04-16-2020 09:35 PM
    prophet
    https://falcon-golf.com/
  • 04-17-2020 08:16 AM
    1800Duffers
    Cool idea, how deep does the pole go into the ground?
  • 04-17-2020 10:07 AM
    mjf
    I like this design better: https://twitter.com/CobblestoneGolf/...71223929335809

Hands keep further away from the hole / flagstick.
  • 04-17-2020 11:40 AM
    BC MIST
    Quote:

.....you would see that the general population (younger, healthy) are at very little risk, while older people and those with pre-existing conditions are at a very high risk, just as they are with the flu every year.

Is this then a suggestion that we open everything up, which would likely increase the spread of the virus resulting mostly in the deaths of those of us who are older, in order to save the livelihoods and mental health of those that are younger?
  • Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
    Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast